3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

GI: NWP VG Phenolic Spacer Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

GI: NWP VG Phenolic Spacer Group Buy

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the guys that made a pre-order on the original set of NWP phenolic spacers for the VG Maximas about 2 years ago when Aaron put it together. It seems that I never completed the payment and therefore don't have a set of spacers to show for it. Now, I can either get a refund of my partial payment or I can see if 4 other guys want a set of spacers for their VG Maximas and are willing to pre-pay and Aaron will do another run.

I will let Aaron chime in to give details of price, etc., but anyone who is interested please write your name here. Thanks.

1. Mrkanda
Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 PM

price?

shipping to canada?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM

bump..buy them...3rd gen i know, but buy them

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 03-06-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 PM

Need price. I may be interested
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Need price. I may be interested
$140 i thinks. i little to rich for my blood concitering the gains IMO, but again thats me.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM

Well, the man (Aaron from NWP) says that the price will be the same as on the NWP website, $155 shipped. Once all payments have been received, it should take about 3 weeks for the packages to ship.

After he gets a few things done he will start an official Group Buy Thread in the Group Deals Forum, so whoever is still interested at that price can just post here to drum up interest or just post there when it gets posted.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 AM

Thanks. I will be interested and keep a lookout.

Aaron, you can PM me if you want
Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

how much of a gain would our maximas see from this? or how much of an improvement?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Well, the man (Aaron from NWP) says that the price will be the same as on the NWP website, $155 shipped. Once all payments have been received, it should take about 3 weeks for the packages to ship.

After he gets a few things done he will start an official Group Buy Thread in the Group Deals Forum, so whoever is still interested at that price can just post here to drum up interest or just post there when it gets posted.
Is it me or does this kinda defeat having a group buy if its gonna be the same price as on the website?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:19 AM

Might consider this. Will be swapping engine soon but also thinking might as well enjoy the VG before I pull it out.

But we could get 5 buyers, a price drop wouldn't be bad either.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Is it me or does this kinda defeat having a group buy if its gonna be the same price as on the website?
it's 5 people to get it made again.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the guys that made a pre-order on the original set of NWP phenolic spacers for the VG Maximas about 2 years ago when Aaron put it together. It seems that I never completed the payment and therefore don't have a set of spacers to show for it. Now, I can either get a refund of my partial payment or I can see if 4 other guys want a set of spacers for their VG Maximas and are willing to pre-pay and Aaron will do another run.

I will let Aaron chime in to give details of price, etc., but anyone who is interested please write your name here. Thanks.
1. Mrkanda
2. nc90gxe
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
they do it to make turning on the the machine worth the price. since they dont have any in stock it makes it profitable for them to make for a group than it would for only one. i work with a machinist and normaly only have him make one time part$$$$. when he makes a run of say 6 parts, the cost of the 5 other parts is lower because the tooling time is gone and the machine (if its CNC) does all the work so less labor. and that way it matches the website cost.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i believe that he was unable to get the EGR situation taken care of so for you emission regulated state you'll need to go back to stock so it'll pass the sniffer test.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DanNY
i believe that he was unable to get the EGR situation taken care of so for you emission regulated state you'll need to go back to stock so it'll pass the sniffer test.
no, nothing happened to the EGR at all. i have them and my EGR is still hooked up with the stock pipe. there was concern about what a LIM spacer would do to the EGR... maybe that's what you're thinking of.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:03 PM

i thought the issue was with the VE kit. i would just cut the egr tube and splice it to make it fit.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
no, nothing happened to the EGR at all. i have them and my EGR is still hooked up with the stock pipe. there was concern about what a LIM spacer would do to the EGR... maybe that's what you're thinking of.
so the spacers are for which flange/part exactly?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 300zmax
i thought the issue was with the VE kit. i would just cut the egr tube and splice it to make it fit.
if that is the case then i stand corrected...apologies for the confusion.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so the spacers are for which flange/part exactly?
both sides of TB, and iacv. and coolant bypasses.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM

both sides of TB, and iacv. and coolant bypasses.

what is the point of the spacer on the IACV. it doesnt seem to me like it would have any affect. is it so pose to isolate the heat of the coolent on the IACV from the Manifold?

i dont see a gain from this, thats why im making up an aluminum spacer for the upper lower plenums, to increase runner length a little. its an experiment mostly.

Last edited by 300zmax; 03-10-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 300zmax
what is the point of the spacer on the IACV. it doesnt seem to me like it would have any affect. is it so pose to isolate the heat of the coolent on the IACV from the Manifold?

i dont see a gain from this, thats why im making up an aluminum spacer for the upper lower plenums, to increase runner length a little. its an experiment mostly.
the iacv has an "air cut valve" on it, basically a heat-sensitive spring that closes a valve to limit the amount of air the IACV can let through if it gets stuck open. Since the coolant is still running through it, the spacer is to isolate it from the intake manifold.

but with the spacers on we noticed a reduction in temps all over the intake manifold. i don't remember the exact before/afters off the top of my head. (i was the protype/testfit car btw.. i went to aaron's house and he put them on)
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

the iacv has an "air cut valve" on it, basically a heat-sensitive spring that closes a valve to limit the amount of air the IACV can let through if it gets stuck open. Since the coolant is still running through it, the spacer is to isolate it from the intake manifold.

