3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

GI: NWP VG Phenolic Spacer Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Originally Posted by Greeny
It would be nice if aaron would visit the 3rd gen forum, and see this thread...I would like some sort of response to our questions..
I sent him an invite via PM. We'll see if he shows
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by mrkanda
He could probably just carry his thermometer around with him when he goes out to the grocery store, etc. and probably bump into plenty of VG owners out there. Just a thought...
they aren't going to sit there and wait for their car to cool down, then crank it up again and let it idle for an hour... it's a good idea, its just the odds of finding somebody that trusting and that bored... are slim.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM

i agree with greeny, te heat comes up from the block to head the IM, I have a set of upper IM gaskets made from some non-conductive plastic/polymer/ whatever it is stuff. I haven't installed them yet. lost them in my garage... but i think UIM spacers w/ these spacers would yield the best results. I think the majority of the HP gains from this mod come from the coolant bypass. I know in other cars people just bypass the TB coolant to get HPgains. w/out any kind of additional spacerkit.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:29 AM

you think?

again, i'm having a hard time seeing how these spacers are reducing intake temps. The heat were trying to beat here is not coming from the areas where these spacers are mounted. I'm not putting my "okeedokee" on these until i see some real time #'s, not "i thinks"
Like dan, i would like to see temps differences with the coolant not bypassed/with/without the spacers.
im confused by these two statements if its possible that the tb bypass is responsible for some if not all the hp gains then wouldn't that be releiving heat from the same area that the spacers are....i do agree more power would probably be seen from lim and uim spacers but if tb bypass releives heat from the same area the tb spacer does and the people who sell the tb bypass by itslef claim +4hp and aaron says +8hp what exactly makes u say "The heat were trying to beat here is not coming from the areas where these spacers are mounted."
Old 03-13-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
im confused by these two statements if its possible that the tb bypass is responsible for some if not all the hp gains then wouldn't that be releiving heat from the same area that the spacers are....i do agree more power would probably be seen from lim and uim spacers but if tb bypass releives heat from the same area the tb spacer does and the people who sell the tb bypass by itslef claim +4hp and aaron says +8hp what exactly makes u say "The heat were trying to beat here is not coming from the areas where these spacers are mounted."
i think the main discussion is on the VG engine where a spacer for the upper to lower manifolds is not offered and with the heat radiation threw the the lower to the up with out anything blocking it is self defeating to the TB spacer and IACV spacers.

in other words, with out the lower to upper spacer, your heat reduction is almost non existent IMO
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 AM

i know, i know it's ebay butt............

http://cgi.ebay.ca/89-94-Nissan-Maxi...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Garf

well its not a bad price for something to try. not all ebay is crap hell i will try a $40 experiment
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 300zmax
well its not a bad price for something to try. not all ebay is crap hell i will try a $40 experiment
you realize the LIM has coolant going through it...... see the long oval-shaped holes next to the intake port holes? yea. you want to run coolant under pressure past a shoddy plastic gasket? sounds like fun. meanwhile the LIM is still heated by coolant. i'm not saiyan, i'm just sayin'.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
you realize the LIM has coolant going through it...... see the long oval-shaped holes next to the intake port holes? yea. you want to run coolant under pressure past a shoddy plastic gasket? sounds like fun. meanwhile the LIM is still heated by coolant. i'm not saiyan, i'm just sayin'.
agreed but you get one advantage. so small that it doesnt realy count, but you will get longer runner length.

the spacer that will do the most good goes in between the UIM and LIM. no coolent lines there.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 300zmax
agreed but you get one advantage. so small that it doesnt realy count, but you will get longer runner length.

