3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

tick noise while rolling

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 PM

tick noise while rolling

So I have this tickin noise coming from the front. It seems like it ticks once every full wheel rotation, in the same spot.

It ticks if im coasting, doesn't matter if im going straight or making turns.

Tick speed changes with vehicle travel speed

Ticking does not change at all when braking

Ticking goes away when turning.

1 out of 20 times it wont tick when coasting, but as soon as I give it gas and then coast again the ticking starts up again.

I have jacked the car up, put in neutral and spin the wheels. I can't hear anything.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
I just replaced the driver axle, seems to maybe be coming from that side, but hard to tell being I have to be driving to hear the sound.

Last edited by maximaman1313; 04-12-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

do you remember the sound being there before the axle swap?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
do you remember the sound being there before the axle swap?
well my first axle, boot torn and 0 grease inside it didnt make that sound,but it made sounds. Replaced with a new axle, recent thread, and it was making a wobbling/vibration feeling when driving, I noticed the same sound I have now on this axle. Got that axle swapped out for another new one. The wobbling/vibration seems to have gone away. But that sound remains.

I just drove around block again, and as I pulled into my driveway I rolled real slow, and the noise hits at the same spot everytime and goes with the speed. I stopped the car and parked right in the middle of the noise. Going to go jack it up now and take a look. Thinking maybe another bad axle? what about wheel bearing? I dont remember hearing anything when I had the car up the other day and spinning the wheels.

Gonna go check it out now...
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Wish i was there, i could prolly tell you what the problem is with a spin around the block..
Old 04-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Is it normal for the tranny to make some noise while rotating the wheels while its jacked up and in neutral? I almost pinpointed a different noise which it does only at one point in the full revolution. Its where the passenger axles is inside the tranny. It almost sounds of a rubber squeak and it will do the noise the same conditions as if im driving. so if i rotate very slow it sounds slow etc. Being im moving the wheel 1 revolution per 10 turns, I think its giving me the rubber squeak noise which probably sounds like tick tick tick when im driving 35mph. I wish you were here too Greeny. I could use some on hand experienced diagnostic help. Troubleshooting noise issues over internet is hard to do.

I have changed tranny fluid maybe 6 months ago. I drained, refilled, drained 2 weeks later, and refilled again. Tranny was rebuilt 5 years ago, everything with it seems fine.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Relax mang, I seriously doubt it's a tranny issue..

I usually get out on the back roads and stomp the **** out of my car when i start hearing a funky noise, it usually goes away after the spanking..

Bad maxima!!

Last edited by Greeny; 04-11-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Relax mang, I seriously doubt it's a tranny issue..

I usually get out on the back roads and stomp the **** out of my car when i start hearing a funky noise, it usually goes away after the spanking..

Bad maxima!!
haha Ill have to spank her around. Ok so I got it secured on 2x 2 1/2ton jacks on each side in the front. Probably a real dumb idea, but I started it up and put it in drive. I stood outside the car but with hand on steering wheel and foot on the brake. I slowly let the brake go and let the wheels spin. I couldn't hear ****. Seemed smooth.

So now the noise only happens when the front suspension is supporting the weight of the car, as opposed to car being jacked up and wheels hanging instead of them on ground with weight of car on them.

I did put a new control arm on(from ebay) I dont see how that could cause a noise tho at a certain revolution of the wheel.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 PM

So I just went around the neighborhood and spanked the lil *****. I went into the church parking lot near by and just drove around real slow with head out window listenin. Im sure people driving by were like oh well.

So I said earlier it made the noise turning and it would not make the noise during acceleration.

Well I was wrong on that. I just couldnt hear the noise over the exhaust while accelerating. So it is making the noise coasting and under acceleration.

And also the noise stops when I turn. right or left.

The noise is actually starting to get worse the longer I drive. Seems to be quiet when I first start driving, then after a block or two it starts. But no noise when turning.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 AM

You have something stuck in a tire, probably a fat rock.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 AM

For as long as I've had my Max (5 years) I've had the noise that you're describing (mine coming form the driver side up front) but have never paid much attention to it. You're description is very accurate, and guys it's not a rubber gasket or anything having to do with the tranny, it sounds very similar to a bearing going out, but we have sealed bearings right? So I've never tried to repack them or replace... it's not the axles either... I'm on about my 3rd set over the years and the sound still remains... So in my guesstimation since it's been able to go this long there's not much to worry about... :shrugs: but that's just me...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You have something stuck in a tire, probably a fat rock.
that would only make noise while moving constantly, that wouldnt make loud enough noise when im literaly going an inch in 20seconds and make it the whole time.

Ive already inspected tires. plus I just had them re-balanced by my tire shop and they inspect them for nails etc.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by kringle03
For as long as I've had my Max (5 years) I've had the noise that you're describing (mine coming form the driver side up front) but have never paid much attention to it. You're description is very accurate, and guys it's not a rubber gasket or anything having to do with the tranny, it sounds very similar to a bearing going out, but we have sealed bearings right? So I've never tried to repack them or replace... it's not the axles either... I'm on about my 3rd set over the years and the sound still remains... So in my guesstimation since it's been able to go this long there's not much to worry about... :shrugs: but that's just me...
So if its a bearing, and not the axle, what bearing is it? The axle has 10 miles on it and its been making the noise since, and made the same noise on my other "new" axle I tried the week before.

The only time it doesn't make the noise is when Im turning.

Possible wheel bearing? But I thought that would make noise if I rotated wheel while jacked up...
Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Ok, So I just drove it around the neighborhood, alot longer than I planned, because I can't hear the sound anymore. I tried and tried to replicate it. I drove behind a store to hear the echo off that huge back wall, plus theres nobody back there. And all seems fine. The only difference today is that its rainin and the ground is wet. Water maybe washed something out?

Im going to drive it around here and there today and I guess we'll see how she holds up. Maybe she thought hard about the spanking I gave her last night

Last edited by maximaman1313; 04-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM

I had the same problem after I did a drum brake job on the rear. Turned out to be the tire weight put on the inside of my new rim rubbing on the strut when the body flexed during turns. Do you have aftermarket wheels on?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

Who knows, could it be those reman axles - no matter which one you get it's 16 yrs old? For instance the part in the Rezeppa Joint where the ***** go - the cage I guess, are those replaced or do they just put new ***** in. Maybe they get worn so stuff jiggles in the new joint because there's some play.