3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG Crankshafts

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 PM

VG Crankshafts

So I thought I would ask some of you here, since on the Z31 forums, nothing except excessive flaming starts when someone brings up this subject.

I have an "A" series VG30E, and a VG30DE crankshaft. I know there is not much benefit, there would be a lot of work involved, etc, etc... But I would like to put the DE crank in the "A" block.

There would be some good benefits of using a DE crank, like ATI Dampeners and a multitude of clutch/flywheel combos.

Anyone here have any knowledge about the different VG crankshafts? I do know that the snout is different on the DE crank and would need to be machined.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by neo_densetsu
So I thought I would ask some of you here, since on the Z31 forums, nothing except excessive flaming starts when someone brings up this subject.

I have an "A" series VG30E, and a VG30DE crankshaft. I know there is not much benefit, there would be a lot of work involved, etc, etc... But I would like to put the DE crank in the "A" block.

There would be some good benefits of using a DE crank, like ATI Dampeners and a multitude of clutch/flywheel combos.

Anyone here have any knowledge about the different VG crankshafts? I do know that the snout is different on the DE crank and would need to be machined.

Thanks!
you sure the oil pumps and everything would match up? if you have the parts in front of you, you can just lube everything up and give it a test-fit...

im interested also to see how your vq35 z31 is gonna work with the fact that all vq oilpans are "backwards" relative to the stock z31 oilpan.. custom xmember i presume? amazed you managed to find a non-84 slicktop too...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM

I need to get a DE Oil pump and water pump, I think my friend should still have them.

I was going to use a Pathfinder VQ35, but that Idea is gone now that I found out that the VQ I had had bent rods and valves. This is what I'm building the VG for. When I saw that Z, I pulled $200 out of my wallet and bought it right away, it's even had the clutch-LSD swapped into it. From what I've read, there are only ~200 85 slicktops.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I need to get a DE Oil pump and water pump, I think my friend should still have them.

I was going to use a Pathfinder VQ35, but that Idea is gone now that I found out that the VQ I had had bent rods and valves. This is what I'm building the VG for. When I saw that Z, I pulled $200 out of my wallet and bought it right away, it's even had the clutch-LSD swapped into it. From what I've read, there are only ~200 85 slicktops.
ah.. yea i'm putting a stock vg30 (from a 89 maxima) in my 85.. with a spacer to make the a-block pulley fit properly, then later on i'm dropping in a VG33E from a pathy and turboing it, hopefully also able to get an LSD setup for it. i miss the LSD in my maxima
Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Are you going turbo on the VG30E? The 9:1 compression ratio is quite good for boost. I might just clean up my stock VG30E and put new gaskets on it, then boost it.

I don't reckon that the Maxima pan will work for the Z, any idea on this?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Are you going turbo on the VG30E? The 9:1 compression ratio is quite good for boost. I might just clean up my stock VG30E and put new gaskets on it, then boost it.

I don't reckon that the Maxima pan will work for the Z, any idea on this?
nah, no boost on the VG30... just a hold-over until i have the vg33et ready to go. looking for ~350WHP out of it, but if it wants to give more, then who am i to hold it back?

and no the maxima pan has the sump near the crank pulley, z31 pan has it near the rear of the block. maxima pan is basically the same as all the vq blocks in that respect. that's one thing i'm having to swap in order to get the maxima engine to work in my z.

one useful bit of info for 3rd genners... 84-87 z cams have more duration than the VG maxima cams.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
one useful bit of info for 3rd genners... 84-87 z cams have more duration than the VG maxima cams.
Perhaps I'm confused with what you are saying. I thought that only applied to the turbo engine: J-spec VG versus US shipped? Isn't that how they explained the J-spec (more duration) having a whopping 5hp over US shipped turbo models? I never found there to be any difference between NA models of Japan or those shipped to the US.....in terms of cam. OR are you saying that the only difference between NA and turbo is the duration?

Just trying to sync your understanding with mine!