3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car stalls after running, then wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Car stalls after running, then wont start

The title says it all. Heres the problem:

I have a 92 max, dohc 5 spd. The car starts up great and runs for...eh...5 minutes give or take, then dies. Now this car is my project car so it doesn't get run much. I started it up 2 days ago, it ran for the 5 minutes, i went to put more gas in it, took the gas cap off and it stalled. I put the gas in, put cap on, went to start it and got nothing. Tryed it a few more times with no luck. The next day i tryed it again and it started right up. Moved it around the driveway, let it run, i open the hood and it stalls. It wont start back up.

My dad and brother just say the car doesn't like me.

So we've been having some hot days up here in pennsylvania. My dad thinks the car has a weak fuel pump. I think the heat heats up the gas causing it to pressurize the fuel line and when the fuel in the fuel line runs out the car stalls. We don't have a fuel pressure meter to check

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jruss1601
The title says it all. Heres the problem:

I have a 92 max, dohc 5 spd. The car starts up great and runs for...eh...5 minutes give or take, then dies. Now this car is my project car so it doesn't get run much. I started it up 2 days ago, it ran for the 5 minutes, i went to put more gas in it, took the gas cap off and it stalled. I put the gas in, put cap on, went to start it and got nothing. Tryed it a few more times with no luck. The next day i tryed it again and it started right up. Moved it around the driveway, let it run, i open the hood and it stalls. It wont start back up.

My dad and brother just say the car doesn't like me.

So we've been having some hot days up here in pennsylvania. My dad thinks the car has a weak fuel pump. I think the heat heats up the gas causing it to pressurize the fuel line and when the fuel in the fuel line runs out the car stalls. We don't have a fuel pressure meter to check

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you
You might get more help if you could be more specific on how it doesn't start: it doesn't crank at all or it cranks but doesn't fire up?

I'd also try to start it after it was sitting for a while and shut it off myself then start again to see if it starts normally in that case. So far it looks like engine temperature related to me - it starts, engine gets hot, CTS shuts it down and prevents from starting thereafter until it cools down which is slow in that heat you mentioned (15 min at least). Check your engine temperature/coolant/radiator next time.

I don't think temperature itself can provide so much gasoline pressure to feed the engine for 5 minutes. You can also check your theory yourself - open gas cap before starting the car to release 'the pressure' close it back and start the car. I bet it will if it was turned off long enough. You can also hear fueld pump working if you turn your key to ON but not to START yet - you should hear the pump working as it is electrical and there won't be other noises from the engine. It should turn itself off after few seconds as it reaches the neccessary fuel pressure.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 AM

You're right, i'll add more to that post.

After the car shuts off and i try to start it and it doesn't start, It does crank but doesn't fire up.

And to answer your other question, you can hear the fuel pump turn on when the key is in the on position.

something else that may be worth mentioning, is that once the car is started, the fans run. I'm talking as soon as it starts up.

Will that help anyone help me?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM

After the car shuts off and i try to start it and it doesn't start, It does crank but doesn't fire up.

And to answer your other question, you can hear the fuel pump turn on when the key is in the on position.

something else that may be worth mentioning, is that once the car is started, the fans run. I'm talking as soon as it starts up.

I'd definitely check Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) - the fact that fans start running right away indicates that ECU sees your engine temperature as 'high' and turns on the fans. Somewhere on this site or in FSM you can find the specs for the sensor's resistance depending on the temperature. It is easy to check/replace part and it's not expensive. The sensor showing engine temperature on the dashboard is a separate sensor and irrelevant to your problem.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
You might get more help if you could be more specific on how it doesn't start: it doesn't crank at all or it cranks but doesn't fire up?

I'd also try to start it after it was sitting for a while and shut it off myself then start again to see if it starts normally in that case. So far it looks like engine temperature related to me - it starts, engine gets hot, CTS shuts it down and prevents from starting thereafter until it cools down which is slow in that heat you mentioned (15 min at least). Check your engine temperature/coolant/radiator next time.

I don't think temperature itself can provide so much gasoline pressure to feed the engine for 5 minutes. You can also check your theory yourself - open gas cap before starting the car to release 'the pressure' close it back and start the car. I bet it will if it was turned off long enough. You can also hear fueld pump working if you turn your key to ON but not to START yet - you should hear the pump working as it is electrical and there won't be other noises from the engine. It should turn itself off after few seconds as it reaches the neccessary fuel pressure.
I'd definitely check Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) - the fact that fans start running right away indicates that ECU sees your engine temperature as 'high' and turns on the fans. Somewhere on this site or in FSM you can find the specs for the sensor's resistance depending on the temperature. It is easy to check/replace part and it's not expensive. The sensor showing engine temperature on the dashboard is a separate sensor and irrelevant to your problem.
r u sure about those lines dude?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 AM

change ur coolant temp sensor its cheap...and wen the last u had a tune up ( spark plugs, fuel filter etc etc)...learn how to pull the codes u will make ur life way easier...go in modification sticky and look for how to retrieve codes and in that post look for post # 18....
Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
r u sure about those lines dude?
What is wrong? AFAIK CTS is used by ECU to control fans. There're relays, wires, fuses, etc but at the end ECU makes a decision to turn on the cooling fans if CTS reports the engine temperature above certain level whenever this is the case or it's just mulfunctioning CTS.

If you know this works differently please share your knowledge here.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
What is wrong? AFAIK CTS is used by ECU to control fans. There're relays, wires, fuses, etc but at the end ECU makes a decision to turn on the cooling fans if CTS reports the engine temperature above certain level whenever this is the case or it's just mulfunctioning CTS.

