3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Blown

Muffler question

I currently have a custom 2 1/4" cat back on my 92 SE. My full exhaust set up is stock manifolds->Warpspeed Y pipe->Catco high flow cat-> 22" mangaflow resinator-> Custom 2 1/4" B pipe-> Magnaflow straight though dual tip muffler. It sounds fine, but I guess I am getting too old....it's too loud for me

I have been looking at getting a dynomax super turbo muffler, but it looks like they do not have many dual tip options, I am also having a hard time finding one that is center in and center out. I would like to find something that is center in and center out because I want the muffler to fit in the stock location since I do have a still kit and will be putting it on in the future so I would like the muffler to be centered in the "cut out".

I have been happy with my dynomax on my jeep, it give is a rumble but is not really that loud. I am open to suggestions but I need something quieter. I see that Thrush is made by dynomax/walker and they offer a super turbo muffler. Anyone have experience with these?

Any input is welcome.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 AM

I picked up a Bosal unit, which is a welded assy including resonator, b-pipe and muffler (dual outlet) from drivewire.com for $130.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Blown

I have heard bosal/pacesetter stuff before and it sounds pretty good, but their quality has always been an issue on their exahust stuff. Do you have any sound clips or pics you could post?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Best option would be to see if you can find a Greddy catback somewhere. At idle it's just a little bit louder than stock, and under normal driving conditions it's pretty darn quiet too. At WOT it sounds great
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM

I'll try to get some pics tonight. Mine is actually Bosal oem style system from manifolds back. f-pipe/cat/resonated b-pipe/muffler.

edit-'91 SE 5spd vg engine.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by James92SE
Best option would be to see if you can find a Greddy catback somewhere. At idle it's just a little bit louder than stock, and under normal driving conditions it's pretty darn quiet too. At WOT it sounds great

I would love to pick up a Greddy. I have that on my 98, my favorite exhaust by far, but they are hard to find for the third gen, and I am not looking to put $500 more into my exhaust the the compontents I have now are brand new.

I am only looking for a muffler. So that's really what I want advice/opinons on. Not a full cat back.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24
I would love to pick up a Greddy. I have that on my 98, my favorite exhaust by far, but they are hard to find for the third gen, and I am not looking to put $500 more into my exhaust the the compontents I have now are brand new.

I am only looking for a muffler. So that's really what I want advice/opinons on. Not a full cat back.
Why not go with 2000-2001 SE muffler? Some modification is needed obviously but it should quiet you down some if thats what you're looking for.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by All*Pro
Why not go with 2000-2001 SE muffler? Some modification is needed obviously but it should quiet you down some if thats what you're looking for.
I am tying to do something that is a pain I realize that. I want something that is louder than stock at idle and at WOT but not much louder than stock when cruising. So I want a higher flowing muffer than stock, but not one that drones. The thing that my current muffler does that annoys me is that it does not drone at 2.5k rmp when just cruising but if you give it ~50% throttle it get really loud and you are really not moving any where quickly.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by cardana24
I am tying to do something that is a pain I realize that. I want something that is louder than stock at idle and at WOT but not much louder than stock when cruising. So I want a higher flowing muffer than stock, but not one that drones. The thing that my current muffler does that annoys me is that it does not drone at 2.5k rmp when just cruising but if you give it ~50% throttle it get really loud and you are really not moving any where quickly.
get an exhaust cutout and somehow wire/rig it so that it opens up a TINY bit at idle, slowly closes from 0-5% throttle, stays closed from 5-15% throttle, and slowly opens as you approach WOT.

tho that would require quite a high level of electrical abilities....
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
get an exhaust cutout and somehow wire/rig it so that it opens up a TINY bit at idle, slowly closes from 0-5% throttle, stays closed from 5-15% throttle, and slowly opens as you approach WOT.

tho that would require quite a high level of electrical abilities....
hahhahha.....no
Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Blown

http://www.eraceware.com/dynomax-177...l-o-62415.html

I just ordered this ^^ mufller from amazon. It's a bit long but when I took measurements last night I do not think it will be so long that it hits the rear sway bar. Its sold as a replacement for a V8 chevy truck. So normally it would be positioned under the center of the car and then the pipes would branch off to give the truck a dual exaust look. I am hoping that I can put my factory exhaust tip finishers on and it will look good, I am just worried that the exit pipes will be a little bit too far apart to get the look that I want (close to stock), so I may have to get a little bit bigger tips. I'll post back once I have gotten the muffler in and welded on.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM

http://www.bosalna.com/index.php?mod=catalog

This is the Bosal #291-229 I got. I think that chevy muffler tips are too far apart for the bumper cutout.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
http://www.bosalna.com/index.php?mod=catalog

This is the Bosal #291-229 I got. I think that chevy muffler tips are too far apart for the bumper cutout.

They may be. I will know next week hopefully
Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

The main problem with 3rd gen mufflers is that the entrance really needs to be higher up on the case, while the tips/exit need to be lower on the case. Otherwise, it ends up making the muffler basically point downwards and it looks retarded.

I guess with the Stillen lip kit it hides it, but still, that's my main complaint with aftermarket/universal mufflers on the 3rd gen (and one reason why the Greddy looks so good on it)
Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 AM

I'm sure that Magnaflow muffler is only a 14"er, So there are several center to center mufflers that have 18" or larger cases and Borla is one of them. The Dynomax Super Turbo is only available in an offset configuration( It's a reverse flow muffler). But they're really a good sounding muffler! 5th gen muffler from Bosal at Napa all day! I'm pretty sure any decent exhaust tech can handle this mod for with ease! Or check th junk yards for a G35 muffler, I30/I35/01 AE Max or regular Max/ bosal Oem replacement muffler...(less than $100).