3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM

Gas mileage

I was wondering if I'm getting a good MPG ratio.... If I make a drive from CT to RI cruising at 70 MPH about 1hr. 30min trip, should my fuel needle be moving from 3/4 of a tank to 1/2 of a tank on one trip???? car has 161,000 miles......I mean i did fuel system cleaning(not that bottle stuff), changed fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, thinkin bout doing 02 sensors, any other suggestions???? do you guys think this is reasonable
Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

fuel gauges are almost always inaccurate...... unless you have a real fuel mileage figure (fill up, reset trip, drive, fill up again, divide miles by gallons) it doesn't say anything. case in point my brother's camry (which i now drive) said over half tank with 256 miles driven, then corrected itself to "empty" 70 miles later.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
fuel gauges are almost always inaccurate...... unless you have a real fuel mileage figure (fill up, reset trip, drive, fill up again, divide miles by gallons) it doesn't say anything. case in point my brother's camry (which i now drive) said over half tank with 256 miles driven, then corrected itself to "empty" 70 miles later.
lol yea I no those fuel lights on the camry's stay on for ever, but the trip meter on our damm car moves fast as hell lol
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

agreed. I get about 100 miles, from the time I fill up (completely top off), until the needle moves. then I get about 30 or so miles, and I am on 3/4. 70 miles later, I have "1/2 tank".
I get about 25 mpg, est, based on gps calculated mileage. Not the most accurate, but better than the 15 est I get based off my inaccurate speedo (says 65 @ approx 60).
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
agreed. I get about 100 miles, from the time I fill up (completely top off), until the needle moves. then I get about 30 or so miles, and I am on 3/4. 70 miles later, I have "1/2 tank".
I get about 25 mpg, est, based on gps calculated mileage. Not the most accurate, but better than the 15 est I get based off my inaccurate speedo (says 65 @ approx 60).
i know damm well I'm not getting no 25 MPG though, and thats what I wanna improve
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by biggz2332
i know damm well I'm not getting no 25 MPG though, and thats what I wanna improve
You don't know that unless you calculate your gas mileage. The gas gauge isn't linear. Why don't you calculate the gas mileage properly and then come back for diagnosis/discussion/etc. I mean, at this point, you don't even know if you're getting bad gas mileage or not..

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
You don't know that unless you calculate your gas mileage. The gas gauge isn't linear. Why don't you calculate the gas mileage properly and then come back for diagnosis/discussion/etc. I mean, at this point, you don't even know if you're getting bad gas mileage or not..

Well yea the next time I fill up i was going to reset my trip meter and see what I get a on a full tank, but it juss seems like it went down since i bought the car that's all I'm really emphasizing
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

lol yea I no those fuel lights on the camry's stay on for ever, but the trip meter on our damm car moves fast as hell lol
nono, the light didn't stay on... the needle read half-tank at 250 miles and SUDDENLY dropped to empty just 70 miles later. i think his sending unit is crudded up, and only "updates" the needle if i go over a big speedbump or something. so i really can't look at the gauge and say "oh i have this much gas left" because i know that the thing tends to get stuck then move alot all at once. i just know not to push it much further than 300mi/tank on that particular car. man i miss the days of 450 mile tanks on the maxima....

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 09-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM

I was wondering if I'm getting a good MPG ratio.... If I make a drive from CT to RI cruising at 70 MPH about 1hr. 30min trip, should my fuel needle be moving from 3/4 of a tank to 1/2 of a tank on one trip???? car has 161,000 miles......I mean i did fuel system cleaning(not that bottle stuff), changed fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, thinkin bout doing 02 sensors, any other suggestions???? do you guys think this is reasonable

Man this reminds me of those standardized test math problems from 8th grade. At what time will subject "A" reach point "B" and how much gas will he have left? Lol!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM

nono, the light didn't stay on... the needle read half-tank at 250 miles and SUDDENLY dropped to empty just 70 miles later. i think his sending unit is crudded up, and only "updates" the needle if i go over a big speedbump or something. so i really can't look at the gauge and say "oh i have this much gas left" because i know that the thing tends to get stuck then move alot all at once. i just know not to push it much further than 300mi/tank on that particular car. man i miss the days of 450 mile tanks on the maxima....