the spacer that will do the most good goes in between the UIM and LIM. no coolent lines there.
yea. but aaron's spacers add 1/2" of runner length and are proven to fit without leaks or warpage. that ebay crap is, well, typical ebay crap. the vq guys are so lucky... their coolant comes out pipes in the rear of the heads and dumps into the radiator there.. ours has to go through the intake.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
You're constantly confused there dope head...Do us all a big favor and stop posting here..
Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yea. but aaron's spacers add 1/2" of runner length and are proven to fit without leaks or warpage. that ebay crap is, well, typical ebay crap. the vq guys are so lucky... their coolant comes out pipes in the rear of the heads and dumps into the radiator there.. ours has to go through the intake.
this is all true, im not defending the ebay crud just saying $40 is not a bad deal for something to play with. the phenolic spacer i put on my Rustang some years ago which includes a TB spacer only ran me $60 and it made a noticeable difference.

also just to clear things up on my end we are discussing spacers for the VG. i am under the impression (based on his site) that the VG kit does not include a spacer for between the upper and lower manifold (where the most benefit is to had) like the VE does. and his kit only adds 1/4" of runner length. i am currently cutting up a set of plenum spacers (lower to upper) that will be 1/2" in aluminum that are ribbed to reduce heat as well as add volume, but i dont see that being put to use soon, im have titling issues with my current max .
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM

yea i actually bought a set of those 40$ ebay no name brand gaskets but lost them in my friggin garage... two gaskets+two car garage with three workbbenches=epic fail.

but they are a stiff white plastic, not brittle, and are fairly well cut, no excess and junk. I have not installed them since they are lost, but i plan on finding them this spring when i can move some things outside (currently 2 feet of snow here) i was thinking some liquid gasket sealer gunk on either side of the gasket to help seal it all up?

Either way, the NWP spacers are proven to work. once i get some $$ i'm ordering some for my VG (i know i know same old $ story)

basically what we need is someone w/ the NWP spacers on a VG who is willing to monkey around with these different variations of the spacers who can test them and produce some factual information. And hard numbers.

and who knows maybe sometime in the future if the guy(s) at NWP will try making a LIM/UIM spacer if there is enough interest.

Last edited by Garf; 03-15-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the guys that made a pre-order on the original set of NWP phenolic spacers for the VG Maximas about 2 years ago when Aaron put it together. It seems that I never completed the payment and therefore don't have a set of spacers to show for it. Now, I can either get a refund of my partial payment or I can see if 4 other guys want a set of spacers for their VG Maximas and are willing to pre-pay and Aaron will do another run.

I will let Aaron chime in to give details of price, etc., but anyone who is interested please write your name here. Thanks.

1. Mrkanda
2.Garf
bumppppp aaron should do another run of vg spacers!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 AM

Hey Garf,

Did you ever find those ebay spacers you had misplaced in your garage? I emailed them through eBay and they claimed that the spacers would hold up fine to coolant exposure. It would be nice to find out if their claims are true.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Hey Garf,

Did you ever find those ebay spacers you had misplaced in your garage? I emailed them through eBay and they claimed that the spacers would hold up fine to coolant exposure. It would be nice to find out if their claims are true.
no, i think that they may have ended up in the recycling b/c of how they were packaged when shipped ( wrrapped in what looked like cereal box cardboard) dammit. but i'm willing to order another set, my max is getting parked in 4 days, and that's when all my parts sitting around are being installed. i'll post when i have results, but i don't know how accurate they will be since i'm going to be replacing the exhaust aswell (wsp y-pipe+cat back)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Garf/Mrkanda: Did either one of you guys read this thread? Mrkanda, why didn't aaron post in this thread after you pm'd him to come in here? does he just not give a rats *** about making products for the 3rd gen maxima anymore? has he come to the same conclusion as me and danny that these vg spacers are pointless and don't do sheit for the vg engine as far as adding any hp?

But hey, if you guys want to spend your hard earned $$ on IMO, a useless mod, by all means go for it..
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Dude! Thanks for the negativity! I really needed that

Aaron didn't respond to this thread because he said he was too busy at the time to get involved in a lengthy discussion. If and/or when we were ready to go ahead with the Group Buy then he would set up a new thread under the Group Buys section and post any replies there. He said questions were welcome if sent personally by individuals to him via PM or email.