If you know this works differently please share your knowledge here.
u r correct about that CTS reports to ECU if temp is above the certain level so ECU can turn on the fans...BUT wen CTS is mulfuctionting ECU doesnt know the temp of the engine and it goes in fail safe mode and turns the fan on all the time till u change the CTS jus to be on the save side....u said CTS shuts the car down, no IT DOESN'T that could be something else but not CTS i m sure atleast not on 3RD GENS...2) u said fans turns on cuz ECU sees the temp high cuz CTS is not workin...no it DOESNT...it just doesnt know wats going on wit the temp of the engine so it is jus programmed from the factory to turn the fan on all the time as soon car starts IF CTS is not working or the signal isnt getting to the ECU somehow(broken wire, damaged harness etc etc) and yes it doesn't matter if the engine is COLD or HOT....

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-17-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
u r correct about that CTS reports to ECU if temp is above the certain level so ECU can turn on the fans...BUT wen CTS is mulfuctionting ECU doesnt know the temp of the engine and it goes in fail safe mode and turns the fan on all the time till u change the CTS jus to be on the save side....u said CTS shuts the car down, no IT DOESN'T that could be something else but not CTS i m sure atleast not on 3RD GENS...2) u said fans turns on cuz ECU sees the temp high cuz CTS is not workin...no it DOESNT...it just doesnt know wats going on wit the temp of the engine so it is jus programmed from the factory to turn the fan on all the time as soon car starts IF CTS is not working or the signal isnt getting to the ECU somehow(broken wire, damaged harness etc etc)
You're not specific about what actually constitutes 'mulfunctioning CTS' either. As you probably aware CTS resistance falls with temperature so does the voltage across it. This voltage is what ECU actually measures/compares. When you disconnect CTS completely and try to start the car ECU sees abnormally high voltage on CTS pin, fires up the engine for few seconds and shuts it down. This one I observed myself and it does make sense - if ECU can't determine engine temperature then it plays safe and shuts the engine down. It does allow you to see that engine can actually start to spare you 'no start' troubleshooting if you're paying attention of course .

What OP has reported sounded slightly different though, like CTS being still connected but its resistance being too low from the beginning. So fans start spinning right away not due to fail safe mode but because engine is 'too hot' from ECU point of view. When engine is warming up CTS resistance decreases even more and that makes ECU to shut the engine down as it can clearly see that spinning fans still doesn't allow it to keep temperature under control. The last statement is my speculation as I don't see use for fail safe mode if you end up with warped heads. I mean - if ECU can't cool down the engine with fans anymore it would be logical to shut it down completely. This is not so rare situation - thermostat stuck in closed position, car is not moving, ambient temp is high - fans alone won't be able to cool engine down without radiator's help even at idle.

To put it short - I think OP's CTS resistance is too low and this causes the behaviour he observes. The best way to check is with ohmmeter and compare with FSM or just post it here. I'm reluctant to recommend replacement as the way to fix the problem as there might be other reasons for such behaviour, CTS is just the most probable one. It's up to him to decide.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 AM

Well incase anyone wants closure i may have it for you. And also please don't be mad....I didn't realize this could be the problem.

I took my max to a mechanic to replace the axle seal. He noticed how the car was running odd and suggested i take the alarm system out. And if that wasn't the problem to maybe replace the computer.
(Mind you i replaced the engine in this car and had bought the car from another maxima.org member. I had not known his troubles with it, he had not told me, so i assumed there was none.

Long story short i removed the alarm system and low and behold the fans stopped running as soon as the car is started.

I hadn't put the alarm system in and i'll tell ya it wasn't easy to remove. There are a LOT of wires that go along with it. So that may have been the problem. An easy fix i guess....we'll see how it runs now. But i still want to thank everyone who had helped me out, as i may have these issues again down the line.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

jruss did you mean you removed the OEM alarm system? The keypad on my driver door doesn't work when it gets really cold, so I want to disconnect the security system as it prevents me turning the key to open the lock on the driver side front door, but for some reason I can open the passenger door with the key.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
jruss did you mean you removed the OEM alarm system? The keypad on my driver door doesn't work when it gets really cold, so I want to disconnect the security system as it prevents me turning the key to open the lock on the driver side front door, but for some reason I can open the passenger door with the key.
i don't think its the alarm system that's stopping you from unlocking the door. should be the time control unit or whatever it's called doorlocktimer thingyjigger.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
I'm not certain but I'd highly doubt he's referring to the OEM alarm system, since he said things like "I hadn't put the alarm system in", which implies that somebody installed it, which implies it's not OEM.

Anyway, in your case, the OEM alarm can be disconnected pretty easily. I've had the same issue as you with a couple of my 3rd gens
Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 PM
mod or sell?

Well incase anyone wants closure i may have it for you. And also please don't be mad....I didn't realize this could be the problem.

I took my max to a mechanic to replace the axle seal. He noticed how the car was running odd and suggested i take the alarm system out. And if that wasn't the problem to maybe replace the computer.
(Mind you i replaced the engine in this car and had bought the car from another maxima.org member. I had not known his troubles with it, he had not told me, so i assumed there was none.

Long story short i removed the alarm system and low and behold the fans stopped running as soon as the car is started.

I hadn't put the alarm system in and i'll tell ya it wasn't easy to remove. There are a LOT of wires that go along with it. So that may have been the problem. An easy fix i guess....we'll see how it runs now. But i still want to thank everyone who had helped me out, as i may have these issues again down the line.
and people wonder why one of the first things I do on a car I buy is remove any aftermarket security systems. I despise car alarms they cause more problems than any good they ever do. Though I did buy a perfect running car for $400 because the alarm wouldn't let it start. removed the alarm and the car started and ran ok.