3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Soundproofing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Soundproofing

Not sure if I have missed a thread on this but I just bought a '92 SE and am going through and redoing everything. While I have it torn apart, what is the most economical, yet effective way to soundproof or at least reduce the sound in my cabin? I have a new motor/exhaust and it is a bit loud.

I have seen pads and sprays, I am leaning towards sprays but wanted to see if anyone had experience and could share their preference.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 AM

GUTTER TAPE!!!!.... It's the same principle as Dynomat but at a fraction of the cost! You can check my domain page for pictures of it.... And it makes all the difference in the world!!
Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by kringle03
GUTTER TAPE!!!!.... It's the same principle as Dynomat but at a fraction of the cost! You can check my domain page for pictures of it.... And it makes all the difference in the world!!
really? hmmmmm! i wonder if that will work on my rustang
Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Yep! It does wonders! You can get rolls at Home Depot or Lowes for reasonable prices... especially when you compare the price to Dynamat...
Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 AM

www.fatmat.com They cost a little bit more than what you get at homedepot, but they work great
Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Tom

Yep! It does wonders! You can get rolls at Home Depot or Lowes for reasonable prices... especially when you compare the price to Dynamat...
Gutter Tape is also known as Peal and Stick. You'll find it at the roofing section of your local home depot.

It does help. However, the main benefit I got was better bass from the front speakers.

While it helped, I would carefully consider quality tires.

I've had Yokohamas (original tires from factory), Michelin XH4 and Falken ZE-326 tires on the car. The Falkens that I had in the end were by far the quietest and really helped.

One thing I will also note is that different tires from the same brand can be very different as well. I installed Falken ZE-512's on my Camry and they were terribly noisy. They were actually pretty good tires otherwise (grip, ride, treadwear, price), but I couldn't stand the noise.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tom

It does help. However, the main benefit I got was better bass from the front speakers.
If your going to the trouble of doing this, I would have to assume that you have an upgraded sound system with amp, subs, and replacement component speakers... I wouldn't be trying to get ANY additional bass out of the component speakers, that's what subs are for... Components are designed for Mids and Highs... nothing more... even if you did install 6X9s...

The idea behind all of this is increased density of the metal on our cars... i.e. keeping sound in and road noise out... so by adding the gutter tape, you will have better sounding speakers all the way around for the fact that less of the sound waves will be able to escape the car...
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM

My intention is to upgrade the entire system and add an AMP/SW in the trunk. I have a thread in the audio forum asking for recommendations on a HU, but it hasn't gotten any love yet.

I was looking at a Kenwood DVD/Nav setup at Best Buy this weekend that I liked, and according to Crutchfield it will fit. Going to keep looking some as this upgrade is going to go along with my replacing all of the window regulators/motor and fixing the power locks - I want to do it once and be done with it.

If your going to the trouble of doing this, I would have to assume that you have an upgraded sound system with amp, subs, and replacement component speakers... I wouldn't be trying to get ANY additional bass out of the component speakers, that's what subs are for... Components are designed for Mids and Highs... nothing more... even if you did install 6X9s...

The idea behind all of this is increased density of the metal on our cars... i.e. keeping sound in and road noise out... so by adding the gutter tape, you will have better sounding speakers all the way around for the fact that less of the sound waves will be able to escape the car...