3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Front Fuel Injector Rail

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 09:38 AM
toast3d

Front Fuel Injector Rail

Hi, first post for me here...Great forums

I have a 1992 Maxima GXE and have spent a fair amount of money on it over the past 18 months...

Re-built transmission
All new brakes (rotors/calipers/lines)
new ball joints in ffront with extra grease nipples added
manifold gasket replaced
new struts all the way around
probably 30 synthetic oil changes
throttle body cleaned
plugs replaced (platinum tips of course)
k&n air filter
more I'vr forgotten (or blocked out of my memory cuz of the $pain

Kilometers: 280,000 give or take a few hundred (a little over 173K miles I think...I'm Canadian).

Question 1: How much longer do I let this fantastic car lead me around by the wallet? Any idea when "enough is enough"? This car is an amazing road warrior and has never failed me.

Question 2: I now have a fuel leak...The front fuel injector rail. My mechanic has told me that the part is not to be found ANYWHERE in North America, and would need to be shipped from Tokyo. I'm looking at a three week wait. Am I safe driving with my girl in this shape? and is $200.00 a normal cost for front injector rail?

Damn I wish my car was new again

Any help you Maxima Gurus can offer or suggest would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 12-01-2001, 08:02 AM

Re: Front Fuel Injector Rail

Originally posted by toast3d

Question 1: How much longer do I let this fantastic car lead me around by the wallet? Any idea when "enough is enough"? This car is an amazing road warrior and has never failed me.

Question 2: I now have a fuel leak...The front fuel injector rail. My mechanic has told me that the part is not to be found ANYWHERE in North America, and would need to be shipped from Tokyo. I'm looking at a three week wait. Am I safe driving with my girl in this shape? and is $200.00 a normal cost for front injector rail?

Damn I wish my car was new again

Any help you Maxima Gurus can offer or suggest would be GREATLY appreciated.
Question 1: Best plan is to figure out what the car "averages" a month to keep in running. Then see how that number compares to what the payment would be on a new car (that you would like as much).

Question 2: I seriously DOUBT that the fuel rail itself has a leak, as it is just a metal pipe. It's probably leaking just like mine was: from the little rubber hoses that connect the fuel rails and lines together. As far as not being able to get another fuel rail? I'm sure that you could find one for CHEAP at a junk yard. Also it's not that big of a deal to pull the intake / throttle body off of these cars. I think it took me about 5 hours to tear it all apart, replace the lines, etc, put it back together, and drive down the road. Keep in mind though... that was the first time that I had ever pulled it off of the Maxima. Now that I've done it before (and know what has to come off) I'm sure I could do it a lot faster.

Good luck,

Brian Murray
87 RX-7 Turbo II (w/mods)
89 Maxima (daily)
Old 12-01-2001, 12:15 PM
STFU n00b!

WTF? take your cr to a different mechanic next time.

90% of the fuel leaks on the injector area are where the rubber hoses connect to the fuel rail.. the hoses get hard and crack over time, then start to leak around the ends.

but if you DO need a new fuel rail, I've got one sitting in my garage off my 93FXE parts car. I have the entire fuel rail AND the injectors on it. New injectors go for $200+ each, but for the entire thing, I'm asking less than the cost for one new injector.
if you want the parts, shoot me a private messange or an email and we'll work out the business in a more professional manner.