3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE accident :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I miss my VE

VE accident :-(

My poor baby has been crashed

Kinda knew it was coming but wasn't sure when..

My friend(who bought my VE) was headed to six flags yesterday morning and traffic instantly slowed and before he realized it the lady in the front of him with her Accord slammed on her brakes forcing him to do the same. Hes been needing rear brakes and tires for the longest time now so Im not really blaming anything on him. So he ended up smashing into her rear at about 45mph. Damages aren't too bad, I'll post a pic once I get a chance to take one.

Since hes short on cash, hes not really gonna be getting anything new, but he does need the upper frame straighened which I can't do for him. I will just be doing his radiator, condensor, and fans perhaps. Fans look like they can still be saved. The upper frame looks pretty mangeled, but the lower one looks fine and Im pretty sure the rad supports are still aligned. A local gypsy scouted us out while I was observing the damages by his house. Says he could straighten it all out for $300 and put a few screws in the mangeled bumper, straighten the fenders up, and hood to make it close. BUT at the same time the local shop wants $500 just to straigten the frame and claims nothing can be done without a new bumper support. What the hell does that mean? Could the bumper support be pushed in so badly that it won't allow the new rad and condensor to sit in place? Cause all I see is just the upper frame being in the way. Could the gypsy guy just pull that out without buying a new one?

What is the bumper support anyway? Is it that long metal bar behind the bumper? I don't even have the FSM anymore cause I gave it to my friend along with the car.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM
STFU n00b!

Don't wanna be rude, but here's my advice:
Walk away... don't look back... walk away..
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'm gonna agree with this..
Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
I agree with this also - been there done that.. still see two of my cars around town, looking beat down.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

If it wasn't a friend (another reason not to sell to friends or family), I would agree, too.

Since it's a friend, try to think of it as a girlfriend who broke up with you in middle school, and now that you are an adult (right?) it was just another girl.
it should help keep you objective, and the situation less painful.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Buy a VG shell and swap it over. I see a lot of good looking VG's with blown motors and tranny all over the place at give away prices. That's what I'm doing as we speak.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 04-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 PM

The bumper rail claim is probably false. Even if it's bent slightly, a straight bumper will probably slide right in and bolt up. But yeah tell you're friend it's his car now and wish him good luck. Seems like you're spending more time worrying about your car now that it belongs to someone else.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

this is why i'm parting my GXE out and sending it to a junkyard instead of letting someone else mess it up.

already made the mistake letting a friend "buy" my 89 SE for a mere $1000 except that he never paid for it, rear ended a pickup truck 9 months later, then gave it back, totalled, as though his debt were absolved. Maybe if he'd changed his brakes and bought new tires like i told him he needed to when he first got the car, instead of buying a $200 necklace for his girlfriend, a brand new high-end gaming computer, and other crap, he might not have wrecked it.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I miss my VE

Pics

Originally Posted by Greeny
Originally Posted by SiathLinux
I agree with this also - been there done that.. still see two of my cars around town, looking beat down.

Originally Posted by BenStoked
If it wasn't a friend (another reason not to sell to friends or family), I would agree, too.

Since it's a friend, try to think of it as a girlfriend who broke up with you in middle school, and now that you are an adult (right?) it was just another girl.
it should help keep you objective, and the situation less painful.
Hehe interesting way of looking at it, except I've had some really "special" moments with this car that are really hard to let go of

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Buy a VG shell and swap it over. I see a lot of good looking VG's with blown motors and tranny all over the place at give away prices. That's what I'm doing as we speak.
Nice idea, but its not something he has the resources to accomplish. Also rust is getting pretty bad in some places of the car which is another reason to get a different shell.

Originally Posted by Hectic
The bumper rail claim is probably false. Even if it's bent slightly, a straight bumper will probably slide right in and bolt up. But yeah tell you're friend it's his car now and wish him good luck. Seems like you're spending more time worrying about your car now that it belongs to someone else.
Hope your right about the bumper rail(bumper support?). I sometimes just wanna let my friend handle everything on his own, but if I could help without it being much trouble, I don't really mind. I also remember how many noob mistakes I made when I was a new driver with my first car, so Im kinda trying to give him help and advice I wasn't so lucky to have.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
this is why i'm parting my GXE out and sending it to a junkyard instead of letting someone else mess it up.

already made the mistake letting a friend "buy" my 89 SE for a mere $1000 except that he never paid for it, rear ended a pickup truck 9 months later, then gave it back, totalled, as though his debt were absolved. Maybe if he'd changed his brakes and bought new tires like i told him he needed to when he first got the car, instead of buying a $200 necklace for his girlfriend, a brand new high-end gaming computer, and other crap, he might not have wrecked it.
You were way too nice to have let him not pay you for it. This person would not be my friend anymore, except I would have takin the car from him long ago.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:04 AM

Should have never sold that guy the car.

