3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Cold Air Intake

I was thinking about getting a CAI for my 92 se. I have seen some of your engines and almost all the CAI's require cutting and relocating the battery and fuses. I would rather not cut or relocate anything. I also saw a short ram that had its own aftermarket pipes and cone with a foam square around it. Stillen also has a kit but they did not specify what comes in it. The only other ones i have seen are the kits on ebay. If you have purchased a kit and had a good experience with it please let me know and put up picture. What should i do?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by GUS'MAXIMA
I was thinking about getting a CAI for my 92 se. I have seen some of your engines and almost all the CAI's require cutting and relocating the battery and fuses. I would rather not cut or relocate anything. I also saw a short ram that had its own aftermarket pipes and cone with a foam square around it. Stillen also has a kit but they did not specify what comes in it. The only other ones i have seen are the kits on ebay. If you have purchased a kit and had a good experience with it please let me know and put up picture. What should i do?
I'm gonna cry.....

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...cai-stock.html

Read through it, all of it
Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Battery relocation? That's some CAI. You can absolutely install a CAI without relocating the battery. At worst, you may have to move the rectangular fuse box mounted on the wall. I think I just had to redrill one hole and put a nut on the other side to remount it. You will have to cut some sheet metal to get into the fender area.

If that is too much for you, you could run additional custom piping down below the battery, between the tranny and the charcoal canister, then drill a hole through the plastic splash guard into the fender....Cone filter would most likely have to be turned up though (not good, will be less resistant to possible misture being sucked in.). If you go down through the top, the filter would be aimed down. Water could reach near the top of the filter, but as long as there is some filter left to air, it is least likely to pull in any water. But, anytime you get a wet filter, moisture sucked in is a possibility.

Is this an aversion to cutting, inexperience with modding, or laziness?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM

I just dont want to be cutting anything. The moving of the fuse box is not a big deal.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by GUS'MAXIMA
I just dont want to be cutting anything. The moving of the fuse box is not a big deal.
get a short ram if u dont want any cutting...i think that would be better for u...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:51 AM

I found this short ram and looks pretty good.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=232&pid=1603

They also have this one but i think it will need cutting.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...id=188&pid=759
Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I can has?

You know if you go with the 1993 Honda Accord CAI the amount of cutting is ridiculously little right? There is just a tiny bit of unused and useless small flaps of metal behind the drivers side headlight that needs to be TRIMMED. You don't have to use any power tools. All you need are some handheld metal snips. Like these:

If you want a CAI, as far as I know, you will HAVE to do a minimal amount of cutting so your pipe has access into the fender. A HAI won't help your performance at all, I've had both HAI and CAI. And the CAI you posted as your 2nd link will require a big chunk of metal of your WHEEL WELL to be cut out, so that is probably the last thing you want.

Just saw you have an SE, you can still use the Accord Kit, the only thing you'll have to trim on the actual kit is the S-Pipe, you'll just trim one of the ends off to make a 90 degree pipe that will lead down into the fender.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 PM

how good is the sound of an intake on the 3rd gens..
Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM

How much do '93 Accord intakes go for??
Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Battery relocation? That's some CAI. You can absolutely install a CAI without relocating the battery. At worst, you may have to move the rectangular fuse box mounted on the wall. I think I just had to redrill one hole and put a nut on the other side to remount it. You will have to cut some sheet metal to get into the fender area.

If that is too much for you, you could run additional custom piping down below the battery, between the tranny and the charcoal canister, then drill a hole through the plastic splash guard into the fender....Cone filter would most likely have to be turned up though (not good, will be less resistant to possible misture being sucked in.). If you go down through the top, the filter would be aimed down. Water could reach near the top of the filter, but as long as there is some filter left to air, it is least likely to pull in any water. But, anytime you get a wet filter, moisture sucked in is a possibility.

Is this an aversion to cutting, inexperience with modding, or laziness?
how much of a risk of water getting into the intake and doing actual damage is there? i took a look at my stock intake today and theres another small puddle just collecting in their