3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
well yeah but the projectors are 75 plus 15 shipping and the headlights themselves i think are like 85 lol
yeah but once you get it on your car you'll realize that it's a bargain... especially since without projectors you are either blinding people but can see well, or have the lights aimed way down not to blind people. This way you will neither blind people nor have the lights aimed way down
Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TTYME
Garf n VE30MAX, I agree 100% that these forums are for helping or getting help/ideas for our cars. BUT he offerred this "you have the mental capacity of a staple" Yeah that's helpful and constructive. I'm here for help myself with my 93'. I made a small comment abt a prodct and got an adolecent response and what's really funny is how some of you over look the insult that started this entire situation, but come at me like I did something wrong.. I'm not new to forums as I am a moderator on some, some of which some of you are on yourselves. But its cool. I'm over it. Oh and for the comment from lil Mountain Dew boy(Bestoked) who's short list I'm on by myself? LOL..grow up.
welcome to the forum there are always **** making such comments so get used to it and just ignore those who like to add stupid comments. Im just glad I went to college to work on cars so im not so much in need of asking these low self esteem people who put others down questions on help figuring out problems that arise. Word of advise research on things before you post notes about products or mods you want to do because Ben, Caped, Dan, and a few others will rain down on your post about how it is stupid or not able to be done. Imo just do the mod and or idea you have but make sure to do it in the correct way and dont half **** way.

if you want a light mod just do the E36 Euro projectors and call it done yes they dont fit exactly perfect unless you get either the GTO covers and remove and replace the glass lens from the BMW's or you can take and buy those junk euro clear maxima headlights and use the lens off those to replace the E36 glass lens.

Last edited by elusivemax93; 02-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
welcome to the forum there are always **** making such comments so get used to it and just ignore those who like to add stupid comments. Im just glad I went to college to work on cars so im not so much in need of asking these low self esteem people who put others down questions on help figuring out problems that arise. Word of advise research on things before you post notes about products or mods you want to do because Ben, Caped, Dan, and a few others will rain down on your post about how it is stupid or not able to be done. Imo just do the mod and or idea you have but make sure to do it in the correct way and dont half **** way.

if you want a light mod just do the E36 Euro projectors and call it done yes they dont fit exactly perfect unless you get either the GTO covers and remove and replace the glass lens from the BMW's or you can take and buy those junk euro clear maxima headlights and use the lens off those to replace the E36 glass lens.
er, the particular mod he was talking about (getting the clear ebay housings and installing them as they are) is in itself a half-**** way..... we've been here long enough to know what the product in question is and how incredibly BAD it is. so just because we choose not to be friendly doesn't make us "downers who just want to rain on his parade"... we're still right and that's what matters.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

eh. im definately buying a pair of clear euro housings, BUT only for the purpose of retrofitting bixenon projectors and a few leds just for a nice glowing look inside the housings. best of both worlds.....i can have clear euros and direct my light to where i can see greatly, and not bling anyone. its a win win for everybody. besides the retrofit will look great
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yeah but once you get it on your car you'll realize that it's a bargain... especially since without projectors you are either blinding people but can see well, or have the lights aimed way down not to blind people. This way you will neither blind people nor have the lights aimed way down
yeah your right man i might as well huh plus i think the black headlights will look awesome with the paint scheme im going with later on and the black faced chrome lipped rims i have. lol

Originally Posted by elusivemax93

wow dude you are trully late because we have all let that topic of discussion go like 7 posts ago lol
Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 AM

so after pullin the corner lenses out...im puttin them back in today and the bottom part of the lens doesnt sit flush with the black rubber on the bumper anymore?? what the hell?? lol im really gettin annoyed with taking things off then reinstallin them and they dont sit the way they were before i removed...any ideas?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Man, I'm new here and someone told me this forum had a lot of info for max's and you guys know alot. I'd like to do this light conversion to my car..well time to start my search for parts...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by TTYME
I just saw the euro lights(clear and dark) on Carid.com. I'm thinking abt picking up a pair of those for my car. They seem cool..
They have the same lights on ebay cheaper... but they say these light suck without useing projectors...
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SeaMAX
Either Do THIS or DON'T BUY THEM. PERIOD!