Oh I understand your statement now!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Man this reminds me of those standardized test math problems from 8th grade. At what time will subject "A" reach point "B" and how much gas will he have left? Lol!
Lol lets not go back to da 8th grade
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM

I did some math and my tank has 4 gallons when the light comes on. I was getting around 270 miles a trip and every time I filled up I could only put in 14 gallons in it with the needle past the "E" lol
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

if trip begins with full tank, then Miles driven / gallons filled = mpg.

my (VE-5) maxima got about 26-28 mpg at an average speed of 80 mph....and better mileage in 4th than 5th gear for some reason.

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
I did some math and my tank has 4 gallons when the light comes on. I was getting around 270 miles a trip and every time I filled up I could only put in 14 gallons in it with the needle past the "E" lol
so you're saying you have an 18 gallon tank?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ustfdes

I believe he's simply referring to that if his gauge hits 'E' then based on 270miles/14gallons = 19.28MPG that he should still be able to drive 77.14miles before running out of gas... it's a great thing to know about your car especially if you find yourself without a gas station around...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

if trip begins with full tank, then Miles driven / gallons filled = mpg.

my (VE-5) maxima got about 26-28 mpg at an average speed of 80 mph....and better mileage in 4th than 5th gear for some reason.

well fsm says 18.5... one time i put in 18.2. talk about running on fumes haha.

that's weird that you would get better mpg in 5th unless you have so little torque at the 5th gear cruising rpm that you had to apply a ton more throttle than you would in 4th. is this with or without VTCs grounded?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 PM

Yah the 3rd Gen's have an 18.5 gallon tank.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM

that's weird that you would get better mpg in 5th unless you have so little torque at the 5th gear cruising rpm that you had to apply a ton more throttle than you would in 4th. is this with or without VTCs grounded?
My VTC's are grounded what does that affect??
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

My VTC's are grounded what does that affect??
grounding the VTCs either reduces low end power or high end power.... at this point i forget which, in order to make the clack stop or reduce. but if it reduces low-end power then it's possible that the engine would be less fuel efficient at low RPMs than it would be with functional VTCs, which could theoretically lead to running a lower gear resulting in better mpg..... but if grounding the vtc's affects topend power then it must just be a conincidence that he was getting better MPG in a lower gear.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 09-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:06 PM

grounding the VTCs either reduces low end power or high end power.... at this point i forget which, in order to make the clack stop or reduce. but if it reduces low-end power then it's possible that the engine would be less fuel efficient at low RPMs than it would be with functional VTCs, which could theoretically lead to running a lower gear resulting in better mpg..... but if grounding the vtc's affects topend power then it must just be a conincidence that he was getting better MPG in a lower gear.
oh yea that makes sense, also another thing is my tranny shifts mad late which I also thinks contributes because it doesnt shift till like 4500 rpm, i tested TPS it's good I just think the tranny's failing
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM

oh yea that makes sense, also another thing is my tranny shifts mad late which I also thinks contributes because it doesnt shift till like 4500 rpm, i tested TPS it's good I just think the tranny's failing
You might wanna check your tranny fluid if it's taking that long to shift... sounds like there's not enough ATF for the TC to operate properly... In which case if you've been running that way for even a little bit, your tranny is prolly on it's way out no doubt...
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by kringle03
You might wanna check your tranny fluid if it's taking that long to shift... sounds like there's not enough ATF for the TC to operate properly... In which case if you've been running that way for even a little bit, your tranny is prolly on it's way out no doubt...

