3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 07:38 AM

Turbo

This is my first post to MAXIMA.ORG. I am about to get started on a long awaited project. Here's my take on the situation. Number one DA-MAX if you get into low 13's N/A I'll be shocked. If you turbo a stock motor you are wasting time and $. I am building a daily driver, so acquiring a beat VG30 SOHC is #1, a few hundred$. As long as block, heads, crank are OK. The big $is the forged Al pistons/ rods. Get heads done right. Port/polish, multi angle valves.(optional, depends on wallet). Go with stock cams. too much overlap on aftermarket cams. Extrude hone intake passages. This is $ too but helps significantly. Keep in mind you can drive it NA while you line up the turbo parts. A few grand invested in the bottom end is well worth it. Mine will be done in 5 mo. Has anyone had a WarpSpeed Y-pipe leak at the collector or am I the lucky one. Now I have to get a big weld to seal the gap. Anyone know of a supplier of good valve gear or turbo cams, let me know. Please comment.

Peace
Old 11-27-2001, 08:15 AM

Number one DA-MAX if you get into low 13's N/A I'll be shocked
I don't believe DA-MAX would say that....
Old 11-27-2001, 08:57 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: Turbo

Originally posted by male
If you turbo a stock motor you are wasting time and $. I am building a daily driver, so acquiring a beat VG30 SOHC is #1, a few hundred$. As long as block, heads, crank are OK. The big $is the forged Al pistons/ rods. Get heads done right. Port/polish, multi angle valves.(optional, depends on wallet). Go with stock cams. too much overlap on aftermarket cams. Extrude hone intake passages. This is $ too but helps significantly. Keep in mind you can drive it NA while you line up the turbo parts.
Peace [/B]
So exactly how are we wasting time if we turbo a stock engine? the VG 30 con-rods and crank and block are the same in the Z31 turbo and the 3rd gen max.. thus the bottom end is more than strong enough. the only thing you'll really need to do is drop compression a bit, and that's only necessary if you're adding tons of boost. if you keep it mild, you should easily be able to get 250 on the ground with a stock engine and an intercooled T3... that's asusming you get correct fuel management parts too.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

das what Im talkin about !! you tell him matt93/ it seems to me he is doing more bragging and downing than educating.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Turbo

Number one DA-MAX if you get into low 13's N/A I'll be shocked.
hahaha, I wish! I'm aiming for low15's/high 14's N/A and mid 13's on nitrous.....but sheit, low 13's NA would be sweet, but WAAAAY TOOOOOOOO much ****ing work for my ***!! anyways welcome to the board, the turbo topic seems to be getting hot on here now a days, I hope we see more of them now that everyone is so interested in it!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

What's a turbo? Is that like the Tornado thingie??????
Old 11-27-2001, 10:16 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What's a turbo?

*evil grin* hmmmmm, you must be a newbie, I'll sell you my turbo, heres a pic, it bolts right up -->

made by TORO I think its a T60!
Old 11-27-2001, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
hmmmmm, you must be a newbie, I'll sell you my turbo, heres a pic, it bolts right up
made by TORO I think its a T60!
Here's my turbo. It was a bastard to get him in there, but he does the job nicely!!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Here's my turbo. It was a bastard to get him in there, but he does the job nicely!!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by max88q
das what Im talkin about !! you tell him matt93/ it seems to me he is doing more bragging and downing than educating.
I'm not downing or bragging, just looking to smoke some mustangs! I have a question. If I type a post , send it and the server is busy, does that message vanish? I think that just happened. Anyway, If you want to run some serious numbers, a strong bottom end with lots of boost is key. 15-20 psi. Ya know those potent Grand Nationals with the turbo 3.8. They run between 24-40 PSI!! That's what you need to make 400-700 ponies. And I believe it is possible with japanese technology. If Buick can.... So here is my goal. Reliable, powerful SOHC VG capable of 25 PSI, 400hp, 12 sec 1/4 mile. Now, will the chasis handle it?
Old 11-27-2001, 11:54 AM

i wouldn't use the VG driveline and here's why. althought it will be easier to turbo, the tranny (if it's even a 5 spd) does not have an LSD. My VE came with a viscous (sp?) lsd. . . that should help. the good thing about the VE is the useable parts off the Z. Right now i'm involved in a TT VE motor using two Saab 900S turbos and intercoolers. my biggest problem right now is compression and fuel requirements.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:57 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by flyry110
i wouldn't use the VG driveline
well it hasn't been a prob for the few that have already done the VG-t swap or VG turbo conversion so I guess the added torque steer isn't that much of a big deal! but yeah VSLD should help out, Czar should be able to viuch for that I guess...
Old 11-27-2001, 12:03 PM

