3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

So, I was bored AGAIN...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM

So, I was bored AGAIN...

Some or most of you guys are going to give negative thoughts but im not gonna hold that against you. yeah, i know whats the point but i just like to mod and mod and mod and this is a neat mod for me. its pointless but neat and original since you really don't see this everday. so, what i did was the following:

i grabbed my factory power heated mirror switch and took it apart and removed the blank cover from the right side and then grabbed one of my 2 JDM S13 power fold mirror switch and took it apart as well. i noticed that once that 3rd gen switch was apart it seems as if it already has the power fold circuitry but i may be wrong. also the 3rd gen harness for the switch has 8 wires but the switch it self has 10 so im assuming i have to add the extra 2 wires needed and do the necessary wiring for this to work. of course i have to get the mirrors but once i have that i will attempt to see if it will work. so here is the modified 3rd gen switch with JDM S13 power fold switch:

Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ban
Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM

damn, already??? this is uncool.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Way out West

dooo eeeeet

I like power folding mirrors. They would actually be useful parking downtown. I saw a 5th gen in person Sunday with some Cefiro folding mirrors and I thought it was cool.

On a 3rd gen, I guess it just depends on what the mirrors you use look like.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
damn, already??? this is uncool.
just playin mang as cliff said..doooeettt!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

That's awesome! I actually want to do the same thing. It looks like you have the switch I need 'Cause I already have the skyline folding mirrors but the switch that came with them is a vertical one. Can I see a bigger pic of the switch? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM

Greeny: come on buddy... i know you were just messing around. lol.

Cliff Clavin: well, when Nissan released our 3rd gens with the S13 and S14 (240SX) and all other Nissan/Infiniti's that share parts it occurred to me that the closest "I THINK" would be the S13 240SX mirrors that would fit our 3rd gens but i have get ahold of a pair and just swap the housing from the base or just rip out the internals and manage to install them into our 3rd gen housings.

mrkanda: just go to my cardomain page and scroll all the way down on page 1 and just click on the image so you can see a bigger pic of it.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM

so, i already ordered the mirrors and they should be here by this Tues. or Wed. can't wait so that i can see if this will work or not but i hope it does.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM

ok guys, i just got the mirrors in today. i risked this because i was thinking of swapping just the internals and thought that if it didn't work i was screwed but you know it actually bolted right up into the 3rd gen mirror housing. here are some pics:

top housing is the 240 and the bottom is the 3rd gen.

stock internals in my 3rd gen:

240 internals in 3rd gen housing:

i will try and finish it up tomorrow as it got late and just managed to do the driver side only. i also did keep the heated mirror and gave the JDM mirrors to my friend since he needed them for his 240. i also swapped the harness but i have to go get more wires to add the extra 4 wires that need to be used for the power fold feature. will post more pics and possibly a video if i know how to do that???

Last edited by GRNMAXDMON; 04-28-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM

looks tight man. looking forward for the final product of that right there like that.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 PM

thanks, about time you jump on in here. now get your old 3rd gen back!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 PM

Looks like quite a bit of work for something that isn't necessarily practical. I completely understand though Good luck with the mod.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i think power folding mirrors are quite pimp. don't get what all the hatin's about . i'm sure everyone used to call power windows or power locks impractical too... why? i don't know. cuz i don't see what's impractical about this either.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 AM

It's impractical because you can fold the mirrors manually without getting inside of the car, putting the key in the ignition, turning it to the on position and pressing a button only to have to wait for the motor to fold the mirrors. Sure it's "quite pimp" as you say, but that does not mean it is practical.

Although like I already said, "I completely understand" because I myself, have a ridiculous amount of time and energy invested in projects that are also impractical and unnecessary, but cool none the less. I'm not "hatin", I'm relatin'.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Hectic
It's impractical because you can fold the mirrors manually without getting inside of the car, putting the key in the ignition, turning it to the on position and pressing a button only to have to wait for the motor to fold the mirrors. Sure it's "quite pimp" as you say, but that does not mean it is practical.

