3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cup holder issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM

cup holder issues

I bought a cup holder from "93SCMax" last week, and before he shipped it opened and closed properly, and after i received it in the mail it wouldn't close. We where PMing each other trying to figure out what it could be, and we've came to the conclusion to bring in to the threads. here's a video of the problem

Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM

use the cupholder in the glove compartment LMAO jp =P its so lame lol i dont get why nissan made it that way, u can probably only use it when your not moving haha
Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

i just watched ur video, maybe one of the pieces that is suppose to hold it in is bent or something.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
i just watched ur video, maybe one of the pieces that is suppose to hold it in is bent or something.
can the cup holder be disassembled with out being damaged
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
use the cupholder in the glove compartment LMAO jp =P its so lame lol i dont get why nissan made it that way, u can probably only use it when your not moving haha
lol thats the only way ur gonna be able to use the cup holder in the glove compartment..ive got plenty of spills on my passenger floor mat to show it was one of the dumbest ideas nissan ever made lol...dunno why i tried to use it especially in a 5spd lol
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

looks like something is back there, keeping it from staying. does the piece with the holes slide just fine?
disassembly is easy; reassembly is a little harder but do-able.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
looks like something is back there, keeping it from staying. does the piece with the holes slide just fine?
disassembly is easy; reassembly is a little harder but do-able.
The thing is it wouldn't close before i installed so when you say back there do u mean inside of the cup holder itself. yea the piece with the holes slide fine.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

yeah, behind the drawer, inside the cubby... thing... but it is probably a couple of pennies, or something, stuck to the back wall, or bottom, by the mechanisms. that was what was wrong with mine, when I installed it.
I ended up chunking the plastic hole thingy out the window one day ,because it was keeping the drawer from closing (way after i installed it with no problems, after removing aforementioned pennies). now i have a cool slide out drawer, vs flip down door cubby thing that I couldn't put anything into.... no cup holder, 'cept my legs.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM

I took mine apart sometime ago, and when I put it back together it didn't work good. Had to take it apart again. It's a ***** to put it back together tho, have fun.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
lol thats the only way ur gonna be able to use the cup holder in the glove compartment..ive got plenty of spills on my passenger floor mat to show it was one of the dumbest ideas nissan ever made lol...dunno why i tried to use it especially in a 5spd lol
it's a long running joke...but i hope you're not serious. it's a good tray if you're eating lunch in the car, though.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:35 PM

i'm actually kind of curious to know why you'd install it if it wasn't closing in the first place.

mine's not somewhere where i could look at it. it looks as though it's not catching. i wonder if something broke. if you shake it can you hear anything moving around? disassembling it is the only real way you're going to figure this out.

for about $10 and about 30 minutes of your time, you guys could buy a good cup holder and not worry about spilling drinks while cornering.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM

yeah, behind the drawer, inside the cubby... thing... but it is probably a couple of pennies, or something, stuck to the back wall, or bottom, by the mechanisms. that was what was wrong with mine, when I installed it.
I ended up chunking the plastic hole thingy out the window one day ,because it was keeping the drawer from closing (way after i installed it with no problems, after removing aforementioned pennies). now i have a cool slide out drawer, vs flip down door cubby thing that I couldn't put anything into.... no cup holder, 'cept my legs.
I'll pull it out tomorrow and see what the deal is with this damm thing lol
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
I took mine apart sometime ago, and when I put it back together it didn't work good. Had to take it apart again. It's a ***** to put it back together tho, have fun.
what was wrong when you took yours apart?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Something with the rails/mechanism wasn't setup right when I put it back together. I think the shipping might of done the same thing with yours. Worth a try to pull it apart.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM
98 SE

I sold the cupholder and she worked fine prior to shipping. I taped the mounting screws and brackets inside the unit and then taped her shut prior to double bubble wrapping and shipping. No pennies are inside, and unless the 8 mounting screws (four for brackets to cupholder and 4 for brackets to dash) weren't used, there shoulding be anything inside it keeping it from closing unless some tape got left back there. The tray with the holes seems to move easily and unless something is behind it, doesn't seem to be the problem.

I think the possibly of something being bent, or the unit being dropped in shipping is possible. Based on the video, it doesn't seem to find the "stationary" or neutral position now. Spring action works fine. Since there isn't anything in the FSM concerning a dash cupholder, we thought someone might have some experience with this thing and could help with troubleshooting the fix.

Thanks' for everyone's input.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
I sold the cupholder and she worked fine prior to shipping. I taped the mounting screws and brackets inside the unit and then taped her shut prior to double bubble wrapping and shipping. No pennies are inside, and unless the 8 mounting screws (four for brackets to cupholder and 4 for brackets to dash) weren't used, there shoulding be anything inside it keeping it from closing unless some tape got left back there. The tray with the holes seems to move easily and unless something is behind it, doesn't seem to be the problem.

I think the possibly of something being bent, or the unit being dropped in shipping is possible. Based on the video, it doesn't seem to find the "stationary" or neutral position now. Spring action works fine. Since there isn't anything in the FSM concerning a dash cupholder, we thought someone might have some experience with this thing and could help with troubleshooting the fix.

Thanks' for everyone's input.
And i used all the screws so... I dunno maybe the people who worked for usps were mad that morning and tossed the box, but don't worry I'm not blaming you
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
Something with the rails/mechanism wasn't setup right when I put it back together. I think the shipping might of done the same thing with yours. Worth a try to pull it apart.
I'll do it tomorrow or wednesday
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
mod or sell?

