3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Friend needs VE help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 AM
I miss my VE

Friend needs VE help

Good day to you, my 3rd gen brethren. I hope everyone is doing fine.

The VE I sold to my friend continues to pummel him with new issues weekly, so he needs help. He still didn't have time to get around to getting on the forum, so Im hopefully posting this last one for him..

Hes got 2 main issues.

1) The most important problem he just recently started having is shifting. As some of you may know he put in a used tranny a few months back with around 90k on it, and put about 2k miles on it so far. A new duralast clutch as well. I've tested this tranny out and it felt like I was driving a brand new VE. But lately he claims it won't go into gear and he has to keep reclutching and playing with the gears before he can put it in, and claims as he accelerates the whole car starts to shake till he gets to a higher RPM, but I think that has to do with his other problems I will get to in a sec. He says his RPMs are all over the place and he would control them with the clutch to calm them down. So my guess is either something with the slave cylinder or input shaft bearing(hope not)? Since I've never experienced either problem on any car, I don't know the symptoms. I've also not examined the car, so Im only going by what hes telling me.

2) Hes got a plugged up hole where the o2 goes, waiting on a warpspeed, a dirty throttle body, and dirty iacv.. Hes also driving around without a gas cap. So all those things combined are probably causing his RPMs to play games with him, not the tranny right? Im just asking to settle his mind when he reads this. I already know, but he wants to hear it from you guys.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 AM

Why doesn't your friend just open an account? Much easier to solve problems when the actual person who's experiencing them is the one asking questions and giving descriptions. I actually feel bad for you, it's never a good idea to sell cars to friends, never stops being your problem.

Go check the car out for him, make sure the slave cylinder is operating, that there's enough fluid in the system and make sure the clutch is disengaging. If everything is fine with the clutch system, well guess what? He has an internal transmission problem which is exactly why I recommended fixing the original tranny instead of throwing a used one in there.

Too much vague info to diagnose over the net. Take a look, try to help, tell him it's the last time because it's not your car anymore and if he wants to try and get answers for his problems then sign up himself or take the car to a mechanic.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 AM
STFU n00b!

You're friend is a tard if he keeps driving the car like that.
1. LEARN TO DRIVE. He's going to ruin that new tranny and clutch driving like that.
2. put a gas cap on it. They're like $10 at the parts store. gonna fill the tank with water due to the spring weather with all the temp fluctuations and humidity (at least around here it's 30 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon, with 80% humidity. gas tanks will get water in them in just a couple days of that kind of weather if you don't keep them sealed.)

3. get an O2 sensor in it before it winds up toasting the cat.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your friend shouldnt be driving the car as indicated above.

If the car is turned off, can he get change all the gears without any issues? Chances are he can based on your earlier claim of it shifting like new. Bleed the clutch system again and hopefully it will solve the issues. I had a similiar issue with my car last Nov. and parked it until three weeks ago. Turns out the system needed to be bled again.

On a second note, if he doesnt have a spare key, have him cut one. I misplaced the keys to 4 vehicles, two of which are Maximas last mnth. The dealer only has key codes from 95 and up and the sticker thats supposedly behind/on the glove box was missing.

Have him contact me (I'm in Queens/Bx) if he needs any parts as I currently have 2 VE5 that will eventually be parted (when time permits) and one is very modded.

GL.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Hectic
Why doesn't your friend just open an account? Much easier to solve problems when the actual person who's experiencing them is the one asking questions and giving descriptions. I actually feel bad for you, it's never a good idea to sell cars to friends, never stops being your problem.

Go check the car out for him, make sure the slave cylinder is operating, that there's enough fluid in the system and make sure the clutch is disengaging. If everything is fine with the clutch system, well guess what? He has an internal transmission problem which is exactly why I recommended fixing the original tranny instead of throwing a used one in there.

Too much vague info to diagnose over the net. Take a look, try to help, tell him it's the last time because it's not your car anymore and if he wants to try and get answers for his problems then sign up himself or take the car to a mechanic.
Yeaah, hes taking his sweet jolly time with opening an account. This may as well be the last time I sell a car to a friend, but then again, I kinda like still having it around. Im doing some work to my own car, so I can't use it for now to go look at his, and hes not really driving his. He just said that the clutch pedal behaves normally..

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
You're friend is a tard if he keeps driving the car like that.
1. LEARN TO DRIVE. He's going to ruin that new tranny and clutch driving like that.
2. put a gas cap on it. They're like $10 at the parts store. gonna fill the tank with water due to the spring weather with all the temp fluctuations and humidity (at least around here it's 30 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon, with 80% humidity. gas tanks will get water in them in just a couple days of that kind of weather if you don't keep them sealed.)