but with the spacers on we noticed a reduction in temps all over the intake manifold. i don't remember the exact before/afters off the top of my head. (i was the protype/testfit car btw.. i went to aaron's house and he put them on)
I would really like to see the temp #'s on video with a non spacer vg/vs./spacer vg...It's hard for me to believe that these spacers reduce intake temps without a upper intake plenum spacer, since the heat generated on a engine comes from the block/heads..then transferred to the intake plenum..
Old 03-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
I would really like to see the temp #'s on video with a non spacer vg/vs./spacer vg...It's hard for me to believe that these spacers reduce intake temps without a upper intake plenum spacer, since the heat generated on a engine comes from the block/heads..then transferred to the intake plenum..
he used a laser thermometer, temps measured every 5 minutes for 1 hour before installation then again for an hour after installation. so, both times, the temps climbed the longer it ran then plateaued maybe 35-40 minutes in.. but with the spacers, it plateaued lower. avg diff was 25* i think?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

either make the spacer for a lower intake manifold or at least upper manifold...otherwise it's not doing jack. might as well just bypass the coolant lines from the intake/TB/IACV and you'll probably net similar gains.

no wonder the EGR adaptor wasn't needed...the manifold is not even being moved.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

he used a laser thermometer, temps measured every 5 minutes for 1 hour before installation then again for an hour after installation. so, both times, the temps climbed the longer it ran then plateaued maybe 35-40 minutes in.. but with the spacers, it plateaued lower. avg diff was 25* i think?
you think?

again, i'm having a hard time seeing how these spacers are reducing intake temps. The heat were trying to beat here is not coming from the areas where these spacers are mounted. I'm not putting my "okeedokee" on these until i see some real time #'s, not "i thinks"

Last edited by Greeny; 03-10-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

you think?

again, i'm having a hard time seeing how these spacers are reducing intake temps. The heat were trying to beat here is not coming from the the areas where these spacers are mounted. I'm not putting my "okeedokee on these until i see some real time #'s, not "i thinks"
it was at least an average difference of 20*. the biggest difference was the lower corner of the intake near the power valve actuator. but i KNOW the averate temp drop was at least 20, i just don't remember how much more than 20 it was.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

it was at least an average difference of 20*. the biggest difference was the lower corner of the intake near the power valve actuator. but i KNOW the averate temp drop was at least 20, i just don't remember how much more than 20 it was.
what's the difference in temp if you just bypassed the coolant lines from the manifold and not use the spacer?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what's the difference in temp if you just bypassed the coolant lines from the manifold and not use the spacer?
dunno... never tried it.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

dunno... never tried it.
give it a whirl and see what you come up with.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

give it a whirl and see what you come up with.
meh, not really gonna spend money (on a thermometer) and time trying to prove or disprove the function of a mod i've had for 2 years. no offense but you wouldn't do it either would you? not unless there were something in it for you? i don't gain anything by him selling spacers, nor do I lose anything.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

meh, not really gonna spend money (on a thermometer) and time trying to prove or disprove the function of a mod i've had for 2 years. no offense but you wouldn't do it either would you? not unless there were something in it for you? i don't gain anything by him selling spacers, nor do I lose anything.
true...but i'm questioning the gains from the VG kit.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

dunno... never tried it.
I'm guessing you done the coolant bypass at the time of the spacer install? on your old engine of course..
Old 03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm guessing you done the coolant bypass at the time of the spacer install? on your old engine of course..
yea, it's part of the install procedure; the fittings are included in the spacer kit for the bypass. i dunno that the old engine or new engine would change anything since i am using the same intake stuff as before, if i did try and make any comparisons
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

yea, it's part of the install procedure; the fittings are included in the spacer kit for the bypass. i dunno that the old engine or new engine would change anything since i am using the same intake stuff as before, if i did try and make any comparisons
Like dan, i would like to see temps differences with the coolant not bypassed/with/without the spacers.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Well, my suggestion is someone who wants to see the temperatures w/ and w/o the coolant lines bypassed w/ and w/o spacers should contact Aaron directly and see if he is willing to run such a test. Since his product or sales thereof is what will be directly affected by said test he would be the one most likely to do it, especially considering he already has the thermometer. For me, I don't particularly care about such a test.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Like dan, i would like to see temps differences with the coolant not bypassed/with/without the spacers.
i second that, i am having a hard time seeing gains in this mod with out the lower plenum spacer as well.

i wonder, its not realistic but would it be possible to run the line threw a simple heat exchanger or small cooler similar to the power steering line to drop the temps if not cool the manifold further?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well, my suggestion is someone who wants to see the temperatures w/ and w/o the coolant lines bypassed w/ and w/o spacers should contact Aaron directly and see if he is willing to run such a test. Since his product or sales thereof is what will be directly affected by said test he would be the one most likely to do it, especially considering he already has the thermometer. For me, I don't particularly care about such a test.
problem is he doesn't have a VG. All the temp measurements he has are from my car when i went out there (he's only 70 millers from me), so the VG he has the most access to is mine. but i can't go traveling everywhere unless there's money in it for me (like when i visited Greeny).
Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i suspect this GD not going too far.....
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

It would be nice if aaron would visit the 3rd gen forum, and see this thread...I would like some sort of response to our questions..
Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM

problem is he doesn't have a VG. All the temp measurements he has are from my car when i went out there (he's only 70 millers from me), so the VG he has the most access to is mine. but i can't go traveling everywhere unless there's money in it for me (like when i visited Greeny).

He could probably just carry his thermometer around with him when he goes out to the grocery store, etc. and probably bump into plenty of VG owners out there. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: GI: NWP VG Phenolic Spacer Group Buy