Where did you get/what car did ur projectors come off? I think this would be the best way to do it myself it looks better then just having the regular bulb in 'em. I also like they Audi style LED saw them in pepboys yesterday but i cant use them just yet...
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Where did you get/what car did ur projectors come off? I think this would be the best way to do it myself it looks better then just having the regular bulb in 'em. I also like they Audi style LED saw them in pepboys yesterday but i cant use them just yet...
those are the mazda Rx-8 projectors, i recommend the FX-R for better overall performance
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by coolsun
those are the mazda Rx-8 projectors, i recommend the FX-R for better overall performance
Yup RX-8 Projectors..I would get the FX projectors because it would be less work and probably less expensive.

LED white strip was a simple cement glue job. I'm redoing the corners now to clears so it matches the headlights and adding a amber led strip to the top to continue the look of the headlights white leds.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

seems like FX's would be easier to mount since the framework behind the headlight was designed for a single bulb setup rather than a dual side-by-side setup like an E36.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM

seems like FX's would be easier to mount since the framework behind the headlight was designed for a single bulb setup rather than a dual side-by-side setup like an E36.
But I have to say when I had e36 lights with angels eyes on the max they look much better from the front. For some reason the dual headlights look nicer and and more menacing to me on the max then a single projector setup.

The problem was trying to get the wade covers to fit probably so it flowed right with the hood and corner from different angles.

If I was to do this again I would go with the euro/jdm clear headlight assembley and e36 projectors with halos.

Let me see if I can find a pic of the max with waded cover E36 lights.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

But I have to say when I had e36 lights with angels eyes on the max they look much better from the front. For some reason the dual headlights look nicer and and more menacing to me on the max then a single projector setup.

The problem was trying to get the wade covers to fit probably so it flowed right with the hood and corner from different angles.

If I was to do this again I would go with the euro/jdm clear headlight assembley and e36 projectors with halos.

Let me see if I can find a pic of the max with waded cover E36 lights.
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20headlights/

goon combined the corners with the E36 DEPO's
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20headlights/

goon combined the corners with the E36 DEPO's
Yup I followed goon's progress since he started his lights to the one piece hood and grille. THAT'S ALOT OF WORK. My new setup will just have the corners cleared with led lights and led strips..too much fabricating to try and do the one-piece.

Then maybe next winter I'll sell my headlights and do the e36 lights in the euro/jdm housing.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yup I followed goon's progress since he started his lights to the one piece hood and grille. THAT'S ALOT OF WORK. My new setup will just have the corners cleared with led lights and led strips..too much fabricating to try and do the one-piece.

Then maybe next winter I'll sell my headlights and do the e36 lights in the euro/jdm housing.
i still have his actually. the projector bowls need to be rechromed on the inside though, as it began peeling.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 AM

i still have his actually. the projector bowls need to be rechromed on the inside though, as it began peeling.

are those headlights of goon's you have working?? if so you prolly wouldnt sell them to me or they prolly dont fit?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 AM

ebay has alot of headlights but i feel like smoked lights always are a cheaper and most of da time betta looking mod
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM

im pretty newb to maximas....and i found out real fast that there are barely any aftermarket stuff for my 91 maxima....lol i dont really wanna do all those headlight work but go with something more outstanding...like a s13 front conversion?? would it look okay on the maxima??
Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by newbi_maxi
im pretty newb to maximas....and i found out real fast that there are barely any aftermarket stuff for my 91 maxima....lol i dont really wanna do all those headlight work but go with something more outstanding...like a s13 front conversion?? would it look okay on the maxima??
sure, if you want to be a ricer

nobody has EVER done it, if you want to waste your money and try it, go for it. guarantee it'll be 100x more difficult and 100x more expensive than just doing a ******* projector retro like you're supposed to.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:34 AM

sure, if you want to be a ricer

nobody has EVER done it, if you want to waste your money and try it, go for it. guarantee it'll be 100x more difficult and 100x more expensive than just doing a ******* projector retro like you're supposed to.

sooo...it'll look pretty rice huh... i was just thinkin bout it...it'll be a one of kinda thingy...but yea....the difficulty and money would be a shiat load more!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

sooo...it'll look pretty rice huh... i was just thinkin bout it...it'll be a one of kinda thingy...but yea....the difficulty and money would be a shiat load more!
if you want an s13 front end, buy an s13. rwd and GOBS of aftermarket support, more fun than any FWD maxima will ever be, period, end of story.

