3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

So, I was bored AGAIN...

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 AM

Props
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by maximal
really? on your cardomain, the front of the switch looks a little beat up.

you didn't mention modifying the base for lhd...did you?
my mistake, the switch looks like that because i had cut the inside a bit but it was useless since i had to swap the power fold switch with another one that was meant for my 3rd gen switch which in turn i ended up using the S14 power fold switch. so the trimming was unnecessary. if you are referring about the base of the mirrors then yes i did. but it was minor grinding on both sides that i had to trim down.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Mad props, bro! Definately beat ME to the punch! I've still got my Skyline mirrors sitting in my closet gathering dust because - stupid me - I left the switch back in my old Max that I sold a loooong time ago.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Mad props, bro! Definately beat ME to the punch! I've still got my Skyline mirrors sitting in my closet gathering dust because - stupid me - I left the switch back in my old Max that I sold a loooong time ago.
damn, now that was smart of you to leave the switch in your old max. j/k. hop on ebay and just order an S14 power fold switch and your done.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
my mistake, the switch looks like that because i had cut the inside a bit but it was useless since i had to swap the power fold switch with another one that was meant for my 3rd gen switch which in turn i ended up using the S14 power fold switch. so the trimming was unnecessary. if you are referring about the base of the mirrors then yes i did. but it was minor grinding on both sides that i had to trim down.
yeah, that's what i meant when i said it wasn't worth the effort. i just went and found another switch that matched it better.

about grinding those securing tabs off...i wasn't too happy with it. it didn't feel as solid as it should. i tested the modified switch with the unmodified r32 mirrors beforehand and it didn't feel the same. they work perfectly, but i know it can be better. i just don't think i want to waste the time and money finding a set of LHD power folding mirrors (if they even exist).

btw, these mirrors and parts are a lot easier to find these days. most of the 240 guys importing all the jdm parts gut their cars and convert all power functions to manual. don't spend over $100 on everything. you should be able to get everthing for around $60. i think i spent almost $250 way back when i imported parts from japan and australia
Old 05-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by maximal
yeah, that's what i meant when i said it wasn't worth the effort. i just went and found another switch that matched it better.

about grinding those securing tabs off...i wasn't too happy with it. it didn't feel as solid as it should. i tested the modified switch with the unmodified r32 mirrors beforehand and it didn't feel the same. they work perfectly, but i know it can be better. i just don't think i want to waste the time and money finding a set of LHD power folding mirrors (if they even exist).

btw, these mirrors and parts are a lot easier to find these days. most of the 240 guys importing all the jdm parts gut their cars and convert all power functions to manual. don't spend over $100 on everything. you should be able to get everthing for around $60. i think i spent almost $250 way back when i imported parts from japan and australia
well, i roughly spent about $150 for the whole setup. i was actually lucky to find these mirrors here in the states. some guy in Philly had them laying around with all the wiring and the switch that i actually needed. i got it within 5 days in the mail. but now i can't even enjoy this cuz now i have 1 dead injector and im waiting for my local dealer to get it so it should be here tomorrow. once i get that i can finally drive my car after sitting for almost 2 months.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I wanna do this mod when I get my 3rd gen running on all 6 cylinders lol. I dont drive it often cuz its on 4 cyl right now and bla its just not as fun as it used to be.

Nice job man!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM

thanks buddy.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 PM

sorry for bumping such an old thread..but it has almost every piece of information needed to complete this mod...i am in the process of doing this myself and came across something that would be good to know..

i ended up purchasing the switch on the far right, it was the actual switch from the picture as i bought it from the guy who was helping GRNMAXDMON with his switch inquiries. it is a JDM Z switch.

the PFM switch part (what you see) fits perfectly...however it is a MAJOR PITA to remove the securing pin that holds the switch/dummy plate..at least it was for me BOTH times I had to do it...ended up dremeling the JDM Z switch pretty much in half just to get the PFM switch out of it

what I havnt seen mentioned in the thread so far is that you not only need to replace the dummy plate with the PFM switch...but there is also a white piece of plastic that connects to the back of the switch that moves the contacts up and down against the board..it can be seen in the picture below

the far left piece of white plastic inside of the switch housing -> GOOD THING TO KNOW #1

the reason i bring this up is because the white piece that comes out of the JDM Z switch (the most prolific of any JDM switch w/ PFM i could manage to find) will NOT fit in the maxima mirror switch housing...at least without modification, you will need to dremel the sides down and maybe another dimension of it to get it to fit -> GOOD THING TO KNOW #2

and last but not least GOOD THING TO KNOW #3
if you search for a JDM s13 or s14 switch on ebay or otherwise...make sure you get an actual picture of the switch you are buying...there are older style switches (the part to adjust the mirrors is usually square) that do have PFM switches but they are different from the ones in the first quoted picture. the mirrors on the switch itself are square like and do not look as good as the switches in the second quoted picture.

i bid you good day.