3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Keypad suddenly does not respond

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Keypad suddenly does not respond

Not sure if its because of the cold/ snow weather here in NYC. But my keypad is not working at all. Whatever button I press, there is no beep response.

Anyone have a similar issue before?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM

mine does that, do the lock buttons inside work? neither my keypad nor the lock buttons inside work, went from working to only working when it was cold outside to not working, most likely you need a new door lock timer
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
mine does that, do the lock buttons inside work? neither my keypad nor the lock buttons inside work, went from working to only working when it was cold outside to not working, most likely you need a new door lock timer
the interior buttons still work. Very odd is it just worked went I went out, but then the 0 button stopped working and I couldn't unlock the car again. (My passcode consists of a 0)
Old 02-26-2010, 08:00 PM

When it's cold, the ST doesn't always work I need to press other buttons to "start" it then I can do my code.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
When it's cold, the ST doesn't always work I need to press other buttons to "start" it then I can do my code.
mine did that too always, i would hit some other button then ST and it would work

OP the other thing if your interior buttons work it could be some control, Matt93se i believe knows
Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 PM

In my case back then, if my car stands outside in the rain for a long time, the buttons will stop working. I would actually have to wait for a couple of days before the buttons would start to work agian. And that is the only way I can easily unlock my door because for some reason using the key on the driver side door will only lock the door, not unlock it.

I think in my case the buttons were not sealed very well so when moisture would go in it would cause the buttons to stop working and had to let it dry before it would start working again. I fixed that by replacing the buttons from a donor at the pick-a-part.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:14 AM

My keypad does not work either, I used to show off when it was hot outside, by letting other people see me unlock my doors and roll the windows down without even putting the key in the ignition. Now it does not work at all. All of my locks work but the key pad doesnt. So im assuming it cant be the door lock timer, but maybe the master switch that I swapped out, because my other master switch allowd the keypad to work, but not the locks, I had to manually lock all the doors.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 AM

Silly GXE's, who needs a keypad when you can use a coat hanger through the sunroof weather strip?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ve30max
Silly GXE's, who needs a keypad when you can use a coat hanger through the sunroof weather strip?
haha the keypad is so handy, if you wash your car in winter it doesnt matter if your locks freeze because you just need the keypad

i really need to get my keypad going again, i'm getting tired of using the key always
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM

haha the keypad is so handy, if you wash your car in winter it doesnt matter if your locks freeze because you just need the keypad

i really need to get my keypad going again, i'm getting tired of using the key always
yeah too convenient, I wish cars still came with them but it surely takes away from the 'styling'. You don't know how worry free I am of locking my keys accidentally in the trunk.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by gladiator
yeah too convenient, I wish cars still came with them but it surely takes away from the 'styling'. You don't know how worry free I am of locking my keys accidentally in the trunk.
i'm kinda thinking of getting shaved door handles too but thats another bag of bananas because if the doors dont open with the remote for whatever reason i cant get in lol

i like the look of the keypad and GXE's a a whole compared to SE's, IMO 3rd gens look better with no spoiler and the chrome around the windows is sweet
Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1991 maxima Key pad does not work

I am new to the board, and surprise to know that others are having the same problem.

My 1991 Nissan Maxima is in excellent shape in all aspect. Except my key pad stop functioning 2 days ago, meaning no sound, no light,and cannot enter any kind of master code or door key pad code which I already got from the compartment gold box, .

What cause it not to work?.............. I left the key in ACC while trying to charge me phone through the cigarette lighter. Locked the door and left it for 2 hours , than came back to unlock it with my 4 digit code on the key pad. Everything seemed fine then, until I went home, the key pad stop working anymore no beeping sound or light for the past few days.

It has also been raining every day for the last 3 days since it has not been working. The key pad does not work at times for limited time frame, but not sure if it was related to moisture as some has notice based on their experience.

I tried other solution such as locking the power lock switch from the inside, then inserting the key six times in and out of the ignition, then turn the key to ACC,.......this technique does not work since I do not have a transmitter.

I tried disconnecting the battery cable or took out the fuse for electonic battery related to the key pad, the light and beep sound on the key pad turns on for 3-5 second and then off, I tried inserting any code as fast as I can, but no luck.

The security alarm is functioning well.

I tried for 4-5 hours playing with it and no luck. I know the key pad is not damage everytime I disconnect the positive end of the battery cable and reconnect it back , the key pad beeps and light turns on for few seconds.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM

yea just a quick update again, keypad was working since my last post until two days ago.

It was raining the entire weekend and now the keypad does not respond at all again. I really think its water damage.

and just like jbbons25 said, I can't unlock the door with the key on drivers side. Have to go to the passenger side, then reach over to unlock. Very annoying. Can't find a spare keypad anywhere either!

Last edited by gladiator; 03-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM

you can get all of the doors open, at least on my 92 GXE you can. on the passenger side, turn the key once to the left to unlock only the passenger door, or put it back in the middle and turn it left again and all the doors will unlock. same on the drivers side, just turn it to the right
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM

you can get all of the doors open, at least on my 92 GXE you can. on the passenger side, turn the key once to the left to unlock only the passenger door, or put it back in the middle and turn it left again and all the doors will unlock. same on the drivers side, just turn it to the right
oh, its just the drivers side keyhole won't turn at all. Probably has to do with my locks then.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM

If the alarm disable switch on the passenger side keyhole of my max worked I would try that out but it doesn't. Back when both keypads didn't work after a storm, I would have to disable the alarm by "unlocking" the driver side first, then unlock the passenger door, then unlock the driver door from the other side.

Maybe I should go to the pick a part and get the replacement...or just fix the key problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1990 maxima wont lock with keypad

i have a 1990 nissan maxima and my doors wont lock with keypad. it works fine but it will keep beeping when i press 9 to lock the doors. and also when i close the door, the car will beep like the lights are on or door open. can someone please help
Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Are you talking about the chime behind the instrument cluster or the beepers on the doors when you press on the keypad?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gladiator
Not sure if its because of the cold/ snow weather here in NYC. But my keypad is not working at all. Whatever button I press, there is no beep response.

Anyone have a similar issue before?

Thanks
Yes, rain and everything else is affecting your keypad