i wouldn't use the VG driveline and here's why. althought it will be easier to turbo, the tranny (if it's even a 5 spd) does not have an LSD. My VE came with a viscous (sp?) lsd. . . that should help. the good thing about the VE is the useable parts off the Z. Right now i'm involved in a TT VE motor using two Saab 900S turbos and intercoolers. my biggest problem right now is compression and fuel requirements.
Your right about the LSD. Do you think the LSD from a VE 5-spd will fit in my tranny? They can't be that different as they have basically the same block. If not, when $$ is no object, I'll swap trannies. Either way, I like the SOHC reliability. Half the number of head parts to break! Are you building this TT into Maxima? That sounds pretty sweet. I said this before and got **itched at, but if you want to run serious power, it's better to build a turbo specific motor. Drop compression down to 8:1 or 8.5:1 and pump up the pressure. No sense in having two turbos if you can only boost 8psi safely.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

24-40 PSI? haha. Good luck.

Buick has iron block/heads = very strong.

Nissan: Iron block alum heads = not as strong. Plus if you think the stock VG internals (not to mention electronics/fuel system etc) is even remotely close to being up to task, you are in for a cold awakening.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:15 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I'm not downing or bragging, just looking to smoke some mustangs! I have a question. If I type a post , send it and the server is busy, does that message vanish? I think that just happened. Anyway, If you want to run some serious numbers, a strong bottom end with lots of boost is key. 15-20 psi. Ya know those potent Grand Nationals with the turbo 3.8. They run between 24-40 PSI!! That's what you need to make 400-700 ponies. And I believe it is possible with japanese technology. If Buick can.... So here is my goal. Reliable, powerful SOHC VG capable of 25 PSI, 400hp, 12 sec 1/4 mile. Now, will the chasis handle it?
25psi?!!?
i'll listen for the boom when u WOT the 1st time.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:22 PM

24-40 PSI? haha. Good luck.

Buick has iron block/heads = very strong.

Nissan: Iron block alum heads = not as strong. Plus if you think the stock VG internals (not to mention electronics/fuel system etc) is even remotely close to being up to task, you are in for a cold awakening.

Obviously I will be running a forged bottom end at 8:1 compression. JWT will handle the ECU. Fuel wil be via 300z TT injectors and an in-line fuel pump (not fancy, but it works.) I wasn't considering 40 psi, more like 12-15 to start. That was simply an example of the potential of properly built turbo powerplants.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

25psi?!!?
i'll listen for the boom when u WOT the 1st time.
Why? Don't you think forged pistons and rods all balanced will hold? If strong head gaskets are used and good fastenters, the weak link is what? Don't think I would be driving at 25 psi all the time. I will of course start at 12-15 to see.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

Which forged pistons? High or low silicone content? Which headgaskets? Are copper ones available for the VG engine?

Why? Don't you think forged pistons and rods all balanced will hold? If strong head gaskets are used and good fastenters, the weak link is what? Don't think I would be driving at 25 psi all the time. I will of course start at 12-15 to see.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:34 PM

I said this before and got **itched at

My bad man, we just get alot of ppl who come in here thinking they know everything about the maxima and posting being cocky!! My bad if I prejudged you as that type , my apologies.... my bad!
Old 11-27-2001, 12:43 PM

Which forged pistons? High or low silicone content? Which headgaskets? Are copper ones available for the VG engine?

All very good questions my friend. These all depend on availability. As you know, aftermarket support is a tad lacking is this niche of enthusiasts. That is why I started posting here, to get enough info to build a bad a$$ Max. So what do you suggest. JWT offers pistons and rods, but the never specified silicon content. I believe these pistons are manufactured by JE. Rods, I don't know who makes 'em. Head gaskets are likely made for the VG-T engine, so I will look in that direction.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by max88q

My bad man, we just get alot of ppl who come in here thinking they know everything about the maxima and posting being cocky!! My bad if I prejudged you as that type , my apologies.... my bad!
No problem man. I don't claim to know much. But i hope to learn from the people on this board, and maybe help a few out with what I know. So lets keep it real and hopefully I will be posting pics of my turbo 89 in the near future.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:17 PM
STFU n00b!

One thing I've heard is that the VE and Vg 5 spd tranny cases are the same, so a LSD from a VE tranny SHOULD drop right in.

