3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bose Radio- How to Tell if radio is the problem vs speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 10:39 AM

Bose Radio- How to Tell if radio is the problem vs speakers

I am trying to find out if the lack of output of my front bose 89 gxe speakers is due to the head unit or the speakers/amps themselves..

If I pop the door panel and have a multimeter in my hand, can I tell something ?

One speaker whines and I know that's an amp problem. pearlmaxima has a speaker for me that I must try. Not sure if the other one is bad or not as it just seems quiet.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2001, 01:44 PM

First off...

First of all, the front speakers where meant to be much more quite than the back speakers, and as far as I know, the only way to change that is adjust the balance on the head unit. You're right about the amp being shot, but as for the other one, I'd bet it's blown out or dead. It's pretty hard to find some speakers, and even bose, that'll last as long as you've had your max. I have the active speakers system, but when i recently got at my back speakers, I noticed the rubber ring around the speaker had completely dried out and fallen through to my trunk. Currently I'm having the same problem with my front (can barely hear them, even if you turn the balance all the way to them) and it's the exact same problem. I'm replacing those some time next week.

Chances are you speakers have just dried up and gone and died. If you want to check, just pull the door panel off and check and see if the speaker's still in good condition. Your head unit is most likely not the problem.