3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How exactly does out security passcode system work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM

How exactly does out security passcode system work?

I'm a little confused about the passcode door lock system. I opened the door with the key and it seems that I cannot start the car. Like a computer is preventing the starter to engage.

All the electric components power on, but the starter does not crank.

I don't know if this is normal or a problem with my ignition is starting?

thx
Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 PM

i dont think thats normal. i always use my passcode and never open my doors with the key but one time i had to and it started. im thinking some wiring might be screwy for it to not let you start the car

the only time it hasnt allowed me to start was one time i failed and i left the window open before i went to arby's and i locked the door with the passcode. came back and just stuck my arm through the window and manually unlocked from the inside. alarm went off and i didnt know how to shut it up and it wouldnt start. quit itself after 10 minutes and let me start

a bigger fail was at the gas station, i didnt click the gas cap 3 times, only 2, and it wouldnt let me start. sat there trying to get out of peoples way and she wouldnt start. opened up the gas tank again and turned the gas cap once more and it went
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 PM

No comment

But seriously, it might just be a coincidence, have you checked your battery and terminals, as well as starter terminals, easiest possible solution there. I think all the keypad does is unlock the doors and disarm the alarm. I don't think there's any immobilizing features that would be causing your problem.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-25-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
No comment

But seriously, it might just be a coincidence, have you checked your battery and terminals, as well as starter terminals, easiest possible solution there. I think all the keypad does is unlock the doors and disarm the alarm. I don't think there's any immobilizing features that would be causing your problem.
I cleaned out my battery terminals today and sprayed on some protective sealant thing. Haven't checked the starter terminals.

We have an alarm? I didn't even know that. I'll try to open the car with windows down.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by gladiator
I cleaned out my battery terminals today and sprayed on some protective sealant thing. Haven't checked the starter terminals.

We have an alarm? I didn't even know that. I'll try to open the car with windows down.
yea. my girlfriend (now ex) didn't know my car had alarm until she set it off.... she knew my keycode, but didn't think to try using it to shut the car up. what i did is i parked at a mcdonalds or something and locked the doors with the keypad while she was in the passenger seat (doing something; not yet ready to go into the restaurant) and then she unlocked the door and opened it, and the alarm went off, and she kinda freaked out. so during our meal she was all (lol @ ;danny; cuz her name was 'Dani')

anyhow, perhaps your alarm is for some reason going off, but you can't hear it. like the wire that connects the alarm box to the horn isn't working, or some random crap like that. when you have the start issue, how long do you have to wait before it'll let you start? or does it never let you start no matter how long you wait?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-25-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yea. my girlfriend (now ex) didn't know my car had alarm until she set it off.... she knew my keycode, but didn't think to try using it to shut the car up. what i did is i parked at a mcdonalds or something and locked the doors with the keypad while she was in the passenger seat (doing something; not yet ready to go into the restaurant) and then she unlocked the door and opened it, and the alarm went off, and she kinda freaked out. so during our meal she was all (lol @ ;danny; cuz her name was 'Dani')

anyhow, perhaps your alarm is for some reason going off, but you can't hear it. like the wire that connects the alarm box to the horn isn't working, or some random crap like that. when you have the start issue, how long do you have to wait before it'll let you start? or does it never let you start no matter how long you wait?
I'm gonna try to set off the alarm on purpose tomorrow to see. If it doesn't sound, where is the horn located? I didn't notice it under the hood.

It took me a few tries so I exited the car and locked it with the keypad and waited for the security light to go off. I went in by keypad and tried a few times but still didn't work so I fiddled with the suspension setting. It was on Comfort so I put it to AUTO and the car started up.

I know all this could be a coincidence and I'm facing a more serious electrical issue.

I also want to add, that when this happens there seems to be a sharp decrease in voltage. I notice that the clock, all the panel lights are a lot dimmer when I crank but no power is going to the starter.

Last edited by gladiator; 03-25-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added more details
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm gonna try to set off the alarm on purpose tomorrow to see. If it doesn't sound, where is the horn located? I didn't notice it under the hood.

It took me a few tries so I exited the car and locked it with the keypad and waited for the security light to go off. I went in by keypad and tried a few times but still didn't work so I fiddled with the suspension setting. It was on Comfort so I put it to AUTO and the car started up.

I know all this could be a coincidence and I'm facing a more serious electrical issue.

