3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Thinking about selling, what should I ask

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 AM

Thinking about selling, what should I ask

Hey guys, I am thinking about selling. I am not sure yet, just considering. What do you think I could get or should ask? I know I will lose my ***. I have so much into her and I know that no one will give me $20K+. I have accepted that. What I am looking for is honest opinion.

It has a new motor and trans less than 10K ago. Suspension is also less than 10K. The paint and body are less than 2 years done with $7K in paint. Everything is in done well, nothing half-assed. Those that saw the car at the 2008 Maxus can attest to that. She is a beaut.

for more info you can go to the cardomain page
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2091707
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 AM

I would say somewhere in the high 2k's to low 3's. Its hard to get $$ for mods.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Why would you sell? I guarantee you you won't get hardly enough to even remotely make it worth your while. Unless you're desperate for urgent cash and will take some ridiculously low amount for it, I'd almost venture to say it won't sell at all. Have you seen all the clean Maximas that haven't sold lately at low-prices? Heck, even 3.5 swapped 4th gen guys are having a hard time selling at fair prices. Also, this thread will probably get moved..
Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 AM

That is tough. Looks like you have a ton of $$$ in the car, but either way it is almost a 20 year old car..... Looks good. Good luck..
Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM

so much money into it, not worth it at all to sell,

If you are patient enough (meaning very patient) you may be able to find the right buyer though and possibly get something like $4-5k
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Not worth selling, inless you have some stalker/fan on this site thats been secretly drooling over it. Just keep it till the wheels fall off and buy something else.

* $4gs TOPS.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Thanks guys. You are all probably right. I was hoping, if I did sell to see north of $7K. I am thinking about getting a rear drive two seater like a Solstace. I don't drive the Maxima much so it is hard to justify keeping a piece of art for the garage.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
I don't drive the Maxima much so it is hard to justify keeping a piece of art for the garage.
That's true at this point in time, but I guarantee if you sold it (uselessly losing all the money you put into it), you'd regret it big time in the future. Assuming you don't HAVE to have the grand or two cash you could make off of it, and have the physical space for it, just keep it and maintain it and take it out for a drive every once in a while. These cars are already dying off quick, I'm sure you'd really enjoy having a very well-maintained semi-rarity in the future. Who knows, maybe in the future you'll end up with a rare '00s era "retro" modded Maxima.

And for what it's worth, I really don't think you could even get the $4-5k some of the guys predicted. Not that logically you shouldn't, just that modded cars NEVER sell for hardly anything (aside from high-end stuff of course), and the fact that you've done everything the right way means you're really just more prone to losing a great deal of money. If you keep it, yeah, you don't drive it as much, but you're also not "losing" all that money. Plus, just imagine all the labor/time that you'd be losing in addition to just the pure value of all the parts. You can never make that value back
Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Yeah just ride it out till its done. You'll regret selling it in the end
Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i agree with those that said all that money is lost if you sell it... but actually the money is already spent, so you won't 'get the money back' by keeping the car either... it's just a matter of whether or not you want to have anything to show for all the money you spent, and whether you still enjoy driving the car more now than you did before you started all the modifications.

If it just simply doesn't float your boat anymore (the looks, or the ride), and if you don't feel that strong of a sentimental attachment to it, then perhaps it could be better enjoyed by someone else (hopefully a member on here that would appreciate a well-taken-care of very modded 3rd gen). I know occasionally some of the VQ guys want to dip back into the past and get 3rd gens. but truthfully money should not really be part of the equation. moreso how you feel about the car itself, whether you have room for it (or need the room for something else), etc.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM
STFU n00b!

I'll give you fi dolla for it.

Unfortunately, that's about all you're ever going to hear for bids on it as well.

Good luck selling if you do. But unfortunately you simply won't get much for it. nobody wants a 20 yr old car with $20k in mods.. (I have one of my own I've been considering selling.. but nobody will give me anywhere NEAR what I've got into it.)
Old 07-16-2009, 05:44 PM

don't sell her buddy. i have a friend that is kicking his own @ss for selling his 3rd gen. it was very clean as well but not as clean as yours. well, now he is trying to find the new owner and try to buy it back. i don't see that happening for him anytime soon. me personally i would not sell the car just because you won't get your money back at all with all the mods on it. not even $7k will take your car off your hands. this is another reason why i haven't bothered getting rid of mine. think of it this way. the car is payed off, you can do whatever you want to it without the dealer giving you $hit about the mods, parts you can find a dime a dozen at low prices, and lastly it'll be a spare car in case you need to take the new car to the dealer for repairs. this is what i do.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:33 PM