Look shes frowning.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Should have never sold that guy the car

The only logical thing to do at this point is to part it out. Ya wouldn't sell me ther car but I'll be nice and take some stuff off of it. Once upon a time I sold a car to a friend of mine and he killed my car, so I been callin him the Grim Reaper ever since. BTW you had me laughing with the blocked out tags. We're going to miss you, unless you get yourself another 3rd gen.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by VEvolution
You were way too nice to have let him not pay you for it. This person would not be my friend anymore, except I would have takin the car from him long ago.
problem is, I have no legal proof that he owes me money for it. the car was never titled in my name.. i got the car w/ a blown t-belt from someone else, fixed it, and then the title went straight to matt. so if i took him to court they'd ask for proof that the car was ever "mine", of which there is none. so i couldn't just "take it back" because as far as the law was concerned, HE "bought" it from the pervious owner, not me.

trust me... i didn't like letting him get away with it. if i had my druthers, i'd sock him in the jaw so hard he'd never eat or speak properly again. but that would cause more problems than it would fix.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-04-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My poor baby has been crashed

Kinda knew it was coming but wasn't sure when..

My friend(who bought my VE) was headed to six flags yesterday morning and traffic instantly slowed and before he realized it the lady in the front of him with her Accord slammed on her brakes forcing him to do the same. Hes been needing rear brakes and tires for the longest time now so Im not really blaming anything on him. So he ended up smashing into her rear at about 45mph. Damages aren't too bad, I'll post a pic once I get a chance to take one.

Since hes short on cash, hes not really gonna be getting anything new, but he does need the upper frame straighened which I can't do for him. I will just be doing his radiator, condensor, and fans perhaps. Fans look like they can still be saved. The upper frame looks pretty mangeled, but the lower one looks fine and Im pretty sure the rad supports are still aligned. A local gypsy scouted us out while I was observing the damages by his house. Says he could straighten it all out for $300 and put a few screws in the mangeled bumper, straighten the fenders up, and hood to make it close. BUT at the same time the local shop wants $500 just to straigten the frame and claims nothing can be done without a new bumper support. What the hell does that mean? Could the bumper support be pushed in so badly that it won't allow the new rad and condensor to sit in place? Cause all I see is just the upper frame being in the way. Could the gypsy guy just pull that out without buying a new one?

What is the bumper support anyway? Is it that long metal bar behind the bumper? I don't even have the FSM anymore cause I gave it to my friend along with the car.
Your car misses you hence all the issues with the current owner.

I spoke briefly with your friend yesterday, however, I didnt realize so many parts are needed. If I recall correctly, your car also has rust issues. I have a 92 VE5 zero rust, accident free shell which has been parked for 3 plus years awaiting a DEK (stored in the BX), or I can provide most of the parts including the radiator / bumper support, hood, condensor and lights from my 94VE5 (in Queens). Additionally, I have a host of performance parts if he's interested.

Please stop by with him,I'm five mins from Van Wyck/Linden.

Thx
Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

You know when the black jack dealers show their hands at a shift change? That's what you need to do
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM

I can understand the emotional attachment to the car, you spent a lot of time working on the car, a lot of time enjoying the car and now it sits there dying and you feel you know the car well enough that you can revive it. So here's the truth of the matter, you should have never sold it with that kind of attachment to the car, and you said he doesn't have the resources to buy a new shell, but he's considering the $500 just to fix the frame. I've seen 3rd gen Max's go for $500 or less that have blown heads or just a bad engine in general. Hell, some people have one sitting around they didn't intend on selling but offer cash and they will. I know a guy who posts on CL that he wants a certain type of car and is willing to pay cash for it, and it doesn't need to run, drive, etc. and he gets some that are in great shape with blown engine for $300, then he gets some that the drivetrain is great but the body is crap, all said and done he ends up with enough options to make complete cars and sell them for $3-5000. Point being put a wanted add on CL that you need a Max and it doesn't need to run and see who contacts you then weed through the options.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
I can understand the emotional attachment to the car, you spent a lot of time working on the car, a lot of time enjoying the car and now it sits there dying and you feel you know the car well enough that you can revive it. So here's the truth of the matter, you should have never sold it with that kind of attachment to the car, and you said he doesn't have the resources to buy a new shell, but he's considering the $500 just to fix the frame. I've seen 3rd gen Max's go for $500 or less that have blown heads or just a bad engine in general. Hell, some people have one sitting around they didn't intend on selling but offer cash and they will. I know a guy who posts on CL that he wants a certain type of car and is willing to pay cash for it, and it doesn't need to run, drive, etc. and he gets some that are in great shape with blown engine for $300, then he gets some that the drivetrain is great but the body is crap, all said and done he ends up with enough options to make complete cars and sell them for $3-5000. Point being put a wanted add on CL that you need a Max and it doesn't need to run and see who contacts you then weed through the options.
I bought a rust free shell for $200 and sold the engine (VG30) that came with it for $100. Now that the weather is good both of you can swap the engine and gear box. Just drop everything fully assembled out the bottom. Easy.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
STFU n00b!

This engine is leaking oil and the tranny is damaged too. don't even both doing the labor to swap it. just grab the remainder of what's good on the car and move on. let the junkyard take this one. emotional attachments are one thing. stupidity is another. this car is beyond fixing if the frame is bent, needs an entire front end, a transmission AND an engine.. Just stop while you're ahead. cut your losses and walk away. It sucks, but that's life.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I miss my VE

2 gypsies and $205 later..