checked my fluid regularly but one time i checked it, and it smell like it was burning and black in color, i was gunna do a tranny flush but i hear if u suspect the trany is failing and u do a flush it will fail after the flush is over...
Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

eh not necessarily failing. tps can be improperly adjusted. do you put it in power mode, normal, or comfort? if it's in power mode, it will always shift late, by design. but i was moreso referring to on a manual, where the gears have a true rpm-to-mph mappings, where an automatic is sort of 'flexible' because of the torque converter, which might make the effect i was describing a little less prevalent.

for one thing, i noticed that at very high speed, my VG5 felt like it pulled harder in 5th than in 4th (like at 90+mph), i guess because once I hit 90 in 4th (around 4600rpm) the torque has fallen off

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 09-23-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 PM

eh not necessarily failing. tps can be improperly adjusted. do you put it in power mode, normal, or comfort? if it's in power mode, it will always shift late, by design. but i was moreso referring to on a manual, where the gears have a true rpm-to-mph mappings, where an automatic is sort of 'flexible' because of the torque converter, which might make the effect i was describing a little less prevalent.

for one thing, i noticed that at very high speed, my VG5 felt like it pulled harder in 5th than in 5th (like at 90+mph), i guess because once I hit 90 in 4th (around 4600rpm) the torque has fallen off
i've tried the power, regular, and comfort settings tranny doesn't adjust 2 dem currently, and when i'm in reverse the car goes de, de, de then catches the gear
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i've tried the power, regular, and comfort settings tranny doesn't adjust 2 dem currently, and when i'm in reverse the car goes de, de, de then catches the gear
have you pulled TCU codes yet? unless you are SURE the tranny is slipping or physically damaged (which will definitely ruin MPGs haha) then always start with the cheap/free diagnoses first.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM

have you pulled TCU codes yet? unless you are SURE the tranny is slipping or physically damaged (which will definitely ruin MPGs haha) then always start with the cheap/free diagnoses first.
At school I've hooked up the solus from snap-on, and ran codes and everything seems to be ok, but I will do the the tranny flush before I finally say that its damaged
Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

At school I've hooked up the solus from snap-on, and ran codes and everything seems to be ok, but I will do the the tranny flush before I finally say that its damaged
hooked it up to what? TCU and ECU have totally separate code-pulling methods
Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM

hooked it up to what? TCU and ECU have totally separate code-pulling methods
well I hooked it up to the lil nissan adapter under the fuse box since our cars aren't OBD-II, and ran the transmission codes through the scanner.... what way do you check TCU?? wouldn't it be the same way regardless
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well I hooked it up to the lil nissan adapter under the fuse box since our cars aren't OBD-II, and ran the transmission codes through the scanner.... what way do you check TCU?? wouldn't it be the same way regardless
i never have myself (tranny died without warning, so i never had a reason to run codes on it). but having never used a fancy hookup scanner thingy, i wasn't aware that you could just run codes that way, but looking at the FSM it does show that you can do alot of stuff via consult.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM

i never have myself (tranny died without warning, so i never had a reason to run codes on it). but having never used a fancy hookup scanner thingy, i wasn't aware that you could just run codes that way, but looking at the FSM it does show that you can do alot of stuff via consult.
yea you can watch the tranny shift on the scanner and all types of stuff like I was running a test while driving, and the scanner would say that the tranny was changing gears, but in reality it wasn't that why Ino all the computer controls for the tranny are good i just thinks it's mechanically gone... where do I geta FSM from???
Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yea you can watch the tranny shift on the scanner and all types of stuff like I was running a test while driving, and the scanner would say that the tranny was changing gears, but in reality it wasn't that why Ino all the computer controls for the tranny are good i just thinks it's mechanically gone... where do I geta FSM from???
www.boredmder.com

but there is usually a slight delay between when the electronics indicate a gear change and when the new gear is actually fully engaged. but if, in your case, it is truly excessive, then yea maybe you might need a new tranny. as always... have you got a video of its behavior?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 PM

www.boredmder.com

but there is usually a slight delay between when the electronics indicate a gear change and when the new gear is actually fully engaged. but if, in your case, it is truly excessive, then yea maybe you might need a new tranny. as always... have you got a video of its behavior?
wat do you mean by video?? and how they hell do I download this FSM thing there is none 4 da 93(i guess i culd use da 94)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Originally Posted by kringle03
I believe he's simply referring to that if his gauge hits 'E' then based on 270miles/14gallons = 19.28MPG that he should still be able to drive 77.14miles before running out of gas... it's a great thing to know about your car especially if you find yourself without a gas station around...
very true, it's nice to know your limits and whatnot.