Although like I already said, "I completely understand" because I myself, have a ridiculous amount of time and energy invested in projects that are also impractical and unnecessary, but cool none the less. I'm not "hatin", I'm relatin'.
so you can't push them with your hand, it's ONLY electric? knowing rick, he could probably wire up a button sleekly mounted on the underside of the mirror that you can just push from outside the car to fold them. tapped to the battery, not the ignition, so you don't have to have the key in. only real downside i see to them is crashproofness.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok guys, i just got the mirrors in today. i risked this because i was thinking of swapping just the internals and thought that if it didn't work i was screwed but you know it actually bolted right up into the 3rd gen mirror housing. here are some pics:

top housing is the 240 and the bottom is the 3rd gen.

stock internals in my 3rd gen:

240 internals in 3rd gen housing:

i will try and finish it up tomorrow as it got late and just managed to do the driver side only. i also did keep the heated mirror and gave the JDM mirrors to my friend since he needed them for his 240. i also swapped the harness but i have to go get more wires to add the extra 4 wires that need to be used for the power fold feature. will post more pics and possibly a video if i know how to do that???

the 240 mirror won't fit directly on to the max?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
the 240 mirror won't fit directly on to the max?
nope, at least the base won't for sure but the mirror housing is the same. so what i did is just swapped the internals that way i can still use my body colored mirrors on my car and not the 240's.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

dude thats effin awesome, nothing impractical about this. Nice job on finding out and trying it. I had no idea this option was even available at that period of time. I know that the 6th gen has it as an option but thats all
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
dude thats effin awesome, nothing impractical about this. Nice job on finding out and trying it. I had no idea this option was even available at that period of time. I know that the 6th gen has it as an option but thats all
yeah, neither did i. lately i've been hanging around too much with JDM fanatics buy mainly HONDA's. they all seem to have gotten these JDM mirrors and so i went ahead and did it as well.

so, here's a minor update. it turns out that you will need the switch from an S14 not S13. the JDM S14 switch is identical to our 3rd gens but the one that came in my '93 cuz the earlier model 3rd gens came with the ugly switch. the circuits are already there but you just have to get the S14 power fold switch and swap it into the 3rd gen empty slot thats on the right of our switch. all you have to do is just run the 4 extra wires into our factory harness and your done. im gonna finish running the wires tomorrow and see if i can somehow post a vid of it on here. come to think of it my car has parts from so many different cars.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM

all you have to do is just run the 4 extra wires into our factory harness and your done. im gonna finish running the wires tomorrow and see if i can somehow post a vid of it on here. come to think of it my car has parts from so many different cars.

so all the pins are already in the electrical connector? just need to run the wires?

btw thumbs up on this mod
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM

This is what i came across and you will see how identical the JDM S14 switch is to our 3rd gen switch:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from nicoclub.com
member: 94_240sx
I have some update on this.
My power folding mirrors originally came with a Skyline power folding mirror switch(center), but I didn't like the vertical orientation, so found 180sx switch(right). Recently, I found an s14 switch(left) with a heated mirror option and I couldn't pass it since it's super rare. My mirrors don't have heated option, but I figured I could use the switch for something else in the future like fog lights.

There was a problem with this s14 switch though. If I adjust the mirrors, a light came on heated switch. I took it apart and found out that the rubber piece on the right was slightly off the track.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres the link to the OP ---> http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=253619&page=2

Last edited by GRNMAXDMON; 05-01-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
so all the pins are already in the electrical connector? just need to run the wires?

btw thumbs up on this mod
on my harness i only have 8 pins for the heated and power mirrors from factory. all you have to do is add an extra 2 wires behind the harness and from those 2 wires you will connect a total of 4 wires onto them. from the switch harness you will have a total of 10 pins with power fold feature.

again, i will try and take detailed pics of all this so that you guys can see what i did.

Last edited by GRNMAXDMON; 05-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 AM

I am surprised that 240 side mirrors wouldn't fit! They looked damned near identical! Other thing is, why did they have that feature for the 240 and not the Maxima?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
dude thats effin awesome, nothing impractical about this.
I find it hilarious that you and mr cadaver think my comment was somehow dissing his project. He said nearly the same thing himself about the mod in the original post! "Pointless, but neat". I am the last person on here to diss someone for doing an unnecessary mod, you out of anybody should know this.

Things can be "effin awesome" but "not necessarily practical" at the same time you know?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 AM

I find it hilarious that you and mr cadaver think my comment was somehow dissing his project. He said nearly the same thing himself about the mod in the original post! "Pointless, but neat". I am the last person on here to diss someone for doing an unnecessary mod, you out of anybody should know this.