if you want to keep the maxima then do E36's or a bixenon retro.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM

if you want an s13 front end, buy an s13. rwd and GOBS of aftermarket support, more fun than any FWD maxima will ever be, period, end of story.

if you want to keep the maxima then do E36's or a bixenon retro.
lmao....yea...i get it...
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM

yeah it would be best to even get a 180sx and put a Silvia front end so you have a Sileighty
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

i'll buy someones e36 retro headlights...LMAO....

i dont wanna take all that time to make it....
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'll buy someones e36 retro headlights...LMAO....

i dont wanna take all that time to make it....
i don't think anybody is selling any that are pre-setup for the car.. and regardless, to fit ANY E36 setup on the car you WILL have to trim some of the framework of the car for them to fit, no way around that. you could opt for a bixenon (single projector for high/low instead of side-by-side high/low) without cutting the body though. it's really NOT that hard, you're just being lazy. but given that you live in the USA, that would explain the laziness
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM

i don't think anybody is selling any that are pre-setup for the car.. and regardless, to fit ANY E36 setup on the car you WILL have to trim some of the framework of the car for them to fit, no way around that. you could opt for a bixenon (single projector for high/low instead of side-by-side high/low) without cutting the body though. it's really NOT that hard, you're just being lazy. but given that you live in the USA, that would explain the laziness
Dude, you're better than that. Don't stoop to being one of those America-bashing guys.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM

I thought it was funny...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nalc
Dude, you're better than that. Don't stoop to being one of those America-bashing guys.
hate me all you want but the truth is the truth and there's no getting around that this is the land of "i want it but i don't wanna have to do anything to get it". just headlight retros vs ******* giving up and putting HID kits in stock housings is proof enough of that.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-31-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 AM

hate me all you want but the truth is the truth and there's no getting around that this is the land of "i want it but i don't wanna have to do anything to get it". just headlight retros vs ******* giving up and putting HID kits in stock housings is proof enough of that.
Meh. Maybe you just need to lower your expectations. I expect retards to put 8000K HIDs in their stock housings. If I see someone with a retrofit, it makes me happy because I know that somewhere between that driver's ears, there is at least one little brain cell making smart decisions. But if I see someone with just a HID kit, I'm not surprised or disappointed, and for future discussions with that member, I will take note of the fact that they are severely mentally handicapped.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Meh. Maybe you just need to lower your expectations. I expect retards to put 8000K HIDs in their stock housings. If I see someone with a retrofit, it makes me happy because I know that somewhere between that driver's ears, there is at least one little brain cell making smart decisions. But if I see someone with just a HID kit, I'm not surprised or disappointed, and for future discussions with that member, I will take note of the fact that they are severely mentally handicapped.
i expect nothing less than utter perfection anything less is unacceptable. i'm actually kinda ticked off that the place i got my HID bulbs from didn't have 4300k... just 3000, 5000, and 6000+. but oh well.. most people wouldn't even consider my 5000k's blue but to me they are.

and i don't get why cops don't go after people with bad headlights more often unless it's because they'd have to sit in court for every one just for it to be thrown out because the owner can provide a (fake or real) pic "proving" that they've removed the improper headlights. if not for that loophole i'd think it would be easy money for the city. and what officer doesn't want to help out his/her police district with some extra revenue?

but honestly, for a bixenon setup, it's pretty much a 4 step process.. 1) cut out the back of the housing just enough to fit the projector in, 2) rig up a way to mount the projector level in the housing (i used some 16ga steel wire and aluminum tape on my Z), seal up the back (also aluminum tape), then wire it up. throw a diode in there (current flow direction: FROM highbeam wire TO lowbeam wire) to allow the highbeam wire to keep the lowbeams (ie HID ballast) on when you are using highbeams and you're done, tho relays are a good idea if you know how to use them.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-31-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

yea, im pretty lazy at car stuff....
Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yea, im pretty lazy at car stuff....
in that case stock halogen headlights are the perfect match for you! leave them as they are. or maybe in a couple months you can pay me to make you a set that will plug right in to your stock harness.. i just happen to not have any time over the next few months to work on stuff like that.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 PM

i expect nothing less than utter perfection anything less is unacceptable. i'm actually kinda ticked off that the place i got my HID bulbs from didn't have 4300k... just 3000, 5000, and 6000+. but oh well.. most people wouldn't even consider my 5000k's blue but to me they are.

