3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

getting another VeeGee tomorrow (plus another addition to teh family)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

getting another VeeGee tomorrow (plus another addition to teh family)

First the 'other' addition. So today my brother, after a week of hassling w/ lendors, got a much fresher car to replace his limp-wristed nutless 2.2L a/t Camry......

2005 SE. 100.5k miles, 6spd. Not a bad deal at $10k.

As for the new VG........

85 n/a 2-seater with a broken t-belt for $350+towing. But since matt wrecked the 89SE i had..... i have spare motor just sitting, waiting to be installed. a few other odds and ends don't work (horn, reverse lights, windshield washer, front struts) but for that price how could i NOT buy it? Hopefully my 3Gen will behave long enough for me to get the Z up to par for DD usage.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

needs a 5-lug conversion...

leather seats are in pretty nice condition, implying the t-tops don't leak.
mebe u swap flywheel/clutch from the maxi into the z, yes?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Fox Body FTW

nice
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
needs a 5-lug conversion...

leather seats are in pretty nice condition, implying the t-tops don't leak.
mebe u swap flywheel/clutch from the maxi into the z, yes?
flywheel is not a swappable item... not sure if the clutch is or not. and there's a 86 2-seater at the JY that i'm gonna get the 5lug hubs from.... i guess i'll just swap the entire rear control arm and front knuckle... that will be easiest, instead of pulling the hubs out and whatnot.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

why no swap for the flywheel? different starter?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

why no swap for the flywheel? different starter?
either that or the offset away from the crank is different. more than likely it's the starter teeth tho.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

well, you may compare the stock one off of matt's car, when you swap engines... if you didn't toss it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well, you may compare the stock one off of matt's car, when you swap engines... if you didn't toss it.
the stock flywheel from the 89SE is on my car now... i am not using the fidanza anymore. i'll probably just use the flywheel and clutch that's already on the Z when i get it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
the stock flywheel from the 89SE is on my car now... i am not using the fidanza anymore. i'll probably just use the flywheel and clutch that's already on the Z when i get it.

you, sir, are a
Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

you, sir, are a
hay......... how so? i never actually liked the feel of the fidanza anyways. i guess i was just too lazy of a driver to deal with the finesse required to drive with a light flywheel (tho you always have to drive with finesse when you have busted a$$ mounts like I still do)

but i mean... i'm just trying to get the car running within a month or so. not terribly worried about the details (other than the front struts which are 110% dead)
Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 PM

nice find....swap RB25DET in the Z...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Dang, those seats are in flawless condition! Body looks super straight too, could just nearly do a straight scuff and respray!

Are you going to now neglect your 3rd gen?

Also, trade me your brother's wheels? I like those better than my SL wheels
Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
nice find....swap RB25DET in the Z...
inline 6 would put too much weight over the front axle... and would thus mess up the weight balance of the car. depending how long i keep it i might do a vq35 w/ 6spd swap tho.

Originally Posted by James92SE
Dang, those seats are in flawless condition! Body looks super straight too, could just nearly do a straight scuff and respray!

Are you going to now neglect your 3rd gen?

Also, trade me your brother's wheels? I like those better than my SL wheels
wellll there is some rust on the trunklid. i didn't see any on the suspension components or strut towers tho. so i might need that cut out and a little fresh metal welded in and smoothed out before it's ready for paint. and if/when i paint it, it's gonna be white or pearl white..... kinda like a Shiro Special (except those were only the 97-89 style in real life)

depending how reliable the z is, i dunno if the max will be around too much longer or not... due to the fact that we live in an apartment and only have a fixed number of parking spots, plus paying insurance on 2 cars if i'm only really driving 1. Now that my bro knows how to drive a manual, if I need to carry 4 people then I can just borrow his 6gen, and he can use my z to get to work that day.... as long as he remembers NOT to try and use a nonexistent 6th gear!