They even included black spray paint, radiator poxy fix, and a joke while I was filling up the radiator with water.. "What kind of water do you put into a water bed in the winter...? Spring water!"

So yeah, they straightened everything as best they could using some interesting metal wire tool that hooks one end to the frame and the other end to their Lincoln Town car. Then they work the tool to pull everything out with the leverage of their car. Oh, and a hammer. They also took breaks to call out to other drivers passing by "Body work!"

My friend also said that hes planning on being "Maxima of the month" for 4 straight months with this exclusive body work.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 PM

lmao the car looks like it had a stroke on the right side
Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by chrome91
lmao the car looks like it had a stroke on the right side
thats probably the screw they put into the hood for extra latch protection
Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

at least this VE didn't totally bite the dust! good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Looks like this car is well on its way to becoming "The Maxima That Never Dies" just like the Toyota truck on an episode of Top Gear.

How To Kill A Toyota Pick Up Truck
Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by All*Pro
Looks like this car is well on its way to becoming "The Maxima That Never Dies" just like the Toyota truck on an episode of Top Gear.

How To Kill A Toyota Pick Up Truck
hope your right

we are in the process of adding lights all around that are in decent shape, followed by a radiator, fans, and condensor

Last edited by VEvolution; 04-13-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
mod or sell?

he deserved it.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
he deserved it.
lol why do you say that?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

If this was a TV show we could call it "Two Guys and a Maxima" delightful comedy.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
If this was a TV show we could call it "Two Guys and a Maxima" delightful comedy.
Oh man, you have no idea..

You should see my other show.. "One poor guy, one poor BMW engine" That ones a drama. Real tear jerker..

Last edited by VEvolution; 04-15-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
STFU n00b!

poor guys shouldn't own BMWs. that never ends well.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I miss my VE

poor guys shouldn't own BMWs. that never ends well.
this is true
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
STFU n00b!

Some people call me Spock. (the rest call me an arsehole!)
Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I miss my VE

Hehe, your ok in my book, Spock.

some people called Spock an a-hole as well
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 PM

It's ok, some call me Richard, but most call me ****, and you are right, never ends well, well almost never. My cousin works for a shop that builds race engines, he's a machinist, and he got an old BMW 525I M edition (back then the M classification was different) that needed work for a gun and a case of beer.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
STFU n00b!

lol!!
We just scrapped a 325e this week after we blew an engine at a Lemons race.. bought a "running" parts car with an i motor to swap in. find out the i motor dropped a valve and the entire thing is toast.
grrrr

We're getting a Jap car next. something reliable. S13 or a Miata or something. (I voted S13. 4 other guys on my team all drive Miatas, so they veto Nissan. grrr)
Old 04-16-2010, 05:12 AM
mod or sell?

lol why do you say that?
because I still haven't been paid for the parts he got from me
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok let me guess...your "friend" is actually a female..right?
and you're fixing the car to be the hero of the day?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
because I still haven't been paid for the parts he got from me
He said he was getting it together for you. You should have called or emailed him to see whats up.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by DanNY
ok let me guess...your "friend" is actually a female..right?
and you're fixing the car to be the hero of the day?
nice guess, but no.. thats his gf in the pic if thats what you were assuming. im just helping him out because its his first car, and i enjoy working on the VE. hes learning as well.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM

lol!!
We just scrapped a 325e this week after we blew an engine at a Lemons race.. bought a "running" parts car with an i motor to swap in. find out the i motor dropped a valve and the entire thing is toast.
grrrr

We're getting a Jap car next. something reliable. S13 or a Miata or something. (I voted S13. 4 other guys on my team all drive Miatas, so they veto Nissan. grrr)

Hey I know a few guys using Z31's for lemons cars with good results, But I'd go s13-14 with VG30ET myself or even a VG33ET if you are lucky enough to get a deal on a 33. drop q45 pistons in and it become a VG34ET. Light nimble car, much like the miata with more more potential in the engine than the 1.8L PS don't forget the double sway bar install Matt. On a side note any idea why my post was censored? d*** is a nickname for Richard, thus my (what I thought was a) clever play on words. Just wondering if that is an issue, rather not create too many issues even if I am rather brutally honest in some of my posts.

nice guess, but no.. thats his gf in the pic if thats what you were assuming. im just helping him out because its his first car, and i enjoy working on the VE. hes learning as well.
Wait wait wait, so you're telling me you are doing this and not even getting any for it? Tell your buddy hand over the cash or the girl or :matt93se: Matt, love that you have your own smiley, have a feeling I will be using it a bit.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt

Wait wait wait, so you're telling me you are doing this and not even getting any for it? Tell your buddy hand over the cash or the girl or :matt93se: Matt, love that you have your own smiley, have a feeling I will be using it a bit.
Na, he owes me a lifetime supply of Checkers fastfood
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 AM
mod or sell?

He said he was getting it together for you. You should have called or emailed him to see whats up.
I did email him.
no response.

Quick Reply: VE accident :-(