Ok, I just did some exploratory surgery on mine.
it only takes 4 screw to come apart
2 on the bottom, and 2 on the back (in that order).
on the bottom piece there is a white latch that keeps it in.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
LMAO dude seriously, its gotta be like the dummest design ever, i mean its perfect if ur at sonics maybe lmao
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 PM

after we took apart my dash to do subwoofer wiring a couple of years ago, my cubby never stayed shut. wedged a nickel in and it keeps it closed

but the cupholder FAILS, i was at the DQ drive-thru and gave a bit of acceleration to screech my tires and my Pepsi flew in the air and onto the drivers side floor, and when i hit the brakes it was a tidle wave of pop
Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by chrome91
after we took apart my dash to do subwoofer wiring a couple of years ago, my cubby never stayed shut. wedged a nickel in and it keeps it closed

but the cupholder FAILS, i was at the DQ drive-thru and gave a bit of acceleration to screech my tires and my Pepsi flew in the air and onto the drivers side floor, and when i hit the brakes it was a tidle wave of pop
fail 1) DQ
fail 2) it's 2010, not 1955
fail 3) you used the "cup" holder
fail 4) you tried to peel out
fail 5) you blamed the cup holder

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 PM

fail 1) DQ
fail 2) it's 2010, not 1955
fail 3) you used the "cup" holder
fail 4) you tried to peel out
fail 5) you blamed the cup holder

noob there was slush under my front tires and then dry cement, just asking for a spin and a little screech.

i cant stand the cupholder, it doesnt even fit standard fking cups.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 AM

Had one handy so I took the metal shroud off. The locking mechanism consists of a plastic nub on the bottom of the main tray which interlocks with a spring loaded white plastic lock. When you push it in, the rod slides the lock to the right and then back to its original place when the rod clears. When you push to release it, the tray pushes a springloaded black rectangular piece of plastic which moves the white locking piece to the right again and allows the rod on the bottom of the tray to clear the locking piece.

So if there's not a penny or something jamming things up, one of those things is broken or the spring isn't set correctly.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Ok, I just did some exploratory surgery on mine.
it only takes 4 screw to come apart
2 on the bottom, and 2 on the back (in that order).
on the bottom piece there is a white latch that keeps it in.
Thanks so if that white thing can be misaligned or broken?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by biggz2332
Thanks so if that white thing can be misaligned or broken?
it could be broken as it is just cheap plastic.
Take it apart and check is my best advice.

see that shiny piece? make sure you remember to rehook it when you put the tray back together.
you will see what i mean later.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Hectic
Had one handy so I took the metal shroud off. The locking mechanism consists of a plastic nub on the bottom of the main tray which interlocks with a spring loaded white plastic lock. When you push it in, the rod slides the lock to the right and then back to its original place when the rod clears. When you push to release it, the tray pushes a springloaded black rectangular piece of plastic which moves the white locking piece to the right again and allows the rod on the bottom of the tray to clear the locking piece.

So if there's not a penny or something jamming things up, one of those things is broken or the spring isn't set correctly.
psst, post 18.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM

i kinda remember 2 screws on each side that i tightened a little not knowing they scrape the sides of the sliding trey and made mine slow release till i loosened the 2 screws on each side
Old 01-17-2010, 10:40 PM

noob there was slush under my front tires and then dry cement, just asking for a spin and a little screech.

i cant stand the cupholder, it doesnt even fit standard fking cups.
Benstoked 2600+ posts

You 1100+ posts

Who is a noob?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

4get a cupholder. I have a roll of duct tape belted in the passenger seat and held by my ice scraper. holds cups and I'm ready to make any quick repairs.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
Benstoked 2600+ posts

You 1100+ posts

Who is a noob?
i dont wh0re post tho

plus youve been here for almost 4.5 years and have nearly 300 posts less than me whose been here for a year
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM

That doesn't mean anything. If you feel like you have something to prove to make you feel high and mighty on an internet board I am sure there is a forum for that somewhere else.

Back to the cupholder, I had one that did the same thing and I could not keep it closed. I ended up taking that ribbon spring off so that all I had to do was open and close it manually.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by gapboi210
Benstoked 2600+ posts

You 1100+ posts

Who is a noob?

i dont wh0re post tho

plus youve been here for almost 4.5 years and have nearly 300 posts less than me whose been here for a year
liar
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM

liar
my bad, i skank post

and chihuahua win lmao
Old 01-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Finally i got to taking apart the cup holder, and the lil black circle(opposite of the white plastic thing) that has a pin in it was broken so it would click but not hold... so I didn't bother to but back on the retraction piece I'll just open and close manually.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by biggz2332
Finally i got to taking apart the cup holder, and the lil black circle(opposite of the white plastic thing) that has a pin in it was broken so it would click but not hold... so I didn't bother to but back on the retraction piece I'll just open and close manually.
easier said than done
Old 01-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
easier said than done
Lol I know what you mean that's why I didn't install the bracket cuz I noticed it woulda been impossible
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM

Hey, we just got one of those out of a junkyard. Not going to use the cup holder, just for storage. I did find a cupholder out of an earlier Nissan that fits in the center console. Looks like a wire "8" and folds into the lid. Works pretty good for 12 oz cans.

Talking about the glove box cup holders - must have been a late 80's early 90's thing. There was a Mercedes in the junk yard that had them as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM

i was just going to post about the wire 8, Stanza used the same gauge cluster, steering wheel, and the center console is the same. the center armrest has the wire 8 in it, and i'm sure it would fit a 3rd gen because we used the same console

i was just fking around at the junkyard looking at cool cars and i looked inside the Stanza and found it, didnt get the armrest though because i dont let food at all in my Max so its no use to me