see the issue with my maxima is that it would cost more than the value of itself AND the z combined to get it decent again. despite all the work i've done, my car really lets me down. the alignment is STILL way off (my brother even said it felt way off.. and he knows NOTHING about cars), the rear struts are so soft that i lift the cross-side front tire on hard cornering, the tranny leaks (tried to fix it... failed), the engine leaks oil, got the wrong type of fuel injectors, the shifter is kinda ghetto and rattles, something in the rear hub/brakes makes a godawful rubbing sound when i back up w/ the wheel turned at slow speeds, egr tube has an exhaust leak, interior has some stains and broken bits, handbrake has alot of slack which i already adjusted once, one of the ebrake bolts broke so the handle is only held on by 1 bolt, paint is awful, etc etc. If someone REALLY REALLY wants to tackle all that and do it right....... fine, but for the price of the car + repairs anyone would be better off getting a really nice bonestock 3rd gen and starting from scratch, instead of trying to play catch-up with mine.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:06 AM
+Cru OG

The interior is in better condition than Matt's car.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 AM

inline 6 would put too much weight over the front axle... and would thus mess up the weight balance of the car. depending how long i keep it i might do a vq35 w/ 6spd swap tho.
RB>VQ

and 4th gen vs VG failz pt.2
Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Clean car - and it's already the right color for a race car - red!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 AM

what?! caped i cant belive what i'm hearing.
i've had my car for about a year so far all she need s is an inner tie-rod, and possibly exhuast studs.

but belive it or not...i still plan on keeping that car when there's a 91' infiniti q45 in perfect running shape i'm not gonna take.

but the z looks nice.
hell your 3rd gen looks nice.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 AM

nice find! +1 on seats too.
Does it have a digital dash? They have the same electrical issues that maximas do. I had a couple of these back in the day (84 & 85). You might want to check into the injector leak recall. I think you can get them fixed free at the dealer and they can check the vin to see if its already been done.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
The interior is in better condition than Matt's car.
actually right after we left CP on saturday we went to the JY and got him some manual cloth seats to replace his fuktup power leather-flake ones... it's alot more comfortable to sit in now. Plus i was finally able to drive it too since i'm way shorter'n him.

Originally Posted by Crusher103
RB>VQ

i KNOW inline6 engines are torquier and whatnot... but handling is more of a priority for me than sheer speed. If it were a drag-only car, then I might consider an RB motor, but the front wheels just aren't far enough away from the firewall for me to put a RB in it without at least 3 cylinders extending beyond the front axle. Now a 240z or BMW z3 on the otherhand.. their front wheels are WAAAAAAAAAY out in front of the firewall, so an inline6 would be, and is the motor of choice for them.

240z
z31

Originally Posted by nalc
Clean car - and it's already the right color for a race car - red!
haha.. i won't have it red for long tho. it's a cop-target color. I'm gonna have it repainted white if i think the body is on good enough shape to keep the car long-term. The Shiro Specials are SOOOOO beautiful so i'd actually like pearl-white, but plain white will do as well. I'mma need a spare car before painting it tho (well unless my bro holds onto his camry for a while) cuz i'm gonna strip it bare so they can paint all the surfaces instead of just the exterior. I do need to fix a few rust spots on the hatch lid, and pound out a dent on the roof before it gets paint tho. Wanna black out that chrome trim too.

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
what?! caped i cant belive what i'm hearing.
i've had my car for about a year so far all she need s is an inner tie-rod, and possibly exhuast studs.

but belive it or not...i still plan on keeping that car when there's a 91' infiniti q45 in perfect running shape i'm not gonna take.

but the z looks nice.
hell your 3rd gen looks nice.
heh, the paint on my Maxima isn't all that great actually, but from far away it's hard to tell that. but the suspension problems my car has would cost at LEAST $1000 to fix... not to mention the other issues with the car (for example getting 6 of the RIGHT kind of fuel injectors = $650... new windshield = $???). But my maxima darts around VIOLENTLY over ANY bump. It's as though there is a very strong electric motor that is randomly trying to turn the wheel right out of my hands... sometimes the wheel will flip as much as 90* to either side over a bump in the road, and has on occasion forced me into another lane when i was perfectly happy with the lane i was in (thankfully nobody was in that lane or else i'd have had a wreck to deal with). Part of this is the rear struts, because i can literally feel the bump being amplified and rippling across the chassis as a WAVE of energy, causing the car to pitch back and forth. Part of it is probably my front alignment which PepBoys didn't think was important to tell me that they were not able to line up properly.... i'm 95% sure I have positive camber on both front wheels, so the car "falls" into any pitch in the road.