I agree you will never see the money that you spent in the car again....You should get around 3k from someone who LOVES your car but thats about it... ive been "Selling" my car by word of mouth for the past year or so even after all the mods im only asking 2500.... i Know for a fact i have over 5k total invested in the car but im fine with that because i know that most mods dont increase the value of your car but some IMO do like the wheels and body kit and clean paint.....
Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Why would you sell? I guarantee you you won't get hardly enough to even remotely make it worth your while. Unless you're desperate for urgent cash and will take some ridiculously low amount for it, I'd almost venture to say it won't sell at all. Have you seen all the clean Maximas that haven't sold lately at low-prices? Heck, even 3.5 swapped 4th gen guys are having a hard time selling at fair prices. Also, this thread will probably get moved..
I have to agree with James on this one. You customized the car to your liking. You did in your image, put all your money into it and its is your lil slice of heaven. So why sell? You sell it/ have the money/ spend it and be just like all the others I know who miss there 3rd gens (moping around wishing they hadn't sold it). Car is well maintained and whoever gets it won't take near good of care as you. Just keep your car. Pretty sure you happiness is worth more than $2k. MINE IS!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 PM

i would say keep it, you molded that thing to what your mind wanted and not too many people would see it as beautiful as you do (im drooling over it though).

if you really dont want it anymore, you can always throw it on local ads or the odd ebay with a fair reserve and wait until someone will not lowball. really i would say keep it though, thats a work of art. unless you are desperate for money, keep it
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM

Its a piece of history. A LEGEND!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned

I would probably buy it for $1750.00 USD Cash. Cars are wasting assets and although those mods have a historical cost of that much, there's likely very little undepreciated capital cost you can argue for, unless you have the receipts to show the dates of the mods.

In other words, alot of those mods are likely depreciated to zero by now, so they add no material value to the asking price.

[By the way, not to downplay all the work you've put in, but keeping something to collect dust and just look at it, is the dumbest thing to do. You can recapture some of the loss by selling immediately, then buying oil or stocks and let those sit and collect dust. You would be far better off by the time you are an old man.]

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 07-17-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 AM

Between $3500 to $4000 max i would say
Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 AM

It's a great ride man, like everyone has stated. But NO ONE will appreciate what you've done to it but you... ONLY YOU know exactly what went into it, ONLY YOU know about all the blood, sweat, and tears that were shed for it... It's a custom ride, and it's customized to your specs, finding a buyer that wants (everything/has an appreciation for) that you've have done will be very close to impossible...

I'd say keep her... she's paid for 100% and it never hurts to have an extra set of wheels around...
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM

thats one reason why i didnt/wont sell mine anytime soon - its not worth much

the value of me owning the car, using it, and having a vehicle i still enjoy and is relatively unique - you dont see many of these cars out there in clean condition ... all this is more than having its value of cash in my hand. I dont like many new cars in its class out there today anyway, so a replacement car would be tough to decide on

if its not KILLING you to keep it, id do so unless youre in need of cash
Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Man it does look sweet. I bet you wish you had a time machine to go back and stop yourself from putting that much $ into it. I wouldn't want to drive it in the fear something could happen. Damn insurance would total it and give you the book.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 AM

My honest opinion,keep it too nice to give it up for a few $
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
mod or sell?

just give it to me. I'll let you have visitation rights.
at least then when you regret selling it you can get it back.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:12 PM

yeah ur not going to get much for it and it does look like u put alot of work into it id keep it that is some srs stuff right there
KEEP IT
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The car WOULD be a perfect candidate for a VLSD 5-speed swap and a turbo setup...
Old 07-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Way out West

The car is super clean and it's obvious you put a lot of love into it.

If you want something newer, I would suggest STOP MODDING the Maxima and start saving money toward what you want. Maybe even sell a few mods that are replaceable and just keep the car in really good condition. Garage it, cover it, drive it enough to keep things fresh.

As nice as that Max is, it should be extremely reliable. Just hold onto it as a backup car and if necessary a daily driver in the summer. Even though the car isn't worth much now, there might come a day when these are considered collectible and the potential value could increase. Even right now, you don't see that many of them on the road, especially those that are well cared for.

Look at cars like the Datsun 510. A clean, mostly stock 70 510 would likely sell for more than your Maxima. Back in 1988, I bought a rust-free, dent-free 2 door Datsun 510 for $200. It was 16 years old and didn't have much value at the time. It was practically considered "disposable" by most people. If I had that same car in the same condition I bought it right now, I could easily sell it for $4k+

Just so you know I am not lying:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...272402548.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...272189668.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...268828900.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1268781129.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1264665251.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/1262572355.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1270657433.html
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM

^^ Good point, heck, even if he doesn't de-mod it it's still applicable

My grandfather had a 510 all through the '80s that was modded in typical '80s fashion with the gold/mesh BBS wheels, etc. He ended up selling it in the very late '80s for pennies. If he didn't sell it and just kept it tucked away somewhere, that thing would be worth quite a bit now with the what would be now "retro" mods.

