3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

manual climate control issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 PM

manual climate control issue

Alright... I've gone through the searches and most are about swaps, lights or some other problem that don't pertain to my situation. As said before I have a manual unit that for some reason the temp slider wont function correctly. When trying to put a new **** on I noticed it slides all the way over to the right (heat). When trying to slide all the way to the left (cold) it stops midway. I've looked and theres seems to be nothing in the way. Do take into mind my car is not running yet do to overhaul. I want to get this taken care of before I reassemble the console. Cables seem to be fine and free it just won't move. I won't have pics til tomorrow. That way we all can be on the same page.

Oh yes before I tore it down I have no recollection of testing it out.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 AM

I had to change mine out a few years ago because the track that the slider rides on broke(causing the slider to stick). I found out later that sliding the temp control while the fan is on full blast puts a lot of stress on the slider.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 AM

I just replaced a manual climate unit on my 92 due to the plastic piece that the cable hooks on to being broken. It didn't move all the way one side to the other.

I would get in on the passenger side and look for where the cable connects to the adjusting door and see if it is actually moving when you slide it the little bit it will let you.

Another issue could be what happened when I put the new one on, I didn't slide the door all the way cold and had it on cold when I attached the cable so when I went to adjust the heat it only went halfway and stopped as the position at cold was about halfway. I got down by the door and slid the wire off the door, slid the door to the proper side to match the control, slid the wire back on and have been good since.

Hope this helps
Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The unit is easy to replace and readily available at salvage yards for a few dollars...The temp slider was broken off in my car when I bought it in 2003. I think I paid $35 for a replacement from a salvage yard then...
Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM

I think I'll just replace it. Just can someone please tell me how to disconnect the blue cable on the left side for the fresh air vent and the cable on the bottom for the temp slider. That way when I go out to the jy Sat. I won't waste anytime getting them off. I already have a car in mind to retrieve from.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maximo018
I think I'll just replace it. Just can someone please tell me how to disconnect the blue cable on the left side for the fresh air vent and the cable on the bottom for the temp slider. That way when I go out to the jy Sat. I won't waste anytime getting them off. I already have a car in mind to retrieve from.
make sure you remove the little u clips that keep the cable jacket in place.