3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear parallel link bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Rear parallel link bushings

Looking to finally install these bushings. Is the job easy? How much time will it take? Any special tools needed? What's the best method to get the old bushings out? Will my alignment be off or can I get around it...

tks in advance,

r/Mark
Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 PM

There is a bushing punch kit you can loan from autozone which is helpful, but not the best resource. The best way to remove them, effectively, is to burn them out, and then use a table vice to press the new ones in with an ample amount of grease. I didn't use the vice or grease, I hit my hand many times with a hammer using the punch tools, and I wonder how long the bushings will last without grease?

Your alignment should go back the way it was if you do not adjust the arm with the threaded portion.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
STFU n00b!

Are you installing OEM or Energy suspension bushings?
You'll need a hydraulic press or a large bench vise to press the old bushings out. no fire needed on the parallel links (unlike the front control arms and the radius rods).

your alignment will be close, but I'd recommend at least having it checked afterwards. be sure to mark which link goes where in the suspension and put them back in the exact same spot.
If using OEM bushings, be sure not to torque the large bolts down until the car is at normal ride height. otherwise you'll damage the new bushings.
Easiest way to do that is to measure the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the top of your fender before you ever jack up the car. (put a mark with blue tape on the fender and write the measurement with a sharpie before you take the car apart.)

THEN when you have everything back together and those pivot bolts are finger tight, stick a jack under each wheel and jack it up until the suspension is at normal height. then you can get in there and torque the bolts down without much hassle. be very careful not to push the car off jack stands when you're doing that. it's doable, so be careful. make sure you're not under the car or rear suspension at any time whiel you have the car supported this way. one slip and that rear brake rotor can chop off a leg. This procedure isn't necessary at all for the Energy bushings since they rotate freely. the factory bushings are molded to the steel sleeves and can't rotate like the ES bushings.

If you're using Energy suspension bushings, MAKE SURE you have washers on both sides of each bushing. Sometimes they include them in the kit, sometimes not. If you don't have them, the bushings have a tendency to walk out of the links and it's caused some nasty problems on other people's cars. correct installation is mandatory.

Edit #123098145801.
Time? I could do the job in two hours. for your first time to do a rear suspension project (based on your questions, you're a first-timer..), I suggest you plan a full day, if not the whole weekend.
are you doing any other suspension work at the same time? brakes? struts? sway bars? etc?
Easy? relatively.
you will need to drop the rear crossmember as well to get the links off the car. the long bolt that holds the links onto the crossmember will hit the gas tank and/or the spare tire well and/or muffler. it's been a while since I've done it... but they hit something. you'll need to pull the crossmember down, but it's way easier than you think. there's a tiny bracket between the xmember and the spare tire well- 12 or 14mm socket to remove it..
Then there's 4 nuts/bolts that hold the xmember in place. two on each side. wear goggles or safety glasses when working under there cause you WILL get dirt in your eyes working under the car. ouch...

Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-06-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM

which link system you have? Blehmco?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by maximo018
which link system you have? Blehmco?

Matt Blehmco.

edit: aside from the drama Matt put into it, it's basically straight forward. pop 'em out (you will likely have problems with the cross member removal; if it doesn't have load sensing valves, it's a much quicker job...).
on using ES bushings.

Last edited by BenStoked; 04-06-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Matt, I will be using a chasis lift to do the job. Any objection to using it. I should be able to complete the entire job on the lift, correct? The bushings are the polyurethane ones, there were no washers that came in the box, just enough bushings to do both sides, and two tubes of grease. Can I re-use the washers that I will take off with the old bushings?

r/Mark
Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Are you installing OEM or Energy suspension bushings?
You'll need a hydraulic press or a large bench vise to press the old bushings out. no fire needed on the parallel links (unlike the front control arms and the radius rods).

If you're using Energy suspension bushings, MAKE SURE you have washers on both sides of each bushing. Sometimes they include them in the kit, sometimes not. If you don't have them, the bushings have a tendency to walk out of the links and it's caused some nasty problems on other people's cars. correct installation is mandatory.
fire worked marvelously for me

Name:  psLc5.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  83.8 KB

however, forgetting to put washers on both sides of the bushings did not
it was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of my decision to permanently park the car awaiting part-out. Definitely made the car un-driveable until fixed even if i had decided to fix it.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Energy kit here. Noticable improvement. More than you think. Even easier if you can get your hands on an extra set. or at least get another adjust able link for more suspension tweakability
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM

here is a tool i made to push out the rubber bushings, i suppose you can use this also to put new rubbers back in but i went with the energy suspension polys and put those in by hand

threaded rod with nuts, washers (the washer on the right needs to be just smaller than the diameter of the control arm sleeve obviously) and a piece of pipe and pipe cap. Actually took me longer to make the tool than it did to push all 8 bushings out

