3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

2 Questions: Crankshaft pulley + sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 AM

2 Questions: Crankshaft pulley + sunroof

Howdy guys.

1)
I'm in the process of replacing the water pump and timing belt. After an awesome fight with the crankshaft pulley I've got it off, but unfortunately bent the inside lip for the inner belt...its only split maybe an inch around the whole edge, but I'd rather replace it now than later if a belt jumps off. The whole pulley looks a little bent as well.
I've got one on my spare engine, but that isnt connected to a gearbox...so my first question, split in two, is:

A) How can I remove the main bolt, and get that pulley off the spare engine, since I don't really have anyway of locking the flywheel ??
It'll be much easier getting that pulley off as I'll just sit the engine upright (flywheel down) and wedge it off gently...but getting that bolt off first is my main obstacle.

B) Instead of using my spare OEM, are there many lightened aftermarket options around ?
I've searched locally here, and found nothing .. only an "Aftermaket" one for $650 AUD, or OEM for $780 AUD. Figured I'd ask here since over there you have alot more aftermarket parts for Maxima's at a ****load cheaper.
It's almost as hard sourcing parts for my Max than it is for my import sometimes, which is starting to **** me off lately

2)
Sunroof slider thingy...the roof carpet thing that slides backwards and forwards.
I took my sunroof out a while ago and put this in...which was slightly challenging to do by myself...I put the trim in while it was out, and it sat on the rails perfectly, slid forward and backwards good, it went back automatically when I wound the sunroof via that flat screw, etc...it all looked sweet so I put it back up on the roof, and now...I've noticed that with the sunroof glass closed, or tilted up, the trim will only slide back approx 200mm at the most...the only way to slide the trim back all the way is to move the glass back with it....now I've noticed in my A31 Ceffy that the sunroof (identical operation) is moveable in any case...even with the glass closed, the trim can be pushed all the way back.
I've seen some other makes of vehicle restrict sunroof shade movement based on the glass position, but this confuses me since the Maxima seemingly does it this way, and the Cefiro does it the other way....did I not put it in the rails correctly, or is it just like that on the J30s ?
Figured I'd ask this stupid question now, before I go pulling that sunroof down again without ripping my leather seats apart :\

Cheers
Nic
Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 AM

If you have access to an impact wrench, it iwll take the bolt off no problem, but if you don't, you might have to be thrifty. You could try leaving the alternator belt on, especially if there is an old on elying around, and get it real tight, because the alternator is really hard to trun over, but the pulley may slip around the belt. I bet soeone wles has a better trick on here...........

The sunroof shade should go back all the way, but I don't know what may be causing it to do that. I have always had trouble with mine, those little guide pins have a way of disdappearing, and I leave it out because it is so much trouble with a leaky roof.............

Sorry for my half *** answers, wait till the rest of the forum wakes upo and you will get something educated out of someone.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 AM

Cool thanks dude.
I'll have another look at the sunroof when I can be bothered pulling it all down again.

My mate actually tried his impact wrench on that main bolt...it just overheated and died...so that definately ain't working
Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 AM

I forgot I used to have to use a chain whip when I didn't have air tools. It is like a pair of vice grips, but has a chain which connects to both jaws and allows you to grip things very well. Have fun, it can hurt if you don't get the right angle on it, and you might try tapping it/heating/ or spraying with some PB blaster as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Yeah, I got a 800mm long extension bar for my socket...I gave it some WD40 and tried running it clockwise then snapping it counterclockwise quickly....it just sticks there, doesnt want to unwind off the thread...tried wedging the flywheel down into the ground and even tried to jam the flywheel with some bricks...the teeth just munched through them when I turned it....stupid engine!
Might have to get a giant oil filter remover .. for like...truck oil filters, and hold the crankshaft with that.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM

These are what I was referring to. These made everything possible when removing my pulley. A little heat from a torch makes life easy too.