3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

weird noise while driving...wheel bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 AM

weird noise while driving...wheel bearing??

It makes this sound mostly when the car is heated up, when over 35mph, or at a sudden acceleration. It also gets worst when I i take a left turn. When the car slows down without me pressing the brakes the pitch gets higher. I've never heard this sound in a car period.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Big Drew

I've had this problem for a couple years now and every place i take it to, no one knows what the problem is...Until today when i got new tires. The guy pointed out that it is the worst wheel bearing he has ever seen in his life. I explained what i have been hearing and he said without a doubt thats the problem.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm guessing I wasn't getting answers because people haven't experienced it but now I need to know if its the left or right but I'm thinking it da left because it gets worst when I turn left
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Big Drew

Well I got an 04 and for awhile I've heard a humming noise, and only when I turn left. At first I heard it when I was going fast but now, 2 years later I hear it constantly. I have brought it to get looked at by mechanics and tire centers and no one ever knew what it was.

Guys on here were telling me one thing, but when that was checked, there was nothing wrong apparently. So to get this news today, as much as it sucks because its so close to Christmas, at least I know the problem.

Recently when I pull into a parking spot it will always make a clicking noise. It has been really loud ever since I moved back East and had to deal with the cold, so i thought that was something that added to the problem too.

anyways, I found the wheel bearing online at $55 and I have a mechanic shop that is only charing me $90 in labor. So in total it will be a little over $140. I tried getting an estimate at another place and they were estimating at $375 and they wouldn't allow me to bring in the part i bought because "that is where we get our profit from." douches...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by werdna58
Well I got an 04 and for awhile I've heard a humming noise, and only when I turn left. At first I heard it when I was going fast but now, 2 years later I hear it constantly. I have brought it to get looked at by mechanics and tire centers and no one ever knew what it was.

Guys on here were telling me one thing, but when that was checked, there was nothing wrong apparently. So to get this news today, as much as it sucks because its so close to Christmas, at least I know the problem.

Recently when I pull into a parking spot it will always make a clicking noise. It has been really loud ever since I moved back East and had to deal with the cold, so i thought that was something that added to the problem too.

anyways, I found the wheel bearing online at $55 and I have a mechanic shop that is only charing me $90 in labor. So in total it will be a little over $140. I tried getting an estimate at another place and they were estimating at $375 and they wouldn't allow me to bring in the part i bought because "that is where we get our profit from." douches...
I feel lucky reading this. I found 2 front bearings for less than $70 (rockauto.com) and my local machinist only charged me $25 (I rode my bike with the hubs in a back pack to the place). I wish all people in a shop were like Roger...........

The noise and rattle coming from a bad bearing is overwhelming. The change was so apparent and incredible, I felt like I was driving on road as smooth as an apple. Along with the needed alignment at the time, when I hit atleast 60-70 mph, my door panel would shake and rub on something making the door sound as if it were the home of a pigeon. Me and a few friends had a long running joke with the little guy locked in there.......... It was sad to see him go...........
Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by werdna58

Like the weird thing was I wasnt hearing last week then sunday I start hearing this bad sound i was like this is crazy
Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM

UPDATE! I was driving down the street and the noise has gone from a humming noise to a scratching noise now if i keep the wheel straight the scratch isn't that noisy once the wheel goes left the scratch increases but when it goes right the scratch goes away completely, it comes from the right side of the car and im going to say this is the wheel bearing. It also has a burning type smell, so i wonder if it's cooking. I just need some last comments from others before I buy one

Last edited by biggz2332; 12-29-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by biggz2332
UPDATE! I was driving down the street and the noise has gone from a humming noise to a scratching noise now if i keep the wheel straight the scratch isn't that noisy once the wheel goes left the scratch increases but when it goes right the scratch goes away completely, it comes from the right side of the car and im going to say this is the wheel bearing. It also has a burning type smell, so i wonder if it's cooking. I just need some last comments from others before I buy one
I would imagine so. I know mine is loose b/c I could see it moving around (the splined sleeve inside the bearing retainer) before I put it on, and it does certainly make noise now. I can almost feel it, especially as I turn, it seems to jump to one side due to the forces applied when turning. You will need to find a shop with a pneumatic/hydraulic press to remove the old and press in the new. My local machine shop did it for ~$25. Good luck, lets both hope we aren't damaging the hub or splined sleeve by driving under these conditions!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ve30max
I would imagine so. I know mine is loose b/c I could see it moving around (the splined sleeve inside the bearing retainer) before I put it on, and it does certainly make noise now. I can almost feel it, especially as I turn, it seems to jump to one side due to the forces applied when turning. You will need to find a shop with a pneumatic/hydraulic press to remove the old and press in the new. My local machine shop did it for ~$25. Good luck, lets both hope we aren't damaging the hub or splined sleeve by driving under these conditions!
Also it's to cold to look at it so, I hope not yet I will replace it as I get back to school because I don't wanna make it worst.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM

