3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

91 Maxima VG Jumped time

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM

91 Maxima VG Jumped time

Ok, I posted a few days ago about my car not starting. It seems that I have no compression in cylinder 5. Looks like the car jumped time. Now my question is what is the possibility that I bent the valves? Is the engine rebuildable? Thanks!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
mod or sell?

if you have no compression and you jumped time, I'd say you bent at least one valve. of course the engine can be rebuilt. But is the cost worth it?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM

If it is only the valve you are concerned with, you may be able to fix only it. Naturally, it may seem worthwhile to take care of the other ones whilst the head removed, but you can rent the valve compressor from autozone to take care of one. In all it may cost less than $50 if you only took off the head whith the bent valve, you could even access it without removal of the head, but IMO you should take the head to a trusty machine shop who can check it for ANY issues (warpage, cam lobe damage from valve lifter, etc.).

I encountered some valve slapping after a bad timing belt replacement. I was certain I ruined the head and everything in it, but to my surprise, it was fine! The machinist, whom i trust with any project from this point forward, checked it over, mic'd everything, made sure the mating surfaces were flat, and checked each valve for roundness and straightness. He gave me a killer deal too..............

Needless to say, don't jump the gun, and inspect things thoroughly before looking for reman'd heads and new engines. Hope this helps..................
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by ve30max
If it is only the valve you are concerned with, you may be able to fix only it. Naturally, it may seem worthwhile to take care of the other ones whilst the head removed, but you can rent the valve compressor from autozone to take care of one. In all it may cost less than $50 if you only took off the head whith the bent valve, you could even access it without removal of the head, but IMO you should take the head to a trusty machine shop who can check it for ANY issues (warpage, cam lobe damage from valve lifter, etc.).

I encountered some valve slapping after a bad timing belt replacement. I was certain I ruined the head and everything in it, but to my surprise, it was fine! The machinist, whom i trust with any project from this point forward, checked it over, mic'd everything, made sure the mating surfaces were flat, and checked each valve for roundness and straightness. He gave me a killer deal too..............

Needless to say, don't jump the gun, and inspect things thoroughly before looking for reman'd heads and new engines. Hope this helps..................
your sig (and video) say vg30De
it is not a dual overhead cam engine.
Just fyi...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
your sig (and video) say vg30De
it is not a dual overhead cam engine.
Just fyi...

Ah ha, good eye sir. It never dawned up me, I will correct those typos, and do apologize to those whom I hopefully haven't confused! I do that regularly to myself enough, and the amount of laughter that ensues from it would keep anyone other than myself in a perpetual state of disarray. I do wish I had more pics to include in that timeline, could make the segments longer, and had everything in on the same day for that matter. The sun served as my shop light and labor timer........
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 AM

Just pull the heads and replaced the damaged valves yourself and handlap them or have a machine shop perform the job/ or an entire head job or remove and replace with rebuild heads...you have plenty of options! Sorry to hear that happen disregard my last reply to your previous thread regarding the crank/cam sensor...I was hoping it wasn't your timing belt dude....