The whole situation with the Maxima is very frustrating. I planned on keeping it forever but i can't afford to insure, mod, and maintain 2 cars, so if i'm going to be putting money into a car then it really needed to be RWD for me to feel like it was going toward a worthy cause. If I made $50k a year and had a garage or something to keep the Maxima in, I'd keep it, and work on fixing the suspension and stuff. But I live in a crowded apartment complex with barely enough parking spots for everyone to even have one car-per-person. Sad reality of life sometimes.

Originally Posted by marke
nice find! +1 on seats too.
Does it have a digital dash? They have the same electrical issues that maximas do. I had a couple of these back in the day (84 & 85). You might want to check into the injector leak recall. I think you can get them fixed free at the dealer and they can check the vin to see if its already been done.
Thanks. Recall hasn't been done yet. Matt's 87 NA 2+2 (what inspired me to get a z31) already had it done about a week after he got it.... the dealership forgot to tighten a fuel hose clamp on the high-pressure hose and fuel was SPRAYING all over his exhaust manifold when he left... damn near caught on fire. So we're not going to that dealer to get it done......

but it's got its fair share of electrical problems that i'll have to sort out as time goes on. reverse lights don't work. dash backlighting doesn't work. roof light works in "ON" but not in "Door"... yet the marker bulbs on both doors light up fine so i know the door-open switches are fine. windshield washer pump doesn't run. rear defroster may or may not work. Horn doesn't work.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-08-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:07 PM

u can solve all handling problems by dipping into the throttle a little more
Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

u can solve all handling problems by dipping into the throttle a little more
ntrly. besides my car's curb weight is like 2880 right now..... with a vq35 it would be like 2650, so a vq35 would be plenty powerful enough even without bolt-ons.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
+Cru OG

I think I want one of those. Not a manual though.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM

2650 is optimistic some where in the 2700s sounds right, have u looked into the tranny yet? U will have to get a 350Z 6spd or adapter plate else no go, If u use a Z33 6spd u have to think about what u are going to do about the drive shaft
Old 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
I think I want one of those. Not a manual though.
Fail.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
+Cru OG

2650 is optimistic some where in the 2700s sounds right, have u looked into the tranny yet? U will have to get a 350Z 6spd or adapter plate else no go, If u use a Z33 6spd u have to think about what u are going to do about the drive shaft
The car's not even on the road yet and you're already talking about him spending big money on **** he doesn't even need yet.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
+Cru OG

Fail.
Just because I don't share your enthusiasm for the **** stick, it doesn't automatically fail.

My working A/C more than makes up for it.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well... based on the difference in weight from just the VG30 vs the VQ35 it's like 200lb difference..... so that would be 2680 then. unless the z33 6spd trans (which i was planning on using anyhow) is just THAT much heavier.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 PM

RB>VQ

its changed!! haha

Last edited by 96nismoSE; 08-09-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 96nismoSE
cliffs?
:matt93se: this isn't OT......

besides DanNY's a 3rd gen owner so he's in this section pretty often....
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 PM

oh hai!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Good Luck and looking forward for that.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 PM

Bah, just keep the/a 3rd gen. My new VE costs me $22 a month to insure with Progressive
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Bah, just keep the/a 3rd gen. My new VE costs me $22 a month to insure with Progressive
parking, regular maintainence, and the $2K+ needed to fix the suspension, injectors, oil/trans leaks, and windshield (and new tires soon) are also a big factor too. My insurance is $320/6mo for either the Max OR the Z right now (got a quote for the z before buying it), since i'm only doing liability. And given the choice of where to spend that $2k..... as a single 21-year-old.. it'd have to be the Sports car, not the Family car. And knowing the problems that the car has (moreso the suspension than anything else) i wouldn't feel right letting someone else drive the car without at least replacing the struts and fixing the front camber (which might actually be a product of the collapsed rear struts dipping the rear and lifting the nose of the car... since nose-lift makes the camber go positive) cuz even I am afraid i'm gonna get in a wreck everytime i hit a dip or bump in the road.. or even a lane-marker reflector thingy.. it's that sensitive. I was thinking of putting some coil spring boosters to lift the rear of the car up by about 2" (i have literally zero wheel gap in the rear with a totally un-laden car) to see if that puts some weight back to the front and even causes the front suspension to compress a little bit more.

