3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Tank Vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 PM

Fuel Tank Vent hose

Like many others my vent hose is leaking, question;

How in the heck do you get the clamp off the tank side? do you have to take the crossmember off? or just cut the filler tube side and pull like crazy?

I jacked it up today and took rear wheel off but the clamp is rotated and I cant get on it to squeese it.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 AM
STFU n00b!

Grab a pair of channel locks with large grooved teeth on it. You can use them to grab one 'ear' on the clamp and twist it around until you can grab both and remove the hose.

But yeah.. easiest way to get the hose off is to cut it in the middle and take it out in pieces. It's already broken anyway!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 AM

I cut mine out, was the easiest way to remove it.
Like Matt said, it's no good anyways. Mine had two half inch holes, and other smaller ones where the pipe was welded together.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM

did you guys get a OEM one or just cut some 5/8 fuel line to fit?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 AM

I bought a filler neck at the JY.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 PM
STFU n00b!

5/8" fuel hose from parts store here.
it's a straight shot.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
5/8" fuel hose from parts store here.
it's a straight shot.
Thanks, I got 2ft 5/8 id at Napa, when the weather gets nicer I am going to replace it.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM

Both of mine are leaking. Do you know the size of the main filler tube ( I.D.) I guess our cars are just getting old and need more TLC.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by fattamax
Both of mine are leaking. Do you know the size of the main filler tube ( I.D.) I guess our cars are just getting old and need more TLC.
if your main filler tube is leaking then it would be best to get a good condition one from the junkyard instead of patching yours.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM

When I took a better look my entire filler tube is rusted to beat heck so I didn't touch it yet. I put some Indian Head Shellac on the leaking hose, shot some undercoating on the pipe and backed out slowly. I know I am going to have to deal with this sooner or later but not leaks for now.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just replaced my vent hose, filler hose and metal filler tube this past weekend. Thanks for the advice on using 5/8 inch fuel hose as a replacement for the vent hose. Cost me $1.50, compared to the $30-plus my dealer wanted for an OEM vent hose. Unfortunately, the filler hose was a dealer-only item and ran me close to $60. Got a good used filler tube on eBay.

If only the tank side hose clamp for the filler hose had been properly positioned, this would have been an easy job. As it was, the screw on that hose clamp was completely inaccessible, and I had to drain and drop the gas tank to get to it.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lanciat
Just replaced my vent hose, filler hose and metal filler tube this past weekend. Thanks for the advice on using 5/8 inch fuel hose as a replacement for the vent hose. Cost me $1.50, compared to the $30-plus my dealer wanted for an OEM vent hose. Unfortunately, the filler hose was a dealer-only item and ran me close to $60. Got a good used filler tube on eBay.

If only the tank side hose clamp for the filler hose had been properly positioned, this would have been an easy job. As it was, the screw on that hose clamp was completely inaccessible, and I had to drain and drop the gas tank to get to it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the metal filler pipe on ebay and did they have more than one?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 AM

Bringing back the past, I need to replace my vent hose too now. Do you have to drain the tank to do this? I've got about 10 gallons in there.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

nope..as long as the tank isn't topped off.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Grab a pair of channel locks with large grooved teeth on it. You can use them to grab one 'ear' on the clamp and twist it around until you can grab both and remove the hose.

But yeah.. easiest way to get the hose off is to cut it in the middle and take it out in pieces. It's already broken anyway!
This is the best way.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I thought there was a Nissan rust (safety) recall for the solid filler tube portion?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I thought there was a Nissan rust (safety) recall for the solid filler tube portion?
there was. most of them were done, and then Nissan's new/improved fix did the same thing. I'm gonna post a different thread on my nightmare with this issue.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

nucklehead - the recall doesn't apply in Canada right?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM

when I went to the dealer, they said there was no recall. when i wrote to Nissan, they said mine had had the recall done, back in '96 (mine is a '94).
Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM

for some reason this site won't let me post a new topic. maybe someone can cut&paste this into a new topic. sorry for the hijack. here it is:

Boy, where do i begin...this is ugly. Started with strong fuel odors in my '94 Maxima with 110,000 miles. I see others with Nissan Axxess and Nissan Murano have posted similar problems.

My Maxima has/had a plastic shroud around the filler neck, presumably to protect it from road debris, rocks, etc..., blasting the filler neck. Unfortunately, the shroud traps fine dirt and moisture. This includes your winter road salt. When I removed the shroud, massive amounts of fine sand & dirt fell to the ground. When I cleaned out what was stuck up inside the rear quarter panel area, I swept up 3 full dustpans. It was close to 10lbs of crap.
The filler neck was badly rusted. The rear quarter panel was rusted badly. When I started to dismantle, I went to remove seatbelt bolt. I was shocked to find the entire area was behind filler neck and completely rusted out. The sheet metal twisted apart easily and would not have protected the left rear passenger in a 5 MPH collision. It would have just tore away.
Years ago my '86 Honda Prelude had a rusty filler neck. I removed it and went to buy the part, and was told there was a recall on it. It was considered a safety issue. When I asked Nissan a few months ago, there was no recall for this serious safety issue (on 2 issues: strong fuel odors and no seatbelt protection). I find that unacceptable, especially now that I can see the flawed design. Here are the pics of the damage:This one shows the big hole, and yes, that's daylight on the other side.

this one is more of the same holes

another pice from the inside of wheel well

last of the inside rust

okay, this is the remaining piece of sheet metal that seatbelt bolt attached to. i placed it on the seatbelt ratchet mechanism

and this is the piece of sheet metal/nut that held seatbelt, held at arm's length.

