3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 Max overhaul..the plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 PM

93 Max overhaul..the plan

So, I am having trans problems with my 93 GXE. I know there are FAAAAAARR better cars out there to put money into but I like this car and I want it to live again so, I am overhauling it while its down.

I bought a parts car for 400.00 with 72K miles on it. It has a perfect motor and trans so Im taking its trans out and putting it in mine. Ill be taking 3 of the parts cars' doors and the fenders, hood, and trunk lid and getting them restored/painted while my 93 is under the knife getting its motor and trans pulled. Ill be replacing all of the front end wear items and re-gasketing the entire motor from the ground up. Also planning on replacing the timing belt and water pump while its out. Ill be taking the fuel injectors out of the parts car and putting them in mine because they all ohm out fine and mine all ohm out bad lol. While the engine and trans are out, I plan on replacing the power steering lines and fuel lines up front as well. On top of that, the entire engine bay is getting de-greased and sprayed black to give the appearance of it being all new.

With this plan layed out....I ask the gurus this: I plan on replacing all of the suspension wear items and replacing the struts (from a member here but havent bought them yet) with Tokicos and stock springs. I need to know what all of the wear items on the front end are. I know of the ball joints and the sway bar end links. Im actually thinking of going with an upgraded sway bar anyway so what should I replace? Im used to old muscle cars so those are easy...this car, Im not really sure what typically wears. A list of items to replace would be spectacular.

Also, for the parts car, I somehow have to get its trans out without a cherry picker. Is it absolutely necessary to have a cherry picker to suspend the motor to get the trans out or is there a way to pull it easier?

Anyway, that should do it for now, enough questions and info for until I can get into it more.

After all the mechanical stuff is done, Ill have the shell painted and she will be purring like a kitten and looking sexy again.

Thanks in advance

P.S. anyone want to help? lol And also, when Im done stripping what I need, anyone want the shell? Its rusty but good for mock ups or whatever and it will be free if you come haul it away. Wont be for a while though since at this moment, Im working alone on this.

Last edited by hotrodder; 03-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by hotrodder
So, I am having trans problems with my 93 GXE. I know there are FAAAAAARR better cars out there to put money into but I like this car and I want it to live again so, I am overhauling it while its down.
It's a Maxima - is there better... lol
I bought a parts car for 400.00 with 72K miles on it. It has a perfect motor and trans so Im taking its trans out and putting it in mine. Ill be taking 3 of the parts cars' doors and the fenders, hood, and trunk lid and getting them restored/painted while my 93 is under the knife getting its motor and trans pulled. Ill be replacing all of the front end wear items and re-gasketing the entire motor from the ground up. Also planning on replacing the timing belt and water pump while its out. Ill be taking the fuel injectors out of the parts car and putting them in mine because they all ohm out fine and mine all ohm out bad lol. While the engine and trans are out, I plan on replacing the power steering lines and fuel lines up front as well. On top of that, the entire engine bay is getting de-greased and sprayed black to give the appearance of it being all new.

With this plan layed out....I ask the gurus this: I plan on replacing all of the suspension wear items and replacing the struts (from a member here but havent bought them yet) with Tokicos and stock springs. I need to know what all of the wear items on the front end are. I know of the ball joints and the sway bar end links. Im actually thinking of going with an upgraded sway bar anyway so what should I replace? Im used to old muscle cars so those are easy...this car, Im not really sure what typically wears. A list of items to replace would be spectacular.
I'd go with a better sway bar, especially if the new springs will lower your ride height.
Also, for the parts car, I somehow have to get its trans out without a cherry picker. Is it absolutely necessary to have a cherry picker to suspend the motor to get the trans out or is there a way to pull it easier?
You could use a bar across the top of the engine (it must be strong enough to support the engine - use a jack to raise the engine as needed - chain engine to bar - not the safest but it works in a pinch - better if you have a way to connect the bar to the car unibody...
Anyway, that should do it for now, enough questions and info for until I can get into it more.

After all the mechanical stuff is done, Ill have the shell painted and she will be purring like a kitten and looking sexy again.

Thanks in advance

P.S. anyone want to help? lol And also, when Im done stripping what I need, anyone want the shell? Its rusty but good for mock ups or whatever and it will be free if you come haul it away. Wont be for a while though since at this moment, Im working alone on this.
If you lived in my area - I'd be all up in there...
Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 PM

Where are you from?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
If you lived in my area - I'd be all up in there...
Thanks for the comments and all...Ill look into using the bar like you suggested.

Originally Posted by Gunther
Where are you from?
I guess this might be an important part haha...Im in Naperville, a Chicago suburb.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 AM

Typical wear and tear items would be front control arm bushings, motor mounts, shocks, tie rod end, rack and pinion bushing and sometimes the rear link system. Thats rubber bushings for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 AM

That 74k mile Maxima had better be totaled beyond repair. If not you're thinking *** backwards.

You don't need a hoist to pull the transmission. Helps to have a nice floor jack, but i'm 5"5 130 and have pulled a manual tranny with nothing but hand tools. Once you remove the tranny mount, there will be enough clearance to pull it out. But at least support the engine with the tire jack and a slab of particle board to keep it from hanging at too much of an angle.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-17-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
That 74k mile Maxima had better be totaled beyond repair. If not you're thinking *** backwards.

You don't need a hoist to pull the transmission. Helps to have a nice floor jack, but i'm 5"5 130 and have pulled a manual tranny with nothing but hand tools. Once you remove the tranny mount, there will be enough clearance to pull it out. But at least support the engine with the tire jack and a slab of particle board to keep it from hanging at too much of an angle.
Its a 72K mile max and it is pretty beat up. The right rear was involved in a minor accident so the right rear door is messed up and the rear fender is a little messed up but the car in general is very rusty..it has rot in both rear corners front and back of wheel wells and rust at the tops of both front and rear windows. the right rear wheel, hub and all was knocked off of the strut and car entirely. Then the guy was going to part the car so he cut the brake lines, sway bar, and a link in the rear end to fully remove the wheel....cut some more lines under the hood to get ready to pull the motor, and started disconnecting a lot for the part out. So, all in all, the car is just in waaaay worse condition than my 93 overall. Trust me, I would save a low mileage 3rd gen in good condition over my high mileage 3rd gen in fair condition any day.

Good to know about the trans..so you dont have to remove the subframe to get it out? I had to on both other FWD cars Ive pulled transmissions on.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Naw Idt its neccesary
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM

good to hear...I hope youre right Thanks for the tips on the front end gear too.