3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tan seatbelts FTL

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Tan seatbelts FTL

I bought my car with 87k miles on it. One would think that it would be in excellent condition inside and out. Not so fast, the previous owner frequently used the car as a dog house. Seatbelts are stained, carpet is stained, leather could be chopped up and sold in 5oz packages by Oberto.

Today I went out to the yard with a 22 of some IPA and tore down the nearly flawless interior of a 94 SE. I was after the mint black seat belts and all black plastic pieces which are tan on my car. It's amazing how clean this car was on the inside, especially considering it had 172k miles.

I don't like to post about things before they are finished, but I'm stoked that I finally have a black seat belt kit ready to install when the time comes to restore my interior, should be relatively soon.

Yes, disgusting I know. It has looked this way since I bought the car, I've never bothered trying to clean anything knowing that it would all be replaced.

Last edited by Hectic; 05-09-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM

The good stuff. $30 for everything

Last edited by Hectic; 05-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM

I have 181k miles on mine, black interior is mint on it.
I used to have another one with 106k miles on it with tan interior, previous owner had kids and well it was a total mess with grape juice, gum, some other dried up stuff, and many more "wtf is this" stains.

All depends on the previous owners and how well they kept it clean.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Nice swipe for 30 bones!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Way out West

Nice find for $30. What yard was it at? Was there any engine parts left? I could have used a spare set of coil packs.

My seatbelts were pretty tore up when I got my car and I took it to the dealership and they replaced them for free. That wouldn't work for you, since they would replace them with tan. Plus, they only do the fronts, which are all one unit.

They have to show "damage" and not just stains, though. Luckily, someone that drove my car before must have worn a lot of jackets with zippers or something because the driver side was all frayed.

I don't know why, but lately I have been drinking Blue Moon. Also, I found that Rite-Aid has far and away the lowest price on beer. Yesterday there were 10 people in Rite-Aid and nine of us were buying beer.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I don't know why, but lately I have been drinking Blue Moon. Also, I found that Rite-Aid has far and away the lowest price on beer. Yesterday there were 10 people in Rite-Aid and nine of us were buying beer.
I dont know what this has to do with seatbelts....
Enough cheap beer for you!

Good find for $30
That tan would drive me up the wall, if I were you I'd be busting to change into those new black ones ASAP.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Niccos89

Good find for $30
That tan would drive me up the wall, if I were you I'd be busting to change into those new black ones ASAP.
studies show that american beer sucks.

anyway, why were the original seatbelts tan? seems a little odd, definitely a good swipe fro 30 bones
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Good job! Man, I hate tan interiors with a passion. My Civic is a goldish color and I ended up spending over a year piecing together a full black interior for it, and I'm still missing a few little pieces. I've also been stocking up on black Maxima interior pieces (and a mint dash) from various junkyards
Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Nice find for $30. What yard was it at? Was there any engine parts left? I could have used a spare set of coil packs.

My seatbelts were pretty tore up when I got my car and I took it to the dealership and they replaced them for free. That wouldn't work for you, since they would replace them with tan. Plus, they only do the fronts, which are all one unit.

They have to show "damage" and not just stains, though. Luckily, someone that drove my car before must have worn a lot of jackets with zippers or something because the driver side was all frayed.

It was at Foster UPI, now LKQ, they keep it organized and the crew is extremely cool. The VE is still mostly in tact, front coils are gone though, rear ones are still there. Other than that, all I noticed was that someone snatched the CPS and the MAF was gone. The car was smashed on the front RH corner, it's a sapphire blue SE with no sunroof and perfect body aside from the crunched corner, kind of depressing. Oh well, I got some nice seatbelts finally!

I remember talking to you about your replacement belts. I tried once to get them to start fraying, but it didn't work And yep, I did want them all black, with the black latches and trim.

I don't think I've ever had Blue Moon, although I most likely would have if they made an IPA, unless it's one of those $9.00 per 6 pack brands. I buy whatever is on sale at Fred Meyer. I didn't know that Rite Aid sold brew, that's kind of funny. I guess Walgreens does though, so I'm not surprised.

Sucks about those Blazers, I bet that Matt Blehm character has been busy watching the Rockets give Kobe and the Steakers a run for their money

Originally Posted by Niccos89

Good find for $30
I mentioned I brought a beer with me into the yard.

It's a decent amount of work to remove/replace this stuff. I will wait until I have new carpet and new leather, and I will do it all at once. But I do wish they were installed now, my "WTF stained" seat belts are embarrassing.

Originally Posted by Garf
studies show that american beer sucks.

anyway, why were the original seatbelts tan? seems a little odd, definitely a good swipe fro 30 bones
Molson eh? If you're ever down in Portland, be sure to drink some local brew and you'll find out those studies are inaccurate.

Originally Posted by James92SE
Good job! Man, I hate tan interiors with a passion. My Civic is a goldish color and I ended up spending over a year piecing together a full black interior for it, and I'm still missing a few little pieces. I've also been stocking up on black Maxima interior pieces (and a mint dash) from various junkyards
Yeah, Civics get stripped down within days in the junkyard. I'm not surprised it's taken over a year to get everything you need.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Way out West

too bad the RH corner is smashed. Something happened to my RF headlight. I need to take it apart and see what happened. It's loose and now it won't aim correctly.

When I was there before that last meet, there were only a couple of older VGs that were pretty beat down.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

You Portland guys have some real gems up there. I've been up there a few times and I swear just about every 15-20 year old car I saw was in crazy good condition. Just random people driving around old nice cars! I even saw lots of daily driven really nice cars from the '70s driving around. I guess it's the climate or does everybody up there just take care of their cars?

Anyway, and indoor junkyards! That blew my mind
Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 AM

great stuff man...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by James92SE
You Portland guys have some real gems up there. I've been up there a few times and I swear just about every 15-20 year old car I saw was in crazy good condition. Just random people driving around old nice cars! I even saw lots of daily driven really nice cars from the '70s driving around. I guess it's the climate or does everybody up there just take care of their cars?

Anyway, and indoor junkyards! That blew my mind
No salt on the roads and for the most part the roads are in decent condition. Plus, not really crazy bad traffic until the last 10 years or so anywhere in Oregon.