3. get an O2 sensor in it before it winds up toasting the cat.
Lol, yeah I was telling him that he cant drive without the gas cap. I remember these systems are pressurized. And hes been saving up for the warpspeed, o2 sensor, and some other stuff so that should be fixed soon. I'll clean his throttle body/iavc as well one of these days.

Texas goes as low as 30!? Wow.. It hasnt been that cold here in the last few days.

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
Your friend shouldnt be driving the car as indicated above.

If the car is turned off, can he get change all the gears without any issues? Chances are he can based on your earlier claim of it shifting like new. Bleed the clutch system again and hopefully it will solve the issues. I had a similiar issue with my car last Nov. and parked it until three weeks ago. Turns out the system needed to be bled again.

On a second note, if he doesnt have a spare key, have him cut one. I misplaced the keys to 4 vehicles, two of which are Maximas last mnth. The dealer only has key codes from 95 and up and the sticker thats supposedly behind/on the glove box was missing.

Have him contact me (I'm in Queens/Bx) if he needs any parts as I currently have 2 VE5 that will eventually be parted (when time permits) and one is very modded.

GL.
Yeah he stopped driving it for a week already. Hes gonna go check how the car shifts when it's off.

He actually may need some stuff.. Do you have a thread out there wit what ur selling? If not PM with the goodies. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 PM

oh yeah here in san antonio, tx it was like 20-something a few days ago. gotta get use to this texas weather. he needs to stop being cheap and just buy a damn gas cap. i recently had to fix a 2010 BMW M3 due to this. only 58 miles on the damn car and this is what i had to do:

scanned it, got a bunch of faults for misfires in all cylinders.
followed a test plan to remove intake assembly and check for ground for coils in bank 2
then checked for a suppression capacitor in the wire harness.
then i got tired and just swapped coils from bank 1 to bank 2.
then i had to drain all the fuel out of the tank
take out both pumps and dry out the fuel tank
put all back together and cleaned out spark plugs
went to go put fuel additive and guess what the damn fuel cap was missing the whole time
that explains all the damn water in the tank.
anyways put all back together drove the dog **** out of it for 15 miles and now its perfect to be sold to its first owner who i will feel sorry for down the road.

so tell him to just spend the money on the gas cap before water gets in there.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
oh yeah here in san antonio, tx it was like 20-something a few days ago. gotta get use to this texas weather. he needs to stop being cheap and just buy a damn gas cap. i recently had to fix a 2010 BMW M3 due to this. only 58 miles on the damn car and this is what i had to do:

scanned it, got a bunch of faults for misfires in all cylinders.
followed a test plan to remove intake assembly and check for ground for coils in bank 2
then checked for a suppression capacitor in the wire harness.
then i got tired and just swapped coils from bank 1 to bank 2.
then i had to drain all the fuel out of the tank
take out both pumps and dry out the fuel tank
put all back together and cleaned out spark plugs
went to go put fuel additive and guess what the damn fuel cap was missing the whole time
that explains all the damn water in the tank.
anyways put all back together drove the dog **** out of it for 15 miles and now its perfect to be sold to its first owner who i will feel sorry for down the road.

so tell him to just spend the money on the gas cap before water gets in there.
mmmmmm musta been a pleasure working on that engine, eh? is that intake made out of plastic too? mine is "reinforced plastic" on my 330xi.. your a bmw tech? i was interested in getting into it..

Yeah hes kinda young and new to owning a car, and may I add very low on cash, so it's a project when ever he needs something for it.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
mmmmmm musta been a pleasure working on that engine, eh? is that intake made out of plastic too? mine is "reinforced plastic" on my 330xi.. your a bmw tech? i was interested in getting into it..

Yeah hes kinda young and new to owning a car, and may I add very low on cash, so it's a project when ever he needs something for it.
oh yeah, it was nice to actually work on it. and yeah the intake should be the same as your 330xi. very light plastic too. individual throttles just like the M5 and M6. a bit of a pain but easy in some ways. yes im a bmw tech for bmw of san antonio. just moved here from miami to take up on this opportunity. if you're interested go for it, its kinda fun when you get sent for training out to South Carolina and Georgia and they use to send techs to Florida but the school in florida got closed down.

I understand where this is going with your friend but he needs to understand that he needs to buy the cheap stuff first before going off and buy expensive mods knowing that he needs to take care of the easy cheap stuff first.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Way out West

The transmission thing should be somewhat easy to figure out if you just pay close attention to what it is doing.

If the clutch pedal is soft, getting some play in it and not engaging in the middle or top, it is likely the slave or master cylinder. For example, he has trouble getting the trans into gear because the pedal isn't fully disengaging when he pushes in the pedal.

Otherwise, it is probably the input shaft bearings or the synchros. Screwing around with it like he does it seems likely that one of these is the answer.

