3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Moving on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Moving on...

Well it's been a lot of fun guys but I just felt the need for something with less miles that hasn't been totalled twice. I bought a new car today which has only 68k miles so hopefully it will serve me well for years to come. Came with extensive paperwork for the maintenance performed. I will be selling the Maxima because unfortunately, I just can't keep two cars. I hate these threads just as much as the next person, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It's dark outside now so I will take and post some pics of the Maxima's replacement tomorrow...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

good luck with the new ride mang..
Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

post pics of the old beast for ole-times-sake??
Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

you gonna at least let us know what the new whip is, or leave us waiting, wondering, and wanting?

ibitsnotabmworinfiniti
:smallhide:
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Dude...after all that damn work with the wiring and those oh so top secret pics you sent me that one night when we both couldn't sleep and we bonded on aim you're telling me you're letting go of the max? How can you guys that have gotten rid of your maximas do this?? I mean I saw a picture of you in 1991 as a lil **** in front of your pearl 91 se... I dont get it

/rant

wow lol so how much you taking for it?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny

good luck with the new ride mang..
Thanks!

post pics of the old beast for ole-times-sake??
Not the greatest pic, don't have many of those since the accidents. Funny thing is, I finally removed the pinstripes from the replacement doors this past weekend, aside from krylon bumper, the car looks as good as it has since prior to the 2 (non-fault) accidents.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-16-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you gonna at least let us know what the new whip is, or leave us waiting, wondering, and wanting?

ibitsnotabmworinfiniti
:smallhide:
Ok, ok, here's a couple interior shots of the new car

Just under 69k miles. NO VTC clack what so ever, it may even be quieter than meh VG. I looked through all the maintenance receipts, most of it is routine stuff although one caught my eye. ALL 6 injectors were replaced at the dealership about 3 years ago because supposedly one injector was stuck open. Sounds like they talked the previous owner into work that didn't really need to be done. Anyway, I won't complain. Unfortunately, it's an auto, but I do have a VE-5 trans in the geerage, as well as a 5 speed plenum, bought a brand new clutch kit today for $30 from a craigslist ad, so that's a good start, eventually i'll find a 5 speed 3rd gen to get the remainder of the swap parts.

Exterior pics tomorrow...

Last edited by Hectic; 03-17-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Bastard. make us thinking you're leaving us.

nice Mileage and interior. just like mine. now. comes the mods :P
Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Dude...after all that damn work with the wiring and those oh so top secret pics you sent me that one night when we both couldn't sleep and we bonded on aim you're telling me you're letting go of the max? How can you guys that have gotten rid of your maximas do this?? I mean I saw a picture of you in 1991 as a lil **** in front of your pearl 91 se... I dont get it

/rant

wow lol so how much you taking for it?
Haha those are valid suspicions I'm going to need to tweak things a little bit now as far as those projects go, but everything should still work out as planned. It is going to be hard to see the pearl one go:sad: But I am going to swap the dash over because i've done some serious cutting and shaving to make certain things fit that I don't want to have to do over again.. So, i'll always have a part of that car. I wish I could replicate the smell of the pearl's cabin because this new one smells like most of the other 3rd gens out there, pearl has a good distinct smell that i'm going to miss. I'm also keeping the sawblades from the 91, and i'm thinking about keeping the steering wheel as well, it's in good shape and i think the airbag wheels are fugly.

I remember reading something awhile back about the 3rd gen airbags being dangerous, can anyone confirm this so I can swap wheels without feeling like I'm sacrificing my safety?

Last edited by Hectic; 03-16-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hectic you dog! well i gotta give you a 3000-mile high-five for the creativity of this thread tho. gonna do the VI swap with the 5spd swap? nice grab tho.. vtc + no clack = win. cept i've never driven a VE... but i can still imagine.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 AM

Hifive verynice! I didn't know I had the option of choosing plenums or not.. I assume that's what you mean by "VI swap".. I thought it was mandatory to use a 5 speed plenum, either way I already have one so I will use that when the time comes.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-17-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Hectic
Hifive verynice! I didn't know I had the option of choosing plenums or not.. I assume that's what you mean by "VI swap".. I thought it was mandatory to use a 5 speed plenum, either way I already have one so I will use that when the time comes.
well the car can operate as a 5spd without the VI swap, but it's definitely gonna be better if you have one.

so what made you decide to get a VE, o basher of the VE? Or at least I thought you disliked VEs...
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Nice!!