Good call on the washers Matt, ill have to remember to get some

Anyone with the poly experience squeaking? I was thinking grease fittings may be a good idea but i see these arms rotate with respect to the long bolt that goes through it, so the bushings dont turn or spin within the arm (?)
Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Maximan190
here is a tool i made to push out the rubber bushings, i suppose you can use this also to put new rubbers back in but i went with the energy suspension polys and put those in by hand

threaded rod with nuts, washers (the washer on the right needs to be just smaller than the diameter of the control arm sleeve obviously) and a piece of pipe and pipe cap. Actually took me longer to make the tool than it did to push all 8 bushings out

Good call on the washers Matt, ill have to remember to get some

Anyone with the poly experience squeaking? I was thinking grease fittings may be a good idea but i see these arms rotate with respect to the long bolt that goes through it, so the bushings dont turn or spin within the arm (?)
I have had ES out back for about two and a half years. only time I had squeaking was when one of the halves worked it's way around the lip on the inside (MAKE SURE YOU USE WASHERS!!!!!!!1111oneemphasis). aside from that, no problems. all I used was the little packets of grease in the box I got, which was like, two or three.
Zerk fittings would likely be useless, much as you described.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 AM

What size? and where can I get the washers I need so my bushings won't slip out.

r/Mark
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by majordan
What size? and where can I get the washers I need so my bushings won't slip out.

r/Mark
There are a couple of washers on the stock setup; I just took one to the hardware store, matched up the ID hole the best I could, and made sure they were at least as big OD as the ES bushings.
so, I don't remember the exact size (fixed it, oh, two years ago)
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
There are a couple of washers on the stock setup; I just took one to the hardware store, matched up the ID hole the best I could, and made sure they were at least as big OD as the ES bushings.
so, I don't remember the exact size (fixed it, oh, two years ago)
mine didn't have any washers stock.. the bushing was pressed in tight so it didn't need them. but the ES ones are of a split design so they can work theirselves out... but any ways, any hardware store should have some nice wide washers with that diameter hole in the middle. if you have a friend or 2nd car, just take that big long bolt to the store with you and find a washer that will fit around it just so.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 AM
STFU n00b!

It's a 14mm bolt, so you can get a 9/16" washer to fit. even some 1/2" washers will fit if they're cheap hardware store stuff and have horrid design tolerances.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I just did this job today (took a couple hours...most of that time looking for my old ES grease). I had the Blehmco links on the car but for a daily driver I didn't like it (btw Matt I will respond to your PM later ). I had a press so it made my life easy taking the old bushings out. Last time I used a vice and it was much more difficult (but not that bad)

I bought a bag of 1/2" washers from Fastenal for $6. It was a close fit but worked well. Part number 1133861. It had 25 washers in it and were thin enough to use 4 on each end (16 needed in all) and still have the nut screw on far enough. You probably have a fastenal around your area if not check the hardware store. I would chunk all the factory washers (too thick) and just go with the thinner ones.

BTW I don't think they give you enough grease in the pack IMO. I had a small tub of grease I bought a couple years ago to do the same thing on another Maxima. I still had plenty left over so I used it again. It was ES grease just a small container instead of the little packets.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Definitely install washers as the link will slide and the bushing can come out. I actually still have my old links with the poly bushings installed still laying in my garage since I got the Blehmco links 2 years ago.

I agree with Micheal on the grease.. I just bought myself a pack of ES poly grease from O'Reilly's for $2.99 and it had 3-4 of the little tubes that normally come with the bushings themselves.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As others have stated, MAKE SURE to install washers on either side of the bushings. The same day after putting mine on, I barreled into a corner and the back end kicked out...scared the **** out of me. It turns out the bushing had "stepped up" over the larger OD. (It will make sense when you see it.) I was lucky, but it could have been a much harder lesson learned...
Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxitech
As others have stated, MAKE SURE to install washers on either side of the bushings. The same day after putting mine on, I barreled into a corner and the back end kicked out...scared the **** out of me. It turns out the bushing had "stepped up" over the larger OD. (It will make sense when you see it.) I was lucky, but it could have been a much harder lesson learned...
kinda like my pic a few posts up? what happened for me was that the right rear suspension started chattering like crazy and vibrating the whole car under braking, cuz the wheel kept toeing in and out as the bushing-less link was bouncing metal-on-metal back and forth against the bolt that holds it all together.

at first i thought the front link had snapped (like colombianmax's did a while back) but it ended up being the bushings.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-11-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Glad to see you are alright from that. By that being said...LMAO!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Will the new poly bushings slide into place or will they have to be pressed in ? If the new poly bushings don't need to be pressed in then why is there a need for the ES poly grease?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by majordan
Will the new poly bushings slide into place or will they have to be pressed in ? If the new poly bushings don't need to be pressed in then why is there a need for the ES poly grease?
slide bushing in first, then the metal sleeve into it. grease around the sleeve of course.