Of course, that's just talk I've heard on he board and doesn't mean anything when it comes to putting the parts together. it may be true, it may not.
but if you're planning on running 25psi, you're DEFINITELY going to need a tougher tranny and axles. even a 5 spd tranny is only good for 300hp, max. anything over that and you'll start self-destructing the gears and bearings in no time.. Then there's the clutch.. ACT makes the 4 and 6 puck clutches. should work very well in that case.

but you're basically SOL on the axles, as far as I know. I haven't heard of anyone that makes stronger axles for a Max. a few sentra parts (which also use the VG auto tranny), but nothing for us specifically.

Might want to give Level10 a call and see what they can do. let JWT worry about the engine stuff, and Level10 can bulletproof the tranny. then just bolt it all in and reinforce your engine bay. you'll need an explosion proof firewall, and I recommend a good pair of Nomex underwear.

Also another easy thing to fix are the stock engine/tranny mounts. you'll need to replace them with solid urethane mounts, otherwise the engine will rip right out of there and leave itself twisting on the ground.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:19 PM

This post should get really good. Ahahahahahaha!
Old 11-27-2001, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
One thing I've heard is that the VE and Vg 5 spd tranny cases are the same, so a LSD from a VE tranny SHOULD drop right in....

Of course, that's just talk I've heard on he board and doesn't mean anything when it comes to putting the parts together. it may be true, it may not.
but if you're planning on running 25psi, you're DEFINITELY going to need a tougher tranny and axles. even a 5 spd tranny is only good for 300hp, max. anything over that and you'll start self-destructing the gears and bearings in no time.. Then there's the clutch.. ACT makes the 4 and 6 puck clutches. should work very well in that case.

but you're basically SOL on the axles, as far as I know. I haven't heard of anyone that makes stronger axles for a Max. a few sentra parts (which also use the VG auto tranny), but nothing for us specifically.

Might want to give Level10 a call and see what they can do. let JWT worry about the engine stuff, and Level10 can bulletproof the tranny. then just bolt it all in and reinforce your engine bay. you'll need an explosion proof firewall, and I recommend a good pair of Nomex underwear.

Thanks for the tips. This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for...Some Knowlege! Much apprectiated. Oh yeah, Nomex undies are on the way..

Also another easy thing to fix are the stock engine/tranny mounts. you'll need to replace them with solid urethane mounts, otherwise the engine will rip right out of there and leave itself twisting on the ground.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:02 PM

Something stupid happened on my last response to Matt93SE. My message is in there, read close.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:25 PM

you need to do more research before you even think about building a turbo motor. there is so much you are leaving out its not even funny.

first off. the stock 300zx fuel system is only good for 15 psi on the stock fuel pump and injectors. and thats damn near maxing them out

two. drive line. you will blow up clutches. its a given

three. if you're going to build the bottom end. you forgot a whole bunch of crap.. rod bearing size, crank balance and shaved amount. cam profiles. valve sizes, valve spring rates, cfm of the turbo in relation to the ability of the heads to flow. the turbo you plan on using, what cfm is it at 15 psi. what intercooler? what cfm and psi drop is the intercooler?

i could go on and on, but there is sooooooooooo much to building a turbo motor its not even funny. besides 15psi is ***** crap if you are going to build the motor.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Bryan H
you need to do more research before you even think about building a turbo motor. there is so much you are leaving out its not even funny.

first off. the stock 300zx fuel system is only good for 15 psi on the stock fuel pump and injectors. and thats damn near maxing them out

two. drive line. you will blow up clutches. its a given

three. if you're going to build the bottom end. you forgot a whole bunch of crap.. rod bearing size, crank balance and shaved amount. cam profiles. valve sizes, valve spring rates, cfm of the turbo in relation to the ability of the heads to flow. the turbo you plan on using, what cfm is it at 15 psi. what intercooler? what cfm and psi drop is the intercooler?

Injectors: Bigger injectors? Must find who makes 'em, if any.
Clutch: I anticipate toasting plenty, but that is to be expected
Bottom End: Isn't rod bearing size a pretty standard thing? If the crank throw journals need machining, then the proper bearings must be selected to provide a gap within spec. Same w/ the crank. If it's balanced it's balanced. Unless I want to lighten it, which I won't.
Cams: Start w/ stock cams for their minimal overlap. Plus, they are pretty expensive. JWT are all I know right now.
Heads and Valve train: I have been pursuing info on perf. valves, springs etc. No luck yet. Know any? regardless, heads will be ported and polished .
Intercooler will be an experiment. I'll try factory pieces first then see where it takes me.