I miss teh ve powah..
Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

damn it, so you're not leaving?!?!

LOL jk
Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
mod or sell?

H
I remember reading something awhile back about the 3rd gen airbags being dangerous, can anyone confirm this so I can swap wheels without feeling like I'm sacrificing my safety?
they aren't dangerous, and you can swap it out easily enough with some wiring and splicing to keep cruise and horny.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM

hahahaha you ****er, had me going lol!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 PM

does this mean the secret project you casually mentioned is done for?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
so what made you decide to get a VE, o basher of the VE? Or at least I thought you disliked VEs...
Those VE rants of mine were because the 2 previous VE's i've owned were peices of crap that clacked, needed knock sensors, and even one had zero compression on one cylinder. Course the numbnut who sold it to me for $300 was driving it without oil or even an oil filter

Originally Posted by DanNY
damn it, so you're not leaving?!?!

LOL jk

Originally Posted by internetautomar
they aren't dangerous, and you can swap it out easily enough with some wiring and splicing to keep cruise and horny.
I had you in mind when I asked the question. I remember you saying you either don't like the 3rd gen airbags, and thought you said something about them being dangerous as well. Anyway, non-airbag wheel FTW.

Originally Posted by Gunther

does this mean the secret project you casually mentioned is done for?
Nope, but it's going to set it back more that I already have. The projects are pretty much done, it's just a matter of doing the finish work. I should just come clean, but I want to wait until it's finished to unveil..
Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM

Steady stede

Looks like she served you well....

Good luck with the new ride!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Some pics as promised. You can't really tell because of the rain, but there are plenty of hail dings, mostly on the hood and trunk lid and a little bit on the RH doors. Car was in the midwest for awhile. Anyway, there's ways to reverse hail damage with ice cubes and a hair dryer IIRC, it's not the end of the world, it has a clean title, 69k, no clack, all 6 injectors under 3 years old, came with a nice Alpine deck with motorized face, and Infinity 5.25" in the front and 6x9" in the back..

Last edited by Hectic; 03-18-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Beautiful ride hectic.. I love the pristine interior...

did i mention i miss ve powah?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks man, it's the first one I've had with leather, where the seams in the rear headrests haven't already split Factory tint is kickass.

So are you regretting picking up the BMW, or just kind of miss old green? BMW is faster no? I'm already missing my VG even though I still have it It's going to be tough to let go of for some reason
Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Looks REAL good, now some 22s and 2 15s and you're set, maybe some chrome molding.. I miss my vg wish it wasnt so rusted
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Looks REAL good, now some 22s and 2 15s and you're set, maybe some chrome molding.. I miss my vg wish it wasnt so rusted
22's in front, 15's in the back=
chrome on an SE =

so, no...

btw, maxus is coming up, you may wanna see about finding a more southern car to take home with you...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
22's in front, 15's in the back=
chrome on an SE =

so, no...

btw, maxus is coming up, you may wanna see about finding a more southern car to take home with you...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_3393.jpg

chrome trim on 89-91SE tails/center with a 4th gen "MAXIMA" emblem ain't too bad... if the trim weren't falling off haha.

but on all other points, i'd have to agree. but i think hectic's fashion sense is pretty good... he's even making handbags out of his katzkin seatcovers
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 AM

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_3393.jpg

chrome trim on 89-91SE tails/center with a 4th gen "MAXIMA" emblem ain't too bad... if the trim weren't falling off haha.

but on all other points, i'd have to agree. but i think hectic's fashion sense is pretty good... he's even making handbags out of his katzkin seatcovers
I should actually do that, make two out of the front head rests and send one to each of the previous owners of the defunct catskinz

I'm pretty sure Columbine is joking about the 22's and chrome trim, at least I hope so
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks man, it's the first one I've had with leather, where the seams in the rear headrests haven't already split Factory tint is kickass.

So are you regretting picking up the BMW, or just kind of miss old green? BMW is faster no? I'm already missing my VG even though I still have it It's going to be tough to let go of for some reason
I ended up not buying the beemo, check sig for latest purchase..
Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 AM

Oh that makes sense, I guess I stopped watching your green mile thread too soon..

