3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen Sparco Seat Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 PM

random non-Sparco seat question, but why does old gas smell sweet? a '76 Datsun F10 (RIP), 60's Toyota Corona (RIP), and '74 Toyota Celica (still alive, no rust on it even) all had their gas caps off, and as soon as you walk near the gas tank it smells sweet. its always bugged me because its a really sweet smell
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Is that Celica a GT or ST? 18RG or 18RC 4 cylinder? I love those 1st gen Celicas they're Japanese 69 Camaros....Back in the day my little Celica use to eat Crossfire injection Camaros for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM

GT, theres constantly old school Celicas there, which is a shame because theyre sick cars

the one with no rust is probably crushed now, its a shame because it was low mileage. i think the only part someone took off of it was the GT emblem from the steering wheel

the Corona is crushed too, no parts were taken off it. The paint was faded but the body was extremely solid, very little rust on one wheel well and thats it

the biggest shame about pick n pull is pretty much the only imports that will get fully stripped besides the shell are RX-7, newer Integras, Tiburon, and 240sx.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 PM

tomorrow i get my second harness. I think now i'm just going to leave out the back seat for good, just extra weight and i dont ever have more than 1 passenger

and with the '74 Celica, it looked EXACTLY like this '74, and i mean exactly. only difference was the one here had chrome hood grille thingies

Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM

Poor little...ST! Was yours a 18RC or 18RG??????
Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM

i didnt take a good look at the engine, but it was dirty and had pine needles in it and all that crap

i got the harness but one fking stubborn bolt is what's stopping me from finishing, i went Sparta with the ratchet, and it wouldnt budge. tried liquid wrench and hammering the ratchet, no go. now i'm trying some industrial loosener, if that doesnt get it loose i'm stumped
Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 PM

well, i ended up buying a extractor set. i tried hammering the ratchet again and ended up banging my hand and got a bad blood blister that popped pretty nasty lol. after i tried yanking the ratchet again and pulled a muscle in my arm and back so tomorrow in the daylight all i gotta do is drill a pilot hole in the screw, drill in the extractor, put the drill in reverse and that bish bolt will come out. i'll try the ratchet once more tomorrow to see if the loosener soaking overnight helps
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM

i cant even drill the friggin thing, it just slides on the surface of the bolt. the only other option now is to find someone with one of those air gun bolt remover tools
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chrome91
i didnt take a good look at the engine, but it was dirty and had pine needles in it and all that crap

i got the harness but one fking stubborn bolt is what's stopping me from finishing, i went Sparta with the ratchet, and it wouldnt budge. tried liquid wrench and hammering the ratchet, no go. now i'm trying some industrial loosener, if that doesnt get it loose i'm stumped
pic?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 PM

i FINALLY got it, i called up my mechanic cousin and was going to borrow his impact gun, but tried with a extension on the ratchet and it finally gave.

i'll be putting the back seat back on, dont really like my subwoofer wiring exposed. thats the only thing left to do, put the back seat on (which i guess you just push back in right?). I'll get some pics on Friday (wont be home until 930 tonight or if i go to the Christmas party at work 12am-1am which i dont want to do because ive got a 14 hour day tomorrow and i dont drive after ive had alcohol so i cant even drink). tomorrow i'm gone at 730am and home at 930pm but i'll get a wash on Friday and take some pics in the daylight
Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

seat back should have 2 bolts at the bottom that go through the loopy things and clips at the top that you have to push down really hard to get them to click. tho if you just need it to hide wiring, the clips at the top will be enough. o and the 2 bolts that go to the metal frame behind the armrest.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 PM

i'll get to it tomorrow. what sucks is tomorrow i have to drive downtown in the morning, fking rushhour and everybody drives like idiots

hopefully getting the back seat back in is easier than out, getting it out was pretty crappy. whatever muscles i tore yanking on the ratchet are hurting bad too.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:11 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CMax03
Is that Celica a GT or ST? 18RG or 18RC 4 cylinder? I love those 1st gen Celicas they're Japanese 69 Camaros....Back in the day my little Celica use to eat Crossfire injection Camaros for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
that doesn't say much.
a carbed one could eat a crossfire one with ease to. the CFI just looked cool.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM

i called it, sh1tty day. road closed to one lane downtown, fking freezing outside, nobody could quit bugging me at work, etc. etc.