So to fix all this, we cut and welded a patch of sheet metal, then fiberglassed it a few times, on both the inside and outside. There were 2 big, different rust area. One was inside trunk, the other inside wheel-well/quarter panel, and that one was really hard to patch. The inside wheel well got fiberglassed plus some JB weld. THEN, I primed the neck and painted it with 3 coats of rubberized asphalt (undercoating). I let it dry really good. I did this over 3 days to let everything dry between coats. We also sprayed the heck out of the inside wheel well area to make extra sure. I wanted to seal out fumes, and protect against future up-chuck from the road. AND I never replaced the shroud because the filler neck is coated with 3 coats of undercoating. Better yet, they should use a rhino-lining type product on it. I'll keep an eye on it and see how well it holds up. It will also get a regular rinse with every car wash.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

http://forums.maxima.org/feedback-su...rt-thread.html
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM

Hey guys all the local parts store dont carry anything larger then a 3/8 inch fuel hose. Will 5/8 radiator hose work?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Hey guys all the local parts store dont carry anything larger then a 3/8 inch fuel hose. Will 5/8 radiator hose work?
nope. the only place I have ever seen with right hose for filler necks is NAPA. Coolant hose is not up to the duty of fuel hose. Bad things can happen (don't ask how I know)
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 PM

I just replaced my vent hose. It was a bi$$$ to get off and put on!! I cut it in half and had to basically fight with the part that was stuck onto the gas tank side. Then when I finially got it off. The replacement hose was too small in diameter. SO i hooked up a peice of heater hose to the end of it for the time being just to have something on there. Couldnt get it to slide all the way on there, so now there is a bend in the line, in which everytime I go to get gas, I can barley get any to go into the gas tank because there is a bunch of fuel at the top of the filler neck that wont go down. I will head to napa in the morning to get the correct size hose.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM

I got the tank topped-off-fuel-tank-leak problem too. Took the wheel off. Vent hose has some cracks but fill hose is looking ok from what I can see. Didn't take the plastic guard over the filler tube and vent tube in the wheel well off cause I couldn't figure out how to get access to take the plastic clips out. But the car has no rust problem otherwise so I'm thinking the filler neck and vent pipe are probably ok. I'm gonna replace the vent hose first as it seems to be the most likely suspect.

Trying to source a foot of 5/8" fuel hose is proving tricky.

Last edited by Funk-O-Meter; 09-29-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter
I got the tank topped-off-fuel-tank-leak problem too. Took the wheel off. Vent hose has some cracks but fill hose is looking ok from what I can see. Didn't take the plastic guard over the filler tube and vent tube in the wheel well off cause I couldn't figure out how to get access to take the plastic clips out. But the car has no rust problem otherwise so I'm thinking the filler neck and vent pipe are probably ok. I'm gonna replace the vent hose first as it seems to be the most likely suspect.

Trying to source a foot of 5/8" fuel hose is proving tricky.

Go to NAPA and get it. I went to autozone and got mine the first time and had to end up doing the job twice. Most of the regular parts stores dont sell fuel hose that large. One lady even tried to convince me that that much fuel cannot possibly flow through that big of a hose into your engine LOL. I got the hose home and it was too small! Went to napa and got the right size and length, and it slid right on! No more gas smell!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Yep, Napa is the only place I've found that sells it.

Although, last time I went there to do the job on my black VE, they kept trying to sell me heater hose claiming it was the same thing
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 PM

I called around to 4 Napa's today and everybody said they didn't have it. I don't believe them since only one guy even looked it up. 3 of the stores even closed earlier then their posted hours

BS customer service is BS and makes me very angry cause I was in retail for a decade.

Anyway.. think I'm just gonna order it, pay the $8 shipping for a $3 hose and get it done.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM

There is a persistant gas smell at the rear of my wife's 92 SE. Could this be the vent hose that is being talked about in this thread? How would I tell? I can't see any visible leaks under the tank or fuel line area.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Garfish
There is a persistant gas smell at the rear of my wife's 92 SE. Could this be the vent hose that is being talked about in this thread? How would I tell? I can't see any visible leaks under the tank or fuel line area.

Most likely, i actually had the same issue a couple of months ago. Luckily it was just the vent hose, my filler neck looks brand new and still is shining even.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Well I found the leak and it is in the vent hose that goes between the tank and the metal tube that runs up the filler pipe. There is about an eighth of an inch crack in the hose right near the rear clamp that is on the tube on the filler tube.

I oderded the part from the dealer - about $32. Seems like a lot but I figured that as hard as it is going to be to replace the darn thing, I might as well use the right hose.

I am 72 and laying on the ground under the car isn't as much fun as it used to be. Does anyone know how much the dealer would charge to put the new one on?

Last edited by Garfish; 10-27-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Get Off My Lawn

First, I wouldn't take it to the dealer....most costly. They will also likely charge for a full hour labor (iirc $90). But, any other garage is likely to charge 1/2 to 1 hour labor (depending on garage, hour rates are about $60). At least in my area.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 93 GXE with this same problem. i am gonna buy the 5/8 fuel hose from NAPA tomorrow, but i still cant figure out the filler neck hose, wat size is that hose??? and where exactly do i look for it????