3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM

motor oil

So I have been using Castrol Syntec in my Maxima (VG engine)

Recently I came across a hell of a deal for Castrol Syntec blend which is a blend of their GTX high mileage oil and syntec oil.

Is anyone familiar with these oils enough to say whether or not switching to Castrol Syntec Blend would be an upgrade....lateral move...or downgrade from what I currently run Castrol Syntec?

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Awhile back I bought 6 quarts of some Quaker State HD-30 for a dollar each. Did some research on HD oil and found out it's ideal for temperatures over 60 degrees or something, so I waited until summer to use it.

I'm guessing a blend of high mileage stuff and synthetic is better than a blend of synthetic and regular stuff which is what Syntec is right? Sounds like an upgrade to me.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 AM
I miss my VE

I don't know but Im a little skeptical of those 'high mileage' oils. I hear they do funny things to your seals.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 AM

hmm...Ill do some more searchin on the interwebz but if I try it out, Ill post some feedback.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 AM

i stick with regular motor oil its what the motor was built to run with and there aint none of those additives they put in them
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by 93MAXIgxe
i stick with regular motor oil its what the motor was built to run with and there aint none of those additives they put in them
yes, but the motors weren't intended to have 250+K Miles, either. quite a few here, do.
regardless, I was runing Valvoline high-mileage, thinking it was good for my engine. heard good things about Mobil1 full synth, and my engine ran better, got better mpg, etc. etc. only down side is it costs more per chagne, so I usually only do it every 3500 miles, or so (I can do that with synth safely)
Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

IMO, it makes little difference what brand/formulation of motor oil you use, as long as you change it regularly..
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
IMO, it makes little difference what brand/formulation of motor oil you use, as long as you change it regularly..
+1.... for every day cars i totally agree
Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 AM

It's all the same dead dinosaurs...... Though, I intend on using Mobil1 when I Get Max up and moving as a DD again.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Since the significant improvement in oils and the ability to mix dino with synth oils, I don't see the rationale behind buying a factory "blend." Nor is there reason to mix them.

IMO, it's marketing ploy...
Puts me to mind of HotDogs. They try to convince you it's real meat. The reality is that it is the scrap and leftovers from the quality stuff. So they profitt even from the garbage.

One or the other. Reality is, you are fine on good quality dino with the age and mileage of your car. You will see no benifit.

Side note: Wooo HOOO! 2k posts!

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 03-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Fox Body FTW

I've always used Mobil1 5,000 ever since I've been changing my own oil and haven't had any problems. Though I don't know what all jiffy lube and other oil places put in but I really don't have a basis for running that particular oil other than it's cheaper and gets the job done with no issues for me.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yes, but the motors weren't intended to have 250+K Miles, either. quite a few here, do.
regardless, I was runing Valvoline high-mileage, thinking it was good for my engine. heard good things about Mobil1 full synth, and my engine ran better, got better mpg, etc. etc. only down side is it costs more per chagne, so I usually only do it every 3500 miles, or so (I can do that with synth safely)

ya but mines only got 70 thousand km on the engine

What does full synthetic do anyways? i'm gonna guess it does the same thing as regular oil just its more expensive
Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 AM

As far as I know, synthetic just sticks more to where it needs to lubricate and it will not break down as quickly, hence pushing til 3500 miles isnt bad...with regular motor oil, your oil couild be like water by 3500 miles.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM

ya but mines only got 70 thousand km on the engine

What does full synthetic do anyways? i'm gonna guess it does the same thing as regular oil just its more expensive
Big difference when you cranking up in cold weather and if I have any sense, that's a big plus...oh that Amsoil feels good in the tranny too.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Amsoil I hear is great oil but expensive as F$%#. I heard of guys buying by the drum full and sharing the cost and the oil with other members....seems too much to deal with for me.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

fully synthetic oil molicules are like this: ------------ all lined up, conventional oil molicules are like this:

o o
o o o o not really uniform, that is why it synthetic frees up friction it doesn't "make h/p" it causes less friction in moving parts and is harder to break down than "dino" oil, I still woild never go over 4k with any oil even though mobile says 10,000 or whatever, mobile doesn't make motors, they test oil on new engines not 250k+ engines, and you are more likely to have oil leaks with synthetic beacause of its uniform nature and small molicules

hot rodder, I would put a gtx high milage 5-20 in there, yes 5-20 i run it and love the stuff

VEvolution, all the high milage stuff does is re-swell seals that it touches, thats why you are less typically to smoke and leak using it

GREENY you are correct it doesnt matter what you use if you change it your motor will last
Old 03-05-2010, 05:39 AM

that i did not know ill keep it in consideration once i got more money to spend on oil lol but for know ill just change it regularly like i do and it seems to be running beautifully
Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by hotrodder
So I have been using Castrol Syntec in my Maxima (VG engine)

Recently I came across a hell of a deal for Castrol Syntec blend which is a blend of their GTX high mileage oil and syntec oil.