anyways tomorrow is supposed to be a cold snowstorm day so i'll get some pics and the back seat in.

random small question, about after 10 minutes of driving in cold weather this morning, my windows fogged up so i threw the heat on medium. every time i accelerated, there was a screeching/squealing sound that quit when i turned off the heat. is it just a belt from it being cold?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 AM

foot of snow already, i was gonna go out today (to the mall and be a loser puting $30 into the Maximum Tune arcade machine) but the roads are beyond terrible, i might make a food run but thats it. i'll grab some pics after

does anyone know if there is a such thing as harness bars for 3rd gens? the way i have the harnesses installed without a bar is within the acceptable angle range but eventually i would like to get a harness bar and even a roll cage. ive tried ebay and allover but i cant find anyone that made a harness bar, only for 5th and newer gens
Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
foot of snow already, i was gonna go out today (to the mall and be a loser puting $30 into the Maximum Tune arcade machine) but the roads are beyond terrible, i might make a food run but thats it. i'll grab some pics after

does anyone know if there is a such thing as harness bars for 3rd gens? the way i have the harnesses installed without a bar is within the acceptable angle range but eventually i would like to get a harness bar and even a roll cage. ive tried ebay and allover but i cant find anyone that made a harness bar, only for 5th and newer gens
We got snow today in Houston, Tx.......
Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
We got snow today in Houston, Tx.......
its NASTY here, just now i found a wrecked 7th gen slid and smashed a pole

pics to come in about a hour, will only be back and side shots because the cars in the garage
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Photobucket has been being a d1ck, when i try to log out it says the action has failed. signed up for Tinypic so i got em. and i put the new harness on the drivers side, the belt is 2" i believe vs the 3" one i had before which is now on the passenger side, 2" feels a bit better for city driving but i can always switch back

Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM

The seats are all finished now, so my next thing to do on my list is the 5spd swap. if i can find a already taken out tranny i'll get it this winter but if i have to get a junkyard one its gonna have to wait until at least the snow is gone. after that, just find a Z31 turbo at the junkyard and get the turbo setup off of it, get some bigger injectors, JWT ECU, intercooler, and all that jazz and go turbo.

the dream is to move to Japan or go there for a few months and run it turbo'd on the Wangan, i know a few people in Tokyo so that problem is taken care of. I would be more than happy moving there and crating over the Maxima, but i dont know if i can leave Canada and family. if i go for a few months, i dont know if i can crate it over and leave my Canadian plates on for a few months. just a dream though
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 PM

kinda funny, the shop that did my seat install called me about a month and a half ago, they call me if they find any parts laying around for VG30E and 3rd gens in general, and he found a Pacesetter part he would sell cheap if i decide to not turbo (Pacesetter fails so i said no) but he called me today and i thought he found something else i could use, he called and said "dude, forgot to tell you your changepurse was under one of the seats, we still have it here" i said its probably the last owners and to chuck it, he said theres cash in it. i drove by, it was a beat up black pencil case thingy with 2 fives, a few toonies and loonies, and some quarters totaling at about $20 it definitely was not mine and i never noticed it, but i got the loot

seats are still comfy though, as for the turbo theres a online site with rebuilt Z31 turbo's so i will get one of those, and stay auto and maybe find a 5spd just incase i ever change my mind
Old 02-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Cool Seats! I have some Prelude seats in mine.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 AM

You do realize that the OEM turbo was actually to small for the VG30... right? They were actually setup for great street performance streetlight to streetlight! Very restrictive on the exhaust side and designed to enhance low speed throttle response not topend power! I would contact a turbo rebuilder like Texas turbo and upgrade the turbine side and compressor side the next step up...at least a .48 or .63 AR to really wake it up with an intercooler.....