I also want to add, that when this happens there seems to be a sharp decrease in voltage. I notice that the clock, all the panel lights are a lot dimmer when I crank but no power is going to the starter.
the horn is sortof below the hood latch behind the grille/bumper

PROTIP: to test the horn, simply blow the horn and see if it works

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-25-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 PM

If your security light blinks after you exit the car. the alarm will not activate.

methinks it's the terminals if you have no power. if you hear clicks it could be something else.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 PM

wow I'm dumb LOL for some reason I thought the car would have an extra alarm siren... but thats for aftermarket.

So yeah, the horn does work because I honked at ppl today
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mysticcal
If your security light blinks after you exit the car. the alarm will not activate.

methinks it's the terminals if you have no power. if you hear clicks it could be something else.
Yeah. the security light blinks for 5-8 seconds after I lock the car with keypad. I don't hear any clicks so it the battery should be okay.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 AM

wow I'm dumb LOL for some reason I thought the car would have an extra alarm siren... but thats for aftermarket.

So yeah, the horn does work because I honked at ppl today
some aftermarket alarms come with their own horn, usually ebay kits. many just tap into the stock horn...

try disconnecting the factory alarm (1 plug under the kick panel) and see if anything changes
Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 AM

The question though is about the car not starting, right? You're not trying to disengage the security system?

I assume your GXE is an auto and you haven't done a tranny swap, and this is an intermittent problem when I say the following:

The next time it happens, you unlock your car via the keypad/key, get into your car, insert key, and nothing happens (as far as the engine cranking), ENGAGE your BRAKE, take the SHIFTER and move it from PARK down to 1ST GEAR, and then back into PARK. The car should turn over at this point. There is something screwy about the sensors recognizing that the vehicle is in park (as if the computer believes it's in N instead of P so as to prevent you from starting the engine) I don't know where the correlation is or what directly it's related to but if it works.... it works... I have this problem occur on a regular basis and that's my bypass for the situation. Also when my sister had her 89 Max she had the same intermittent issue, and the resolution was the same.

Hope that helps

I'll let one of the gurus give you a real fix for the situation seeing that I am not such
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Kringle: You have a bad shifter bushing...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 AM

Ah... It all makes sense now! Thanks Greeny
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Yea one thing about our cars' security system that annoys me is the fact tht you have to enter the keycode to disarm the alarm (GXE), and you can't just put the keys in the ignition to stop it ( like most other cars i've driven).
Old 03-26-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by kringle03
The question though is about the car not starting, right? You're not trying to disengage the security system?

I assume your GXE is an auto and you haven't done a tranny swap, and this is an intermittent problem when I say the following:

The next time it happens, you unlock your car via the keypad/key, get into your car, insert key, and nothing happens (as far as the engine cranking), ENGAGE your BRAKE, take the SHIFTER and move it from PARK down to 1ST GEAR, and then back into PARK. The car should turn over at this point. There is something screwy about the sensors recognizing that the vehicle is in park (as if the computer believes it's in N instead of P so as to prevent you from starting the engine) I don't know where the correlation is or what directly it's related to but if it works.... it works... I have this problem occur on a regular basis and that's my bypass for the situation. Also when my sister had her 89 Max she had the same intermittent issue, and the resolution was the same.

Hope that helps

I'll let one of the gurus give you a real fix for the situation seeing that I am not such
Ahh problem solved! You are absolutely correct. Sometimes when I put it into Drive, it does not engage. I have to fiddle with the shift *** for it to correct engage into gear. So I have the same bushing problem.

On a side note, the alarm does work
Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

killed two birdies with one stone..

Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'll just leave this here

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Sometimes when I put it into Drive, it does not engage. I have to fiddle with the shift *** for it to correct engage into gear.
mine does that too, half of the time if you go straight to drive, it acts like its still in park or it slowly goes. you have to jiggle the shift **** so it goes into drive
Old 03-26-2009, 03:23 PM

I love videos
Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i'll just leave this here

where's that located? can the bushing be replaced?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

where's that located? can the bushing be replaced?
directly above the catalytic converter (have to unbolt that heatshield to expose it) and yea, it's like $4 from your dealer. my car used to randomly not start sometimes, and that was the problem for me. bout 2 years ago, using drive-on ramps i installed the bushing in about 5 minutes before heading off to work. just make sure the car is dead-cold before driving onto ramps... the catconv gets hot fast.