3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Interior sunroof cover alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 PM

Interior sunroof cover alternatives?

Are there any alternatives to the interior cover for the sunroof?
The piece that slides fowards/backwards to block sunlight coming in through the sunroof.

The stealership want $490 AUD for it....like f**k am I going to fork out 500 bucks for a piece of board just to save my already worn out leather interior.

Can I pull this piece from another vehicle?
or
Can I make one myself?
(I cant see this option being any more difficult that making custom speaker door pods - and I'll just use the material from my parts car so it matches the roof)

Idea's anyone?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Niccos89
Are there any alternatives to the interior cover for the sunroof?
The piece that slides fowards/backwards to block sunlight coming in through the sunroof.

The stealership want $490 AUD for it....like f**k am I going to fork out 500 bucks for a piece of board just to save my already worn out leather interior.

Can I pull this piece from another vehicle?
or
Can I make one myself?
(I cant see this option being any more difficult that making custom speaker door pods - and I'll just use the material from my parts car so it matches the roof)

Idea's anyone?
what's wrong with the one you have now? and by another vehicle, you mean some other car that ISN'T a 3G Max? I'm not sure if any other car's panel would match... as far as making one... if the rail slider things are still OK you might be able to take a new piece of fiberboard and cover it with fabric, and then rivet the rail thingies onto it. just gotta be sure to get the proper dimensions so it's not too narrow (loose) or wide (tight fit)
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Ya, is the one you have broken or missing like mine? Mine is a bit warped - bending in - and not seated on its track. Thus it doesn't slide manually or with the glass as it is supposed to. I also would like to know how to fix or replace it.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:07 AM

Mine is missing. Didnt realise they opened and closed with the glass, thats pretty cool.
Yeah I meant another Nissan, I thought maybe the sunroofs Nissan made were set sizes, and not different on every car.

I'm thinking a real thin sheet of plywood could bend enough without breaking to go inside the rails without having to pull half the roof apart.
Its just alot of stabs in the dark until I get it right, because I dont have one laying around to measure.

Does anyone have this piece out of their car at the moment that they could measure? Greeny?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 AM

I'd say your biggest challenge in that project will be taking the headliner out and putting it back up after your sunroof shutter is in.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 AM

DOES ANYONE WANT A WRITE-UP OR PICTURES OF THIS PROJECT?

I'm about 1/3 done now, I've cut some 4mm thick plywood to size, I need to wait for it to stop raining so I can trace the fillet to cut at the front, then add some fabric or whatever it is, off my parts rig, then add some kind of handle.

As for making it open and close with the sunroof, Ive never seen it in action, so I dunno how it works, I'm going to give that part a miss and just have it be opened/closed manually.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

yes.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
^^^^ agreed. had that happen to me quite a few times, last summer...

nicco, does your new cover have the brackets that set in the rails? if so, what are you using?

Brackets? Couldnt see anything on the rails that looked relevant to my missing cover. Im making it to be opened manually, however if you take some pics of these brackets and show me how its meant to go in, and how it opens with the glass, I can probably incorporate that.

I'll get this done through the week after work. I made a few stuff ups today, so I'll finish this half-assed one, then get a fresh piece and make a decent one, and take pics of the process and write it up.

Also, rather than bending this thing to get it into the rail, I think I'll cut it up the middle, put each side it, and brace it back together from the top, there's a fair bit of clearance to play with.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Niccos89
Brackets? Couldnt see anything on the rails that looked relevant to my missing cover. Im making it to be opened manually, however if you take some pics of these brackets and show me how its meant to go in, and how it opens with the glass, I can probably incorporate that.

I'll get this done through the week after work. I made a few stuff ups today, so I'll finish this half-assed one, then get a fresh piece and make a decent one, and take pics of the process and write it up.

Also, rather than bending this thing to get it into the rail, I think I'll cut it up the middle, put each side it, and brace it back together from the top, there's a fair bit of clearance to play with.
there are little springloaded thingies on the stock cover that it slides on. the board itself doesn't slide in the rail.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Good luck getting a heavy piece of plywood to stay in place using the stock gliders. You need to find an alternative solution if you're going to go through with this. I'd be on the lookout at the junkyard if I were in your shoes. And yeah, the dealer is trying to rip you off. Junkyard piece should cost you about $10 AUD.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 AM

The plywood isnt heavy at all, maybe 200 grams.
Unfortunatly, no J30s around in any of the wreckers Ive called/looked at.

It turns out the material in the roof, is actually a fairly stiff kind of board, no doubt the exact same sh*t as the cover I was trying to make.
I made an attempt at cutting that today, but the stuff bends like ****, so I thought I'd give the plywood a shot, and made some slips cutting it, now its waaay out.

CourtesyParts have it for about $160 USD,
If worse comes to worst, I'll find a J30 with stuff I want, t-bone the poor bastard at 70, while wearing a balaclava and no rego plates, then just pay another visit to the wreckers the next week......maybe I shouldnt post these kind of plans on the internet....(yes mod, that IS a joke)