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Yah the 3rd Gen's have an 18.5 gallon tank.
Originally Posted by Caped Cadaver

yeah, my bad, when i said that about the 18 gallon tank, i wasn't thinking. It's been a while since i was separated from my maxima, and i'm starting to forget things slowly. (but we'll be reunited in november.)

I grounded my VTC's, but it hasn't made a difference in gas mileage. I've put a quick disconnect coupling on my grounding wires and tested it out either way to no conclusion.

my VG5 felt like it pulled harder in 5th than in 5th

wat.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Well its good to know that I have an 18.5 gallon gas tank, I kinda confirmed this when my gas hand was on E, and then went below E. I was so afraid of running out of gas that day. I filled it to get about 9 gallons, which I though would put the gauge over the halfway mark. And to my surprise I only got half a tank! So I said wow, it really is an 18gallon tank, and the whole time I only thought it was a 14 gallon tank! Also I think if you use plus or premium gas when taking long trips that you can get more miles per gallon, because in my opinion it the plus and premium gas seems to make the car run smoother and better then certain brands of regular gas. Ive noticed that I get better mileage with plus or premium than with regular in my GXE, and it seems to run alot better and quieter!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Well its good to know that I have an 18.5 gallon gas tank, I kinda confirmed this when my gas hand was on E, and then went below E. I was so afraid of running out of gas that day. I filled it to get about 9 gallons, which I though would put the gauge over the halfway mark. And to my surprise I only got half a tank! So I said wow, it really is an 18gallon tank, and the whole time I only thought it was a 14 gallon tank! Also I think if you use plus or premium gas when taking long trips that you can get more miles per gallon, because in my opinion it the plus and premium gas seems to make the car run smoother and better then certain brands of regular gas. Ive noticed that I get better mileage with plus or premium than with regular in my GXE, and it seems to run alot better and quieter!

the most I have been able to put in my tank was 15 gallons and it over filled and gas leaked on to the floor, I cant really believe this thing holds approx. 18 gallons
Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

wat do you mean by video?? and how they hell do I download this FSM thing there is none 4 da 93(i guess i culd use da 94)
a video of its behavior... shifting into gear, then driving. alot of people like to describe stuff with words, but 90% of the time a good video tells a heck of a lot more than words can.

wat.
haha i fixed it
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM

a video of its behavior... shifting into gear, then driving. alot of people like to describe stuff with words, but 90% of the time a good video tells a heck of a lot more than words can.
I'll do a video of it's behavior later so you could see what im talking about
Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Heres the link to the video kinda blurry, but it's all I can do

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED
Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM

so far in half a tank i would get like 204 miles using the OD all the time. I go to San Francisco all the time its about 45 miles each way. I am going to Disneyland next month so it will be interesting to see if I can go one way on a full tank....
Old 09-23-2009, 05:17 PM

i get 19mpg with the a/c on and "aggressive" driving in the city.
but was VERY surprised to get 27mpg on the highway.
while with the a/c on doing 70mph sometimes 80mph.

and the gas hand usually drops when there's like 3 gallons left before the gas light comes on.

i have to admit though the gas lights in these cars are pretty good and accurate.
everytime it starts comes on i put like 3 gallons in and the gauge goes to the 1/4 mark.

and i noticed i have'nt ran out of gas in this car before.
4 gal. of reserve come in handy.lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Heres the link to the video kinda blurry, but it's all I can do

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED
alright so at the very very end it looked like it finally went into 2nd, right? was that due to you lifting off the throttle? did you lift off at any other time during the video?

Quick Reply: Gas mileage