3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rough Idle/ Poping sound/ missing sound comming from muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Rough Idle/ Poping sound/ missing sound comming from muffler??

I have a 93 GXE Vg30e engine. It has 214,000 miles. I has been acting up lately. It has this poping sound/ missing sound coming from the muffler once its warmed up. I have tried to unplug the injectors to see if there was any change in each one to no avail. Now since i did that, It seems that the idle has gotten worse to where I can really feel the vibrations inside the car. The hesitation has also gotten worse from a stop, and seems as if the car has lost a little power. I recently changed the plugs, wires, rotor, and fuel filter along with the oil. I don't know if it could be a distributor problem or not. I thought maybe it was the egr valve so I disconnected the vacuum hose and there was no change. I also pushed up on the valve diagram and the engine did seem to die a little which caused the check engine light to come on and flash for a breif moment, then go off. A mechanic told me that it could be a burned valve, which i really hope that it isnt. I am stumped. The ECU did not throw a code or a check engine light. It only threw a code 55. So im lost. PLease help!!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I have a 93 GXE Vg30e engine. It has 214,000 miles. I has been acting up lately. It has this poping sound/ missing sound coming from the muffler once its warmed up. I have tried to unplug the injectors to see if there was any change in each one to no avail. Now since i did that, It seems that the idle has gotten worse to where I can really feel the vibrations inside the car. The hesitation has also gotten worse from a stop, and seems as if the car has lost a little power. I recently changed the plugs, wires, rotor, and fuel filter along with the oil. I don't know if it could be a distributor problem or not. I thought maybe it was the egr valve so I disconnected the vacuum hose and there was no change. I also pushed up on the valve diagram and the engine did seem to die a little which caused the check engine light to come on and flash for a breif moment, then go off. A mechanic told me that it could be a burned valve, which i really hope that it isnt. I am stumped. The ECU did not throw a code or a check engine light. It only threw a code 55. So im lost. PLease help!!
I have this same problem and they told me it was a bad fuel injector/misfire somewhere...but Im really not sure but go get some fuel injector cleaner from walmart I use STP and some octane booster and it kills all of that until u get back down a lil under half a tank...
Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
I have this same problem and they told me it was a bad fuel injector/misfire somewhere...but Im really not sure but go get some fuel injector cleaner from walmart I use STP and some octane booster and it kills all of that until u get back down a lil under half a tank...

OK I will definetely try some that to see what it does. I only use 89 and 93 octane gas. Maybe I should swich to a different brand of gas stations as I mostly go to the Spinx to get gas.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 AM

what rpm are u idleing at u might just need to clean a few intake parts the maf the TB the IACV those when they get old need to be cleaned out

can u post a vid?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
what rpm are u idleing at u might just need to clean a few intake parts the maf the TB the IACV those when they get old need to be cleaned out

can u post a vid?

I put some injector cleaner in there. I used gumout and filled the tank up. It seems to run a lot better. But I will take the IAC valve off today and clean it out and the egr valve, and clean out the throttle body. The problem is gone for now, so I can at least save up some money and get some new fuel injectors instead of the remans I was looking at. Thanks alot.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 PM

I put some injector cleaner in there. I used gumout and filled the tank up. It seems to run a lot better. But I will take the IAC valve off today and clean it out and the egr valve, and clean out the throttle body. The problem is gone for now, so I can at least save up some money and get some new fuel injectors instead of the remans I was looking at. Thanks alot.

Ur welcome I used Gumout a few times also that works too but you will need to use them on every fullup to keep it running that way thats what im doing until I can save up more money.