3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fog Lights - re-wiring HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Fog Lights - re-wiring HELP !!!

Hi to all...

i have been trying to find a thread where i can see if someone has used the original wiring of the stock maxima to wire a pair of fog lights.

What i am trying to do is i bought a part of fog lights mounted them on and everything is all set i have wired them up to the inside!

my questions is can i use the button that is on the dash for the fog lights ? and if i can how do i re wire it with the current setup i have?
if not i will have to put the aftermarket switch somewhere around the dash!

After i took apart the dash and the button there are 4 cables going to it!

1. Black
2. Red with yellow pin stripe
3. Blue with orange pin stripe
4. Black with red pin stripe

I am not sure which one is which and also i am not sure if i can use that button at all but any suggestions will do !
Thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 AM

umm just use the power and ground at the foglight itself and put to new foglight you are using. this way you still use the stock switch to turn on and off...no re-wiring recquired, and you didnt need to run any wires. and not neccesary to remove dash in any way or mess with the switch.

I think 2 wires are from battery/ground(possibly a relay), and other 2 go to foglights

theres should be zero issues just cuttin the currently foglights off and using those wires to your new foglights

Last edited by maximaman1313; 05-12-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM

you are right, after i re-wired everything i decided to finally check if i can see if there were any fog lights cables already pre wired and i finally found them ... right infront of the front tires in the bumper!

there are 2 cables coming out of those lines a Red with yellowish and a black one !
the obvious thing to assume is the red is power black is ground !

i cut them off of the boot since i am using after market fog lights but after connecting the red to the "red" really white cable of the new foglight and the black to black !

i turn on my headlights all the way .. press the button on the dash but fog lights are not turning on !?

i checked the relay thats right infornt the battery looks ok !

any other suggestions??? i have no idea what to look for from here on confused as hell !
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Just an update,

i double checkd everytihng .. and ended up getting to swap the blue relay the moment i did that ! everything worked like a charm. removed all the aftermarket cables and switches and everything is perfect !

btw just as an update the foglights do not work or actually they turn off when you put your high beams !!! when the low beams are on the foglights are on but when you switch they turn off as well.

and also you cannot or actually you can have the fog lishts on with the sidemarkers but there is some more additional re-wiring that needs to be done !!!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM

good work young grass hopper
Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by petere
Just an update,

i double checkd everytihng .. and ended up getting to swap the blue relay the moment i did that ! everything worked like a charm. removed all the aftermarket cables and switches and everything is perfect !

btw just as an update the foglights do not work or actually they turn off when you put your high beams !!! when the low beams are on the foglights are on but when you switch they turn off as well.

and also you cannot or actually you can have the fog lishts on with the sidemarkers but there is some more additional re-wiring that needs to be done !!!
Yea your fogs are supposed to turn off when the highbeams come on.....You really shouldnt have highbeams on anyways in the fog so i guess thats the reasoning for it.... ive never tried wireing so that the fogs come on with just the running lights... that would probibly look cool...
Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
Yea your fogs are supposed to turn off when the highbeams come on.....You really shouldnt have highbeams on anyways in the fog so i guess thats the reasoning for it.... ive never tried wireing so that the fogs come on with just the running lights... that would probibly look cool...
heh, I don't like that tho. if anything, it should prevent you from using your highbeams when foglighs are on, not the other way around. having fog lights on with highbeams is nice cuz the fogs will help light up the road in front of you that is no longer being lit up by the headlights. if you hold your headlight switch just so, you can get high and low to come on together... but i always worry i'll burn something up doing that.

personally (this is to you too Petere), i would wire them to the parking light circuit. that way i could have them on with my highbeams, low beams, whatever i felt like.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver

personally (this is to you too Petere), i would wire them to the parking light circuit. that way i could have them on with my highbeams, low beams, whatever i felt like.

thats how mine are wired . I have a switch I put on the center console by the vent switch near stereo. I can control them on/off as long as the running lights, or whatever they are called(the first click turning the lights on).

although its much easier just hooking them up to the stock wires.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by petere
Just an update,

damn, i remember when i posted this same question back in 2002. well, here you go my friend ---> http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/. go there and click on his "how-to" link up top and then scroll down to the Exterior section and then click on "Rewiring Directions for foglights and corner lights" and just read his write-up on that and your done. i did this back in 2002 and it hasn't failed me since then.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
thats how mine are wired . I have a switch I put on the center console by the vent switch near stereo. I can control them on/off as long as the running lights, or whatever they are called(the first click turning the lights on).

although its much easier just hooking them up to the stock wires.
just go to the link i provided above and just rewire it again and then eliminate the extra switch you installed.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Somewhat related, besides stock which are the best aftermarket foglights/driving lights to fit our vehicles? I have been looking at the Hella FF 75s. I think a longer light would look better with our headlights than a round one.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Somewhat related, besides stock which are the best aftermarket foglights/driving lights to fit our vehicles? I have been looking at the Hella FF 75s. I think a longer light would look better with our headlights than a round one.
in my sig i have the round one but from Eurolite. damn those things were garbage. once i installed a set that looks similar to the factory units, the light output was better compared to the round ones. but of course you can always upgrade to better bulbs as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM

my fog lights are Hella, I cant remember what model number, but they are like .25" wider, maybe slightly taller, but they look almost like the stock lights. But they put out alot more light, which is why I have mine wired to a seperate switch, because i ran a relay with thicker wires so I wouldnt burn the stock wires. They do definately help light the road up closer to the vehicle when its really hard to see