After he died a few years ago I did end up finding a bunch of goodies for the 510 new in boxes at his house. Cams, hi-po engine parts, etc. but it's not as fun without the 510 to go with it!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by James92SE
^^ Good point, heck, even if he doesn't de-mod it it's still applicable

My grandfather had a 510 all through the '80s that was modded in typical '80s fashion with the gold/mesh BBS wheels, etc. He ended up selling it in the very late '80s for pennies. If he didn't sell it and just kept it tucked away somewhere, that thing would be worth quite a bit now with the what would be now "retro" mods.

After he died a few years ago I did end up finding a bunch of goodies for the 510 new in boxes at his house. Cams, hi-po engine parts, etc. but it's not as fun without the 510 to go with it!
I know Jeff had one, too.

Mine was perfect, but it had a bad trans, that's why I got it for $200. Kind of like you can pick up a VE 5-speed with a bad trans for a few hundred bucks. Too bad a drunk driver hit me.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 AM

If I were you I would not sell the car!! It looks really great, hell if I had the money I would buy it from you!! Lots of people tell me that they want to buy my car, and how much would I sell it to them for. And I always tell them that its not for sale!! The only thing I did as far as cleaninig it up a bit was put a new paint job on it. Its got 220,000 miles and sounds very quiet and has been the most reliablie car that I have ever owned!! Even though the repairs are starting to pile up on me, I still would not sell it at this point, because they are minor. I had one guy told me that this model Maxima is the Last of the good ones he said. I'd keep it If I were you. I had one lady flag me down and asked if I wanted to sell my car, because she wrecked hers. I had to say no.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Keep it, man! It's not worth it to sell. Besides your kids or grandkids would probably love to have this car. At least keep it in the family, that way your investment won't go to waste!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM

what size rims are those on there. Im thinking about getting some 20's. But dont know if thats too large or not for this car.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
what size rims are those on there. Im thinking about getting some 20's. But dont know if thats too large or not for this car.
They look like 18's to me

20's are too big IMO..
Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM

i'm gonna guess theyre 17's. but i wouldnt go 20's, to me nothings a bigger turnoff than when people put 20"+ rims on cars, it just looks horrible and large enough ones are just transmission rapers
Old 07-19-2009, 01:58 AM

just use it as your winter car....(obviously kinding of course)

im keeping my two 3rd gens around and my 93 nissan pickup
although i keep it cheap and have had them for years
91 se 5+ years, less than $2200 into it
(SINCE recently got 900 for trunk\bumper\tailight+mount area damage)but spent 300 to fix it
92 se 3 years,less than $1700 into it
93 nissan vg 5 pickup ,traded my old 92 gxe for it(4.5 years,no repairs) i keep it cheap

Last edited by maximagician; 07-19-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:18 PM

sick a** max... I'd say just keep it!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
The car WOULD be a perfect candidate for a VLSD 5-speed swap and a turbo setup...
+1.

If my max was a 5-speed i know for sure id keep it for a long time. I havent seen a 3rd gen as clean as mine ANYWHERE in Columbus (maybe im not looking hard enough lol). And finding a 5-speed 3rd gen around here w/ decent miles and fairly clean is slim to none. Ive just came to the conclusion that ill save my money until next spring and upgrade to something better.

But your car is def. a keeper. I dont think anyone outside of the Nissan fan base would appreciate what you've done to that car like we all do.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
+1.

If my max was a 5-speed i know for sure id keep it for a long time. I havent seen a 3rd gen as clean as mine ANYWHERE in Columbus (maybe im not looking hard enough lol). And finding a 5-speed 3rd gen around here w/ decent miles and fairly clean is slim to none. Ive just came to the conclusion that ill save my money until next spring and upgrade to something better.

But your car is def. a keeper. I dont think anyone outside of the Nissan fan base would appreciate what you've done to that car like we all do.
Swaps really aren't that hard to do, you know...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by -ReLLiK-
+1.

i have a full 5spd swap setup for sale.....
Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 AM

I know you would win many car shows down here where im at with that car!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks maxinout93

I have only entered 3 shows here, 2 first and a 2nd. Problem is here they worship Corvettes and don't have many shows that even have a class for imports. You tend to get a lot of "who cares, all imports are crap" statements. Sitting on a parking lot for 5 hours isn't very fun for just a piece of plastic. Car shows bore me. I would rather drive and enjoy or just sit the back yard smoking a cigar.

Plus my job has me working 60-90 hours a week so my rare time off is better spent doing laundry and trying to relax and unwind.

Last edited by jonmandude; 07-21-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling, what should I ask