Things can be "effin awesome" but "not necessarily practical" at the same time you know?
Hectic, Caped, and others; this is why i stated that some will say its pointless and others will say it is neat. knowing me i will most likely get bored of the mod and not use it but it was an experience that i was able to pioneer this mod for our 3rd gens. same goes for all those that have done the same on doing new things to our 3rd gens and share it with us. im glad that none of you guys are flaming me on this but rather agreeing and disagreeing on this. everyone in here has their own point of view and thats ok. but im just happy that i finally finished it and am able to share this with you.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM

here are the final pics of the conncections:

here i ran the blue and green wires through the door to the connector on the passenger side. from the door i ran the wires under the dash behind the glove box over the auto climate control above the cluster straight into the power mirror switch.

in this one is the same thing as above but on the driver side. i swapped both connectors with the 240 connectors so that i have 5 wires instead of 3 wires from the factory.

this is the back of the switch connected. notice to the right are the pink and grey wires that i had to add for the power fold feature.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 AM

here are the blue wires i tapped the blue wire from the passenger side into the driver side that way it will connect to the one wire coming out of the switch.

i did the same with the green wires as well.

and here is what all 4 wires look like once connected together and then connect them to the back of the extra 2 wires that i added into the connector harness. after is done and connected the mirrors will start to work.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'm pretty damn impressed that you went from "maybe i'll get the mirrors evetually" to almost having it up and running in less than 2 weeks!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM

too bad i didn't see this sooner...i did this a while back and could have saved you some time/money.

this actually is a practical mod if you ever park on a university campus. i had to manually fold back my mirrors a couple of times a week. students with big backpacks walking between cars used to always fold the mirrors back. this isn't a big deal until you start driving and realize you can't see out of your mirrors.

i spent a bit of money importing r32 gts-t mirrors. these had the exact same shape as the 3rd gen. they were also the only mirrors that i could find that came with both heated and power folding mirrors. unfortunately, the mirrors weren't magnified and the angle was meant for RHD. also, the wiring was shorter than the 3rd gen's so i found that reusing the maxima's wiring was better than extending the r32's wiring. this takes more time but looks better in the end. i transplanted the motors into the 3rd gen housing.

the easiest step was the switch. yes, the 3rd gen switch already has all of the necessary circuits. you have to take the center pin out from the side of the switch that holds the blank. it looks like you tried to pry it out from the front. the r32 button was like yours and didn't look right to me. it also required too much work for me to want to use it. s14 switches are in demand from the 240 crowd. i imported a couple of switches from a sunny. it has the perfect size and nobody really wants them.

this took me a full day of work and testing trying to figure everything out myself. anyways, it looks like you got everything sorted out.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i'm pretty damn impressed that you went from "maybe i'll get the mirrors evetually" to almost having it up and running in less than 2 weeks!
thanks Caped, i can finally say it took me less 2 weeks to actually finish one of my own mods compared to my never ending headlight retrofit which is still not done. but i am glad it worked out and everything is working fine. when i saw these mirrors on ebay, i took the risk of ordering them not thinking "i wonder if they will work/fit???" but once i got them everything went smoother than i thought.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by maximal
too bad i didn't see this sooner...i did this a while back and could have saved you some time/money.

the easiest step was the switch. yes, the 3rd gen switch already has all of the necessary circuits. you have to take the center pin out from the side of the switch that holds the blank. it looks like you tried to pry it out from the front. the r32 button was like yours and didn't look right to me.
i didn't pry mine out. all i did was just slide the securing pin out from the side and blank came right out.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 AM

Did you wire it to a constant source? You could tap into the power seat circuit just to keep things clean.. I hope you soldered those joints before shrink wrapping.. Looks like you're on your way, hopefully you can post a video when done!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM

Did you wire it to a constant source? You could tap into the power seat circuit just to keep things clean.. I hope you soldered those joints before shrink wrapping.. Looks like you're on your way, hopefully you can post a video when done!
everything is wired up to the switch. the switch is the only source. and all the wires are behind my dash. our switch already has the circuits in there, so all you have to do is just add the 2 extra wires in the harness and run the wires to the mirrors and your done. i already have a video of it but don't know how to post it. do you know how i can post it?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 AM

thats sick man nice mod its clean and factory looking without a doubt one of a kind i have the same mod and mod itch we may be maxima owners on here but there all different cars mods like that make them unique from the rest
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

everything is wired up to the switch. the switch is the only source. and all the wires are behind my dash. our switch already has the circuits in there, so all you have to do is just add the 2 extra wires in the harness and run the wires to the mirrors and your done. i already have a video of it but don't know how to post it. do you know how i can post it?
youtube or photobucket

do eet!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
youtube or photobucket

do eet!
here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-b8UczlDg
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

nice!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 PM

i didn't pry mine out. all i did was just slide the securing pin out from the side and blank came right out.
really? on your cardomain, the front of the switch looks a little beat up.

you didn't mention modifying the base for lhd...did you?

Quick Reply: So, I was bored AGAIN...