My goal here is to seek a good balance of power, reliability and economy. I will build strong NA motor using proper machining techniques, port heads to allow good flows without totally killing low end torque. Then I will gather the basic turbo parts and work from a reference point. Start simple, with mostly stock VG-T parts and upgrade as necessary. I am hunting down 300z enthusiasts. They will be my best source aside from this board. Thanks for the tips. The whole reason I started w/ Maxima.org was to get input from guys like you. Thanks!
I could go on and on, but there is sooooooooooo much to building a turbo motor its not even funny. besides 15psi is ***** crap if you are going to build the motor.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:30 AM

Damn! I did it again. My message is in there, just has a tad of your last post at the end on mine. Is it obvious I'm new here? Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah building a engine for high performance na duty is different than building an engine for high performance boosted duty.

Honest opinion? I think you should inlist the help of a qualified machine shop and engine builder. From the questions you have, it's pretty clear than you lack the proper experience and know how to do this right.

It may seem expensive upfront, but it will save you from building a $2000 paperweight.

Damn, as a moderator, I have to be nice so there you go.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Honest opinion? I think you should inlist the help of a qualified machine shop and engine builder.
That's probably a good idea. Try to enlist the expertise of a turbo shop or something. I don't know a lot about specifics for turbo engines, but won't you be spending a lot of time tuning the fuel and ignition? A hardcore pro shop with an engine dyno and lots of testing equipment can probably cut this time down but might be expensive.

Czar had enough problems with his mild DIY turbo project, but an engine seriously boosted enough to warrant using forged parts probably should be done very very carefully - espcecially if you are going "where no man has gone before".

This also sounds like an expensive project, so a few things came to mind. I don't know how our modern Japanese engines compare to old V8s, but isn't it a good idea to get the engine blueprinted? (Anyone?) Also you might want to think about getting a set of headers custom-built while you're at it.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2001, 09:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Please do not say that.

Originally posted by Bman

Czar had enough problems with his mild DIY turbo project, but an engine seriously boosted enough to warrant using forged parts probably should be done very very carefully - espcecially if you are going "where no man has gone before".

Old 11-28-2001, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Bman

Also you might want to think about getting a set of headers custom-built while you're at it.

Good luck!
i'm havin custom manifolds done, and it's expensive. stupid Z manifolds won't fit. anyone know if i can hone out the manifolds to line up with my heads? just an idea.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:32 PM

This is exactly the type of post I have been looking to read... Keep it going guys....
Old 11-28-2001, 09:24 PM

Zcar.com

You say you need to talk with 300zx fanatics, try one of these links:

www.zcar.com

www.hybridz.com

www.zdriver.com

www.z31.org

www.z31.com

www.z32.org

The last one is the second gen 300zx so I am not sure if they use the VG or if they have a different motor. And the first one has all the Z's from 1970-2003. But anyways have fun.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Zcar.com

Originally posted by THAWABUTT
You say you need to talk with 300zx fanatics, try one of these links:

www.zcar.com
I highly suggest zcar.com .....the archives are a great source for info, been using it a lot lately, good info for N/A VG build-up guys too, so I know theres plenty VG-t info in there as well!
Old 11-29-2001, 09:06 AM

i'm havin custom manifolds done, and it's expensive. stupid Z manifolds won't fit. anyone know if i can hone out the manifolds to line up with my heads? just an idea.
Do you mean the Turbo manifold or NA? Are the NA Z manifolds cast? If they are, you can more than likely port match them to your heads. Oh, are you talking VG or VE?
Old 11-29-2001, 09:36 AM

Stop waisting time

Stop waisting time and get a 300ZX do a fairlady Z conversion drop A T7 in there and ur set.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:41 PM

Please do not say that.

Old 11-29-2001, 04:54 PM

Re: Stop waisting time

Originally posted by Maximum5spd
Stop waisting time and get a 300ZX do a fairlady Z conversion drop A T7 in there and ur set.
Sounds good, but people expect Z cars to be fast. I want a true sleeper, like a Geo Metro with 350 chevy. Just kidding. I do love the Z cars, especially the Datsun 240Z. That is my next project, after i get my Maxima to a worthy state of tune. This will be my daily driver. Then i can take on a full race 240! Now if I only had one of those money trees...
Old 11-30-2001, 03:03 PM

This pace will make the axles for you , but the will cost a lot.

http://www.cvaxle-cvjoint-rackpinion...om/index2.ivnu

Quick Reply: Turbo