Don't get me wrong.... If it weren't for the problems with my car I would be keeping it, and just either park it at my grandparents house or in an overflow parking lot or something. I just can't justify the expenses involved in fixing it since the Z will be my daily driver. I kinda wish it were in better shape since old cars tend to have problems... so if the Z blew the ignition coil or fuel pump or something, i'd have a spare car ready to go. I dunno... I stil have a month or two before i have to actually make any final decisions about anything, plus you guys have that long to decide if anyone wants to buy it and fix it, or buy parts from it, or whatever.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-09-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:21 AM

well... based on the difference in weight from just the VG30 vs the VQ35 it's like 200lb difference..... so that would be 2680 then. unless the z33 6spd trans (which i was planning on using anyhow) is just THAT much heavier.
The Z33 tranny is suppose to put up with alot more torque then the standard Z31 tranny, so it most def. has beefier internals, its also longer and wider than the Z31 tranny u might have some modifications to do to the floor pan inorder to get it to fit correctly. and nissan didnt use advanced superlight materials in that thing so its going to be heavy
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Congrats on your find Wookie (I waited to call you that). I can't wait to see your project come to life.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM
mod or sell?

parking, regular maintainence, and the $2K+ needed to fix the suspension, injectors, oil/trans leaks, and windshield (and new tires soon) are also a big factor too. My insurance is $320/6mo for either the Max OR the Z right now (got a quote for the z before buying it), since i'm only doing liability. And given the choice of where to spend that $2k..... as a single 21-year-old.. it'd have to be the Sports car, not the Family car. And knowing the problems that the car has (moreso the suspension than anything else) i wouldn't feel right letting someone else drive the car without at least replacing the struts and fixing the front camber (which might actually be a product of the collapsed rear struts dipping the rear and lifting the nose of the car... since nose-lift makes the camber go positive) cuz even I am afraid i'm gonna get in a wreck everytime i hit a dip or bump in the road.. or even a lane-marker reflector thingy.. it's that sensitive. I was thinking of putting some coil spring boosters to lift the rear of the car up by about 2" (i have literally zero wheel gap in the rear with a totally un-laden car) to see if that puts some weight back to the front and even causes the front suspension to compress a little bit more.

Don't get me wrong.... If it weren't for the problems with my car I would be keeping it, and just either park it at my grandparents house or in an overflow parking lot or something. I just can't justify the expenses involved in fixing it since the Z will be my daily driver. I kinda wish it were in better shape since old cars tend to have problems... so if the Z blew the ignition coil or fuel pump or something, i'd have a spare car ready to go. I dunno... I stil have a month or two before i have to actually make any final decisions about anything, plus you guys have that long to decide if anyone wants to buy it and fix it, or buy parts from it, or whatever.
you could always park it somewhere and just not insure it until you need to drive it.
I know someone who toggles insurance back and forth between cars depending on which one is being driven (not me). I am currently insuring 4 vehicles. 2 of which are not being driven (1 bad alternator, 1 no plates)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you could always park it somewhere and just not insure it until you need to drive it.
I know someone who toggles insurance back and forth between cars depending on which one is being driven (not me). I am currently insuring 4 vehicles. 2 of which are not being driven (1 bad alternator, 1 no plates)
but i'm not willing to spend all the $$$$$$$ to make the car roadworthy again anyways.... And I'm going to be pretty thorough with the Z. I COULD have the thing on the road in 2 days but i'm going to actually make sure that everything is in good shape before putting it on the road. Like the front struts, the steering rack (which i think is leaking), and the fuel hoses and taillights (adding CHMSL even tho it's not required for a '85)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
That's exactly what my brother does
Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
mod or sell?

but i'm not willing to spend all the $$$$$$$ to make the car roadworthy again anyways.... And I'm going to be pretty thorough with the Z. I COULD have the thing on the road in 2 days but i'm going to actually make sure that everything is in good shape before putting it on the road. Like the front struts, the steering rack (which i think is leaking), and the fuel hoses and taillights (adding CHMSL even tho it's not required for a '85)
so you know eventually you would fix everything. it costs nothing to park it most of the time.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
mod or sell?

That's exactly what my brother does
which?
insuring 4 cars or toggling insurance?

Quick Reply: getting another VeeGee tomorrow (plus another addition to teh family)