As for the "usefullness" of the mod, I don't doubt you are all smarter than me in some respects, most likely with respect to these cars. I only brought up wanting to restart the VG spacer kit because Aaron already has $68 of mine, so I thought I might try to get something out of that. Also, I would think that those who already purchased and installed the VG phenolic spacer kit did so for good reason and have gotten something out of it. Otherwise you might as well call Aaron a lair and a cheat. I don't think that's the case. OP's opinions will always fly but not always land, so let it fly

Last edited by mrkanda; 04-16-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Be my quest then mang.. i have no problems with you continuing with the GD if you are insistent on ice skating up hill.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM

Be my quest then mang.. i have no problems with you continuing with the GD if you are insistent on ice skating up hill.

ps... there's no numbers to back your opinion about how much vg's will gain. I have to say when it comes to 3rd gens you know more than a lot about these cars. I'm not saying that your reasoning is off, it's totally valid and i'm sure a LIM spacer would be a better solution to the heat soak rather than just both sides of the TB and IACV, and yes Greeny, i did read this thread.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ps... there's no numbers to back your opinion about how much vg's will gain. I have to say when it comes to 3rd gens you know more than a lot about these cars. I'm not saying that your reasoning is off, it's totally valid and i'm sure a LIM spacer would be a better solution to the heat soak rather than just both sides of the TB and IACV, and yes Greeny, i did read this thread.
I know there are no #'s to back my statement, i have common knowledge of how an engine works to back it up..

I'll say it again...No heat is generated by the engine at the TB or the IAC connections, thus the spacers will not prevent any heat transfer to the intake manifold= they don't do crap to lower intake temps, you might as well put the spacers on the muffler. The only heat transfer being prevented is from the coolant bypass of the TB/IAC, this is how he was able to drop the intake temps -20 degrees from stock.. Which can be done by anyone for free, yep that's right $0..capedcadaver has pics and instructions on how to bypass the coolant to the TB/IAC if you want them..
Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I know there are no #'s to back my statement, i have common knowledge of how an engine works to back it up..

I'll say it again...No heat is generated by the engine at the TB or the IAC connections, thus the spacers will not prevent any heat transfer to the intake manifold= they don't do crap to lower intake temps, you might as well put the spacers on the muffler. The only heat transfer being prevented is from the coolant bypass of the TB/IAC, this is how he was able to drop the intake temps -20 degrees from stock.. Which can be done by anyone for free, yep that's right $0..capedcadaver has pics and instructions on how to bypass the coolant to the TB/IAC if you want them..
NO!!! you have to spend a solid 5 bucks for hoses. you can go for the 3 dolla hose...but then you have sub par hoses and no one wants sub par hoe's.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by DanNY
NO!!! you have to spend a solid 5 bucks for hoses. you can go for the 3 dolla hose...but then you have sub par hoses and no one wants sub par hoe's.
I used some spare hoe's i had lying around..

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 AM

OK, you smilie junkies! Somebody link me to that bypass thread, or else !

Last edited by mrkanda; 04-16-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

OK, you smilie junkies! :Big Grin: Somebody link me to that bypass thread, or else :Bang:!

- and tell me why my smilies aren't working!!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I used some spare hoe's i had lying around..

whaaa?!?! you don't want the old hoes you want the new and fresh ones.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Ah! OK. Thanks
Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM

yea for sure i'd be interested in that TB bypass for the coolant, is there a thread on it already made? and i ordered some of those px3 LIM spacers and i'll try them out, why not for 40$?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Why should he step into this thread and "defend" his product? There's no incentive for him to do that as it's not something he's actively pushing.

It's not like Aaron is conning you guys into buying the spacers or claiming false gains for profit. So, going to Aaron and asking to get this made only to then critique or question his product IMO gives him even less incentive to make these anyway.

It's like when guys PM me about speaker mounts and I tell them sure, yeah, I can make you a pair blah blah blah, only to have them then question the "design" or tell me that they can easily do it themselves, or blah blah blah.