and i don't get why cops don't go after people with bad headlights more often unless it's because they'd have to sit in court for every one just for it to be thrown out because the owner can provide a (fake or real) pic "proving" that they've removed the improper headlights. if not for that loophole i'd think it would be easy money for the city. and what officer doesn't want to help out his/her police district with some extra revenue?

but honestly, for a bixenon setup, it's pretty much a 4 step process.. 1) cut out the back of the housing just enough to fit the projector in, 2) rig up a way to mount the projector level in the housing (i used some 16ga steel wire and aluminum tape on my Z), seal up the back (also aluminum tape), then wire it up. throw a diode in there (current flow direction: FROM highbeam wire TO lowbeam wire) to allow the highbeam wire to keep the lowbeams (ie HID ballast) on when you are using highbeams and you're done, tho relays are a good idea if you know how to use them.
What projectors are you using?

IMO, for ~$60 on ebay for brand new in box Philips 85122 pair, there's no reason to use kit bulbs.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

What projectors are you using?

IMO, for ~$60 on ebay for brand new in box Philips 85122 pair, there's no reason to use kit bulbs.
hella e55's. not the best stuff in the world but it's my first time so i didn't want to mess up anything terribly expensive. once i'm more comfortable with the process i'll probably get something better and sell the ones i have now to another z owner. they aren't finished yet but they are far enough along to where it's clearly visible what the finished product will look like. i even test fitted them on the car. all pics are on my photobucket. i accidentally had white balance set to something bluish when i took some of the pics.. they are whiter than they look in the pic but still too blue for my liking. i had it wired up to my civic for the light test, so ignore the random pics of the stock halogens on the civic

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...xenon%20retro/
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 AM

Nice. E55 isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it is a pretty good projector, and has excellent high-beam performance as well.

I've ordered RS6 projectors for my next retrofit - they're the same design as E55, but the chrome on the bowls is shinier, which is supposed to help output a little bit.

BTW - those looking for a cheap retrofit solution, check out www.theretrofitsource.com "Morimoto Mini Projectors"
It's $135/pair. You install by baking open your headlights, then screwing the projector in through the bulb hole from the front. So there are no permanent changes made, and no cutting to be done. Throw in a $45 DDM H1 HID kit, and you've got yourself a $180 bi-xenon retrofit that has excellent performance.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Nice. E55 isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it is a pretty good projector, and has excellent high-beam performance as well.

I've ordered RS6 projectors for my next retrofit - they're the same design as E55, but the chrome on the bowls is shinier, which is supposed to help output a little bit.

BTW - those looking for a cheap retrofit solution, check out www.theretrofitsource.com "Morimoto Mini Projectors"
It's $135/pair. You install by baking open your headlights, then screwing the projector in through the bulb hole from the front. So there are no permanent changes made, and no cutting to be done. Throw in a $45 DDM H1 HID kit, and you've got yourself a $180 bi-xenon retrofit that has excellent performance.
i might just get those "Morimoto Mini Projectors".......seems easy enough
Old 04-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i might just get those "Morimoto Mini Projectors".......seems easy enough
yea it does actually. kinda makes me wish i knew about them for my z

anyways, if you do a projector retro, it's best to use the clear-glass'd Ebay headlights. the clear glass ones are ONLY good for retrofits tho, they are worthless if used with just a plain bulb. be super patient with the glue also.. better to be patient than to break the glass.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:57 PM

OK, I'm coming to you for the tips on my headlight upgrade on my Z when the time comes, but I need to make custom assemblies before I can do too much. PS Z32 headlight housings have the right height and width for the Z with the headlights down.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
OK, I'm coming to you for the tips on my headlight upgrade on my Z when the time comes, but I need to make custom assemblies before I can do too much. PS Z32 headlight housings have the right height and width for the Z with the headlights down.
since yours is a pre-87 just do what i did! no custom crap needed, just a set of 7x6 clears off ebay and some projectors. might cost you the ability to use the flip function, depending how deep they are. or those mini-projectors that nalc mentioned.. they might fit right into the bulb hole in the 7x6's (H4 is what mine came with)

Quick Reply: headlights?