3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cutting the Eibach Pro-kit Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 09:26 PM

Cutting the Eibach Pro-kit Springs

Ive heard that the eibach pro-kit springs are the stiffest springs out there, so i was wondering if i cut them to lower my car an inch more than what they lower, would that lose the stiffness. cause i had intrax's on my old max and they becamse bouncy even with tokicos, i liked the tokicos, but the intrax's seemed too bouncy of a spring. so i was wondering what everyone thought if i went with the Tokico blues with cut (1 inch lower than what they come) eibach pro-kit springs?
Old 11-19-2001, 09:30 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Cutting the Eibach Pro-kit Springs

Originally posted by UndecidedMax
Ive heard that the eibach pro-kit springs are the stiffest springs out there, so i was wondering if i cut them to lower my car an inch more than what they lower, would that lose the stiffness. cause i had intrax's on my old max and they becamse bouncy even with tokicos, i liked the tokicos, but the intrax's seemed too bouncy of a spring. so i was wondering what everyone thought if i went with the Tokico blues with cut (1 inch lower than what they come) eibach pro-kit springs?
usuall the lower you go the more ride quality you lose, so yeah I think you'll lose the "stiffness"! and just in case you didn't know....cutting springs is unsafe and dangerous!
Old 11-19-2001, 09:37 PM

oh i know that, beforew i had my intrax/tokico set up i had cut stock springs with stock struts, wow can i tell you how bouncy that ride got, let a lone **** up everything that had to do with suspension, the ride was never the same.
but i was just asking because i want a lower ride but the stiffness of the eibachs instead of the bouncy ride of the intrax's, but if people dont think its a good idea to cut the eibachs, then ill probly just go with the intrax's again, unless you can tell me something comparable, maybe sprint but i dunno how the ride is compared to intrax.
also for the winter could i put the stock springs back in with the tokicos, or would that just mess up the struts?
thanks for you help. -Steve
Old 11-19-2001, 09:44 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I've got Srpints on, and driving through the rough pothole streets of DC isn't fun, its semi-bouncy and I feel every damn bump I felt with the stock suspension multiplied by 10! I've ridden in a 3rd gen with Intrax and its just as bad!!! my conclusion is anything lower than Eibachs probably feels like crap, but the look with the Sprints, Suspension Techs or Intrax is just too sweet so I had to make the sacrafice to lose comfort and put the Sprints on!!! and yeah you could swap springs during winter, but man, that would be bothersome as hell, but yeah its possible as long as the stock springs are in good shape!!!
Old 11-19-2001, 11:01 PM

Well, everyone has there own opion on cutting springs and since My
suspension guys been cutting springs for nearly 15 years . Its all about whop and if you know what you are doing. Just remeber if you cut a spring its still has the same strenght, it only will lose it if you heat it up or cut it with a torch. I had my springs cut 11 months ago and put on a 1 degree camber for the 3" drop and my tires still look like they are new! And it still rides like its normal except on big bumps! Just make sure who ever cuts them is good and makes them both even! Here's what my car looks like with cut springs up front!
Old 11-20-2001, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by ron4291
suspension guys been cutting springs for nearly 15 years . Its all about whop and if you know what you are doing. Just remeber if you cut a spring its still has the same strenght, it only will lose it if you heat it up or cut it with a torch. I had my springs cut 11 months ago and put on a 1 degree camber for the 3" drop and my tires still look like they are new! And it still rides like its normal except on big bumps! Just make sure who ever cuts them is good and makes them both even! Here's what my car looks like with cut springs up front!
I have eibachs and people ride in my max think that I still have stock springs because the ride is so good
Old 11-20-2001, 06:43 AM

alright thanks for your replys. im going to have to think about what im going to do. i think im going to go with intrax/tokico again because i was pretty happy with them and it had the drop without modifying the springs so i think thats what im going to do, thanks again. Peace
Old 11-20-2001, 07:45 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

are those stock springs that were cut?...that's not a 3" drop that's for sure...
Old 11-20-2001, 07:50 AM

Yes they were stock and I'm not talking about the spring Im
talking about the 3" gap from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. That is how much of a gap I had before we cut them.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:52 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Yes they were stock and I'm not talking about the spring Im
talking about the 3" gap from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. That is how much of a gap I had before we cut them.
OK. you had said "3" drop" which is why i question...
Old 11-20-2001, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I have eibachs and people ride in my max think that I still have stock springs because the ride is so good
do you have eibachs on stock struts? I may have to upgrade both my springs and struts this spring. I am definitely considering eibachs. I think my stock struts are on their way out. They are making funny noises whenever I go over bump or dips.