3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Would like some insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Would like some insight

This is what I call the badside of my max, but my problem is deciding what to do next. I like the car very much, but sometimes I can't stand looking at these things. Although I have a new door(not yet installed) the frame on the inside is still rotted and bent from when I got hits(2x on the same side one was hit and run, and one was called my fault which I disagreed with) I dont want to sell of course but imma college kid I dont really have the funds to get it shining again I dont what to do just want ideas. Should I take my time getting it looking good again? cause I now auto body shops will charge a bundle or shall I try to find someone who does it on the side for cheap. I dont wanna sell because I like IT but I dont wanna ride throught the summer like that eithier................... IDEAS? THANX!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by biggz2332

This is what I call the badside of my max, but my problem is deciding what to do next. I like the car very much, but sometimes I can't stand looking at these things. Although I have a new door(not yet installed) the frame on the inside is still rotted and bent from when I got hits(2x on the same side one was hit and run, and one was called my fault which I disagreed with) I dont want to sell of course but imma college kid I dont really have the funds to get it shining again I dont what to do just want ideas. Should I take my time getting it looking good again? cause I now auto body shops will charge a bundle or shall I try to find someone who does it on the side for cheap. I dont wanna sell because I like IT but I dont wanna ride throught the summer like that eithier................... IDEAS? THANX!!!!!!!!

lots of bondo? jk
but seriously do you know anyone who can weld the frame etc. that would help you tons b/c you could cut out and weld in new metal if you really wanted to but it wouldn't look perfect. Basically if you want a quick/cheap fix you're gonna need to know people with tools. if not you're gonna pay out the butt
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Garf
lots of bondo? jk
but seriously do you know anyone who can weld the frame etc. that would help you tons b/c you could cut out and weld in new metal if you really wanted to but it wouldn't look perfect. Basically if you want a quick/cheap fix you're gonna need to know people with tools. if not you're gonna pay out the butt
Yea wen I say quick cheap im talkin a professional autobody guy but he does side work at his house also
Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Yea wen I say quick cheap im talkin a professional autobody guy but he does side work at his house also
so go with him. as long as he does good work and have the tools your golden. just go to your local junkyard and cut out the side thats mangled on yours and replace with the junkyard part and then install new-used door and get it prepped for paint. i have seen worse cases than this.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
so go with him. as long as he does good work and have the tools your golden. just go to your local junkyard and cut out the side thats mangled on yours and replace with the junkyard part and then install new-used door and get it prepped for paint. i have seen worse cases than this.
ok I under stand that junkyard part but if wanted to cant the dents be knocked out or no
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

ok I under stand that junkyard part but if wanted to cant the dents be knocked out or no
You mean from the door or wheel well? With the door, you have a replacement so just switch them. For the wheel well there are too many dents and rust on small creased areas and couldn't be properly bent back out with out a lot of body work on top (bondo or welding). Like Garf said just cut out the metal you need from a good JY car and have it welded in. That's what is done with damaged rear quarter panels. Besides, only if you replace the rusted parts will the rust stay gone.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

too much rust. if the rocker panel is that bad, there is probably GOBS of rust elsewhere that you might not even see. sadly your best bet is to junk it, and buy a rust-free (southern US) 3rd gen and swap your mods and stuff over to it.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 PM

not really, since its kinda hard to get all those small dents out on that lip of the quarter panel unless using a crap load of bondo plus the work thats involved to reshape it and the contours nearly back to spec so it lines up with the door. just cut it out and weld on a new piece. like we all said earlier just replace the door and replace the rocker panel with quarter panel only where its damaged and weld the new one on.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 PM

LOL! no fixing that door bud.... better off geting jy door for liek 50 bucks.... bang out the dogleg and bondo it up.....i would cut out that rust edge after i had banged it out and reweld in some fresh metal for that outer lip and put filler on it.... i could probibly get it in primber in a day or so...but even if i went cheap i wouldnt fix it and paint it for less than $500.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by mrkanda
You mean from the door or wheel well? With the door, you have a replacement so just switch them. For the wheel well there are too many dents and rust on small creased areas and couldn't be properly bent back out with out a lot of body work on top (bondo or welding). Like Garf said just cut out the metal you need from a good JY car and have it welded in. That's what is done with damaged rear quarter panels. Besides, only if you replace the rusted parts will the rust stay gone.
Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
not really, since its kinda hard to get all those small dents out on that lip of the quarter panel unless using a crap load of bondo plus the work thats involved to reshape it and the contours nearly back to spec so it lines up with the door. just cut it out and weld on a new piece. like we all said earlier just replace the door and replace the rocker panel with quarter panel only where its damaged and weld the new one on.

Ok ill guess ill go to the junkyard sometime and cut out what I need and get someone to weld it

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
too much rust. if the rocker panel is that bad, there is probably GOBS of rust elsewhere that you might not even see. sadly your best bet is to junk it, and buy a rust-free (southern US) 3rd gen and swap your mods and stuff over to it.
Only one problem I live in the northeast can't really get to the south for a car

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
LOL! no fixing that door bud.... better off geting jy door for liek 50 bucks.... bang out the dogleg and bondo it up.....i would cut out that rust edge after i had banged it out and reweld in some fresh metal for that outer lip and put filler on it.... i could probibly get it in primber in a day or so...but even if i went cheap i wouldnt fix it and paint it for less than $500.
Thats way cheaper than wat the autobody professional quoted me
Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Only one problem I live in the northeast can't really get to the south for a car
if you find one online near me (within, say, 15 miles of where i am), i can check it out for you and if you want it fly down and get it and drive it back.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

That's an easy fix. First, slap the new door on it (heck find a red door if you can and you won't have to paint it). Second, cut out a good piece from a donor car and weld it in (and no, don't JUST do the "outer lip" do the whole section). The outwardly visible part of the repair will be so minimal (what - an inch? - from the door to the actual wheel well) that you can just paint it with normal Duplicolor red spray paint and it will match quite well and be hardly visible paint-match wise since it's not on a large continuous body panel.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM

if you find one online near me (within, say, 15 miles of where i am), i can check it out for you and if you want it fly down and get it and drive it back.
I dont got $$$$$$$ like dat lol
Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
That's an easy fix. First, slap the new door on it (heck find a red door if you can and you won't have to paint it). Second, cut out a good piece from a donor car and weld it in (and no, don't JUST do the "outer lip" do the whole section). The outwardly visible part of the repair will be so minimal (what - an inch? - from the door to the actual wheel well) that you can just paint it with normal Duplicolor red spray paint and it will match quite well and be hardly visible paint-match wise since it's not on a large continuous body panel.
yea imma do this idea most of ya suggest it
Old 04-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I dont got $$$$$$$ like dat lol
then i'd stop spend money on making the car 'nice' and start saving.... cuz you could end up like this

Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 PM

then i'd stop spend money on making the car 'nice' and start saving.... cuz you could end up like this

I would save if i worked but I dont so I really dont have money to spend either that why I wanted ideas on fixing it not entireley buying a new one