I would tell him to stop driving the damn thing until all of the other problems are corrected. At least put a freaking gas cap on it.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I miss my VE

Well he just told me the other day that it shifts perfectly fine when the car is off. Goes through the gears like butter. But when it's on it wants to force him out. He also says it feels like hes pushing through very thick fluid inside. I wonder what kind of crap they used at the mechanic shop he had it done at. I really hope it's not his tranny, poor guy.

oh yeah, it was nice to actually work on it. and yeah the intake should be the same as your 330xi. very light plastic too. individual throttles just like the M5 and M6. a bit of a pain but easy in some ways. yes im a bmw tech for bmw of san antonio. just moved here from miami to take up on this opportunity. if you're interested go for it, its kinda fun when you get sent for training out to South Carolina and Georgia and they use to send techs to Florida but the school in florida got closed down.

I understand where this is going with your friend but he needs to understand that he needs to buy the cheap stuff first before going off and buy expensive mods knowing that he needs to take care of the easy cheap stuff first.
Thats good for you man. Good luck with it. Might you know their qualification requirements? I remember 2 years back I applied to the one a few blocks away from my house and never got a response. I have a certificate from a tech school(1 year) and 2 years in autoglass. I think it will be hard getting into one of these dealerships anywhere now. I hear they are firing, not hiring.

Well getting the Warpspeed kinda takes care of his flex pipe issue as well, along with the hole in the o2 section. Plus its one of the best VE mods for only a bit more. The OE pipes we were looking at seem to be in the 150$ range compared to the 199$ warpspeed.

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
The transmission thing should be somewhat easy to figure out if you just pay close attention to what it is doing.

If the clutch pedal is soft, getting some play in it and not engaging in the middle or top, it is likely the slave or master cylinder. For example, he has trouble getting the trans into gear because the pedal isn't fully disengaging when he pushes in the pedal.

Otherwise, it is probably the input shaft bearings or the synchros. Screwing around with it like he does it seems likely that one of these is the answer.

I would tell him to stop driving the damn thing until all of the other problems are corrected. At least put a freaking gas cap on it.
at least put a gas cap on it. Well said. Poor car and poor guy. So you think its probably the slave or master cylinder since when teh car is off it shifts fine?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Well he just told me the other day that it shifts perfectly fine when the car is off. Goes through the gears like butter. But when it's on it wants to force him out. He also says it feels like hes pushing through very thick fluid inside. I wonder what kind of crap they used at the mechanic shop he had it done at. I really hope it's not his tranny, poor guy.

Thats good for you man. Good luck with it. Might you know their qualification requirements? I remember 2 years back I applied to the one a few blocks away from my house and never got a response. I have a certificate from a tech school(1 year) and 2 years in autoglass. I think it will be hard getting into one of these dealerships anywhere now. I hear they are firing, not hiring.

Well getting the Warpspeed kinda takes care of his flex pipe issue as well, along with the hole in the o2 section. Plus its one of the best VE mods for only a bit more. The OE pipes we were looking at seem to be in the 150$ range compared to the 199$ warpspeed.

at least put a gas cap on it. Well said. Poor car and poor guy. So you think its probably the slave or master cylinder since when teh car is off it shifts fine?
you have to go and apply again but ask for the service director in the service department and that way you can talk to him directly and he or she should let you know if they are hiring. i know over here they are hiring.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I miss my VE

you have to go and apply again but ask for the service director in the service department and that way you can talk to him directly and he or she should let you know if they are hiring. i know over here they are hiring.
Thanks for the tip. I did hear you need ASE's.. The more the better. I have none. I doubt they will take me with out any.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. I did hear you need ASE's.. The more the better. I have none. I doubt they will take me with out any.
you don't need ASE's for BMW. they send you to their own school for training and they certify with BMW certifications. they don't ask for ASE at all.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I miss my VE

you don't need ASE's for BMW. they send you to their own school for training and they certify with BMW certifications. they don't ask for ASE at all.
Really?? Wow good to know. That just gave me a boost.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Really?? Wow good to know. That just gave me a boost.
yeah BMW doesn't care if you have all your ASE's or none at all, either way they don't care for ASE's they just care to send you to their training schools and they certify you and thats it. good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I miss my VE

yeah BMW doesn't care if you have all your ASE's or none at all, either way they don't care for ASE's they just care to send you to their training schools and they certify you and thats it. good luck.
thanks pal
ill let you know if I get in
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I miss my VE

My friend finally got a brand spankin' new Warpspeed Ypipe on the car today with a new o2 sensor. Car runs great, especially once you get into the higher RPM range. Hes already put a UDP on and a ypipe in a few months of owning the car. I think the only mods I've put on it in 2 years I've owned it, was a nice sound system and an AE shiftknob

Kinda made me wanna trade in my BMW for it so I could just experience those mods for a little while longer

Now I gotta clean his throttle body and IACV, seafoam it, and I can't wait to see the results! Wish we had dyno shops around here to check out the progress..