On a sad note, I think it's more realistic to.....sell this and keep the VG once again. If it were already a 5 speed, I don't think i'd be saying that, but the fact is, it makes no sense to swap my recently installed alarm, digital dash, auto climate control and drivetrains, and many other things, in the name of a black on like new black interior VE with 69k miles. Even though my pearl one has been totalled twice, i've slowly but surely rebuilt the body with pearl parts which don't have hail dings all over them. There's many other reasons, but the main thing is, it's impractical and in the end, i'll have basically the same thing I have now (-30hp), only i'll have a hell of a lot more work invested into it without the excuse of a bent core support to fit some a31's, no excuse to install new carpet, headliner, new leather, control arms, struts and springs and finally throw my 18's on. All after I finish this so called "top secret" project which would itself need modification to work with the VE. Yep, gotta sell it Damn you VE, damn you to hell, stop tempting me, I got the good **** at home
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM

just keep both of them
Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by PMAX08
just keep both of them
+1. What's done is done! Give this new puppy a chance; the auto's are nearly bulletproof (though I can see why you'd want to do the 5-spd swap as I've been *ahem* trying to do it for the past year, but something always comes up- I have a slew of performance tranny related parts under my bed)

But the VE is squeaky clean man, and honestly, the VIM/5-spd swap isn't hard if you have a parts car that wasn't slammed into another vehicle at 50mph (makes getting to stuff a little tricky ) And when it's all said and done you have a pristine 70k mile VE-5 that needs a few hundred dollars worth of PDR.

I don't know, would be cool to have the best of both worlds, but good luck with whatever you do. Keep us updated.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I can has?

ibdibsonthefogsifyoudecidetosell
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
mod or sell?

did i mention i miss ve powah?
you aren't the only one.
All I've been finding for sale are VGs and VE5s.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you aren't the only one.
All I've been finding for sale are VGs and VE5s.
wake up your left leg and get with it!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
+1. What's done is done! Give this new puppy a chance; the auto's are nearly bulletproof (though I can see why you'd want to do the 5-spd swap as I've been *ahem* trying to do it for the past year, but something always comes up- I have a slew of performance tranny related parts under my bed)

But the VE is squeaky clean man, and honestly, the VIM/5-spd swap isn't hard if you have a parts car that wasn't slammed into another vehicle at 50mph (makes getting to stuff a little tricky ) And when it's all said and done you have a pristine 70k mile VE-5 that needs a few hundred dollars worth of PDR.

I don't know, would be cool to have the best of both worlds, but good luck with whatever you do. Keep us updated.
Unfortunately, keeping both isn't an option. It's not the 5 speed swap itself that is the reason, it's the that on top of the hail damage and the other things I mentioned. The VG is actually cleaner than the VE on the outside and looks and drives like it's the one with the lower miles and I know what to expect from it after 5 years. I thought about spending a week tearing down both cars, installing the VE auto on the VG and use the VG as the 5 speed donor, that's where I decided it's counterproductive when I could just sell the dinged up VE auto and turn a profit which I probably couldn't do with the VG due to the reconstructed title. I could then use that profit to drop the VG, buy tires for my 18's and still have about $500 left over plus the Alpine and Infinity speakers from the VE

Here's what we're looking at...

Notice the dings, these things all over the place. I'll be finding new ones and have to pop them out for years to come..

Ahh beautiful, the rest of the body looks exactly like this (cept for front bumper cover).

I've been through two totals, pearl parts from about 5 different Maximas 3 hoods, trips to seattle and back to get this pearlness back on track. Can't give up on her now..
Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hmmm... so sell the black one to brian then! since he can't find a VE auto anywhere, and this ones's in good enough shape that he MIGHT keep it for more than a few months.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

hmmm... so sell the black one to brian then! since he can't find a VE auto anywhere, and this ones's in good enough shape that he MIGHT keep it for more than a few months.
selling to brian= no profit whatsoever..

He'd be in the whole..
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

selling to brian= no profit whatsoever..

He'd be in the hole..
i'm sure they could work something out even if he doesn't make a profit, just sold it for what he has in it, it would be worth it to see brian in a VE again, yes? sometimes people do things for the benefit of others... i even fixed your spelling for free
Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM

Cliff Clavin should trade me straight across
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i'm sure they could work something out even if he doesn't make a profit, just sold it for what he has in it, it would be worth it to see brian in a VE again, yes? sometimes people do things for the benefit of others... i even fixed your spelling for free
Point is, brian is not going to pay nowhere close to what hectic has in it, brian is a $500 car man, he's not going to pay what the car is worth..

You're not my ****ing english teacher, so knock off the spelling fixes..
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Cliff Clavin should trade me straight across
He'd want 5 grand to boot..

Last edited by Greeny; 03-18-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Moving on...