Is anyone familiar with these oils enough to say whether or not switching to Castrol Syntec Blend would be an upgrade....lateral move...or downgrade from what I currently run Castrol Syntec?

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.
it is a downgrade from syntec
hierarchy goes like this

Synthetic
Synthetic Blend
Regular oil

ALL oil has additives in order to meet the API spec on the bottle and you need to run a minimum API spec in any car produced since 1930 orso

For all automotive engines currently
in use. Introduced November 30, 2004,
SM oils are designed to provide improved
oxidation resistance, improved deposit
protection, better wear protection, and
better low-temperature performance over
the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also
meet the latest ILSAC specification
and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.
SL
For 2004 and older automotive engines.
SJ
For 2001 and older automotive engines.
SH
For 1996 and older engines. Valid when
preceded by current C categories.
SG
For 1993 and older engines.
SF
For 1988 and older engines.
SE
CAUTION—Not suitable for use in
gasoline-powered automotive engines
built after 1979.
SD
built after 1971. Use in more modern
engines may cause unsatisfactory
performance or equipment harm.
SC
built after 1967. Use in more modern
SB
built after 1963. Use in more modern
SA
CAUTION—Contains no additives. Not
suitable for use in gasoline-powered
automotive engines built after 1930.
Use in modern engines may cause
unsatisfactory engine performance
or equipment harm.

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Since the significant improvement in oils and the ability to mix dino with synth oils, I don't see the rationale behind buying a factory "blend." Nor is there reason to mix them.

IMO, it's marketing ploy...
Puts me to mind of HotDogs. They try to convince you it's real meat. The reality is that it is the scrap and leftovers from the quality stuff. So they profitt even from the garbage.

One or the other. Reality is, you are fine on good quality dino with the age and mileage of your car. You will see no benifit.

Side note: Wooo HOOO! 2k posts!
some hot dogs are real meat, or were. Company WOOBed early 09.

Originally Posted by nissannoo b
fully synthetic oil molicules are like this: ------------ all lined up, conventional oil molicules are like this:

o o
o o o o not really uniform, that is why it synthetic frees up friction it doesn't "make h/p" it causes less friction in moving parts and is harder to break down than "dino" oil, I still woild never go over 4k with any oil even though mobile says 10,000 or whatever, mobile doesn't make motors, they test oil on new engines not 250k+ engines, and you are more likely to have oil leaks with synthetic beacause of its uniform nature and small molicules

hot rodder, I would put a gtx high milage 5-20 in there, yes 5-20 i run it and love the stuff

VEvolution, all the high milage stuff does is re-swell seals that it touches, thats why you are less typically to smoke and leak using it

GREENY you are correct it doesnt matter what you use if you change it your motor will last
ALL 5w20 is semi synthetic.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:02 PM

I like the Castrol oils, I have used either mobil 1 full syn or castrol syn blend in every car i have had for the last 5 years or so. for the most part it doesnt matter much what oil you use as long as you change it regularly. I think the filter is the more important part of the equation.

the moral of the story is, if you found a great deal go ahead and use it
Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
I like the Castrol oils, I have used either mobil 1 full syn or castrol syn blend in every car i have had for the last 5 years or so. for the most part it doesnt matter much what oil you use as long as you change it regularly. I think the filter is the more important part of the equation.

the moral of the story is, if you found a great deal go ahead and use it
27.00 for 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec and a Bosch Distance Plus oil filter...or 20.00 for 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec Blend and a Purolator Pure One oil filter sounds good to me.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by AM_BlackMax
I've always used Mobil1 5,000 ever since I've been changing my own oil and haven't had any problems. Though I don't know what all jiffy lube and other oil places put in but I really don't have a basis for running that particular oil other than it's cheaper and gets the job done with no issues for me.
castrol 5w 30 is what these small quick lube shops use unless you buy the synthetic stuff which they will get for you but have to pay over $80 for the oil plus the service and its obviously mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM

I bought 5qt of Pennzoil full synthetic at Walmart for $23.00 yesterday...can't beat that with a stick.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 03-09-2010 at 10:19 PM.