It makes this sound mostly when the car is heated up, when over 35mph, or at a sudden acceleration. It also gets worst when I i take a left turn. When the car slows down without me pressing the brakes the pitch gets higher. I've never heard this sound in a car period.

take off the wheels jack it in the air unlock the brakes put one hand on the spring of the car while holding spin the wheel/tire if you feel a vibrating pluse it your wheel bearing. easiest way to see if you have a bad wheel bearing.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by KaneStyles
jack it in the air unlock the brakes put one hand on the spring of the car while holding spin the wheel/tire if you feel a vibrating pluse it your wheel bearing. easiest way to see if you have a bad wheel bearing.
sorry after you take out the wheel put one hand on the spring and spin the hub if u feel the vibrating u got a bad wheel bearing
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Also it's to cold to look at it so, I hope not yet I will replace it as I get back to school because I don't wanna make it worst.
Wheel bearing pitch should get lower when car slows down. When mine was bad I used to test it on an empty stretch of road by getting car up to speed, putting in neutral and shutting off the engine. This way you can hear suspension noises easier. Make sure it is safe to do.

I still couldn't figure out that it was wheel bearing and was about to replace support bearing (second time in 2 years ) as I managed to determine it was on the pass side. When dissassembling the knuckle I checked the play in the bearing and I could feel it - you shouldn't with normal one. So, the support one was left alone. The noise was gone after wheel bearing replacement.

Reading your updated description I'd go and check things out on the left side without driving it anymore. I doesn't sound safe and with scratching noise and smell it should be apparent what is wrong. I would check CV joints as they usually more affected by turns than bearing. My bearing noise was not very dependent from direction of the turn.

Last edited by Max_5gen; 01-08-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM

I had a bad wheel bearing on My 1987 Maxima, and Mazda 626. The 87 Maxima made a very loud noise at high speeds and it felt very loose. I once drove it on a 200 mile trip full of passengers, and it seemed to wobble on the driver side! I must have driven it so much that one day I smelled a burning rubber smell with smoke coming from under the wheel well. I had no choice but to take the car to a mechanic which told me that the bearing was so bad that the whole hub had to be replaced on the driverside of the car. A good way to pinpoint which bearing is going bad is to jack the so that the wheels are off the ground and listen to each side to see which side makes the noise, and in the case of my 99 mazda 626 it sounded like both were bad at the same time, but I found out it was the driverside. So I got a hub from the JY and replaced the driverside hub, and no more noise!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM

if you replace the wheel hub with a junk yard one, whats to say that one is going to be in good shape?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
if you replace the wheel hub with a junk yard one, whats to say that one is going to be in good shape?

If you use your senses and check it out before you buy, it's pretty easy to see what condition it is in. Good, usable bearings should feel smooth with a little resistance, from I expect to be the heavy grease. If you can spin them with little effort or you can even spin them so that they continue to spin after you aren't touching them, they are more than likely worn. I haven't experienced this with a wheel bearing in a hub, but I think most bearings, in similar applications (bicycle whee hubs from my experience), should act the same when inspecting them for functionality.

I just had to replace my bearing in my passendger side hub because I'm an idiot and used the hub as a hammer so as to remove the axle. When I put it all back to together, you could feel the bearings flopping around, and the scratching noise was intolerable. The machine shop guys said it should not be an issue with the hub race surfaces, but only the bearings which are damaged. I described the usable bearings in light of how my new bearings feel. The old ones were only around a year old with no more than 5K on em.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

The weirdest thing is the problem wasn't the bearing the heat shield was bent up against the rotor last thing i would've expected.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM

I have experienced that as well, twice, and it's a gratifying fix since it is almost like a breath of fresh air. I always check the clearance now when I am messing with anything down there.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM

That's too funny and a much cheaper fix too.