3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 07:15 AM
duster71

transaxle

My son has a 93 maxima and complained of steering problems.I didn't pay much attention until he replaced the rack and had the front end alligned and still complained.After driving the car I realized that the car was pulling with both axles all the time (full time posi Trac)
I knew this wasn't right and was causing his problem.
I'm not that familiar with these cars but have 2 questions
1.Did any of the 93's come with a limited slip type transaxle? or as I fear something has seized up causing this because when I checked the transaxle was 2 qts of gear oil low (probably got awful hot that low)

Old 12-10-2001, 07:30 AM
STFU n00b!

the 92-94 SE models have a viscous limited-slip differential..

What kind of steering problems is he having with the car? I've had my steering and transmission apart a few times and might be able to help you out.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:36 AM
duster71

transaxle problems

Originally posted by Matt93SE
the 92-94 SE models have a viscous limited-slip differential..

What kind of steering problems is he having with the car? I've had my steering and transmission apart a few times and might be able to help you out.

The steering wheel when turning always fights to come back to center and the tire hops or squalls since both are pulling when you turn and rotating at the same speed in turns. If it is a limited slip is there a special gear oil for that differential?

Old 12-10-2001, 04:13 PM

Re: transaxle problems

Originally posted by duster71

The steering wheel when turning always fights to come back to center and the tire hops or squalls since both are pulling when you turn and rotating at the same speed in turns. If it is a limited slip is there a special gear oil for that differential?
Sounds like a locked diff to me. If it is and SE, then you have a LSD, if not SE, it is open, Either way, gutting your trans, though eisier than an auto, is not for the novice mechanic. I did it myself and can tell you it takes alot of time and organization.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:28 AM
duster71

Thanks that is what it seemed to me ,locked diff that is.I've got my fingers crossed that maybe driving it with the oil in it now may free up the clutches (if it even has clutches). I told my son to just drive it a while.
PS I also found out that he drove it a month with 2 different size tires on the front (height) couldn't have been good for it. It is an SE model

Old 12-11-2001, 11:37 AM

Thanks that is what it seemed to me ,locked diff that is.I've got my fingers crossed that maybe driving it with the oil in it now may free up the clutches (if it even has clutches). I told my son to just drive it a while.
PS I also found out that he drove it a month with 2 different size tires on the front (height) couldn't have been good for it. It is an SE model
OUCH! That is a no no on ANY car, especially one with an LSD. Seriously, try Redline MTL in it. There is a thread for this subject in the 3rd gen forums. This stuff is really great for an ailing trans. KEep in mind that you will may need to replace the CV axles soon too, as havin both inside and outside wheels turning at the same rate through turns is hell on axles. Give the MTL a go and good luck! MIKE
Old 12-11-2001, 11:38 AM

OUCH! That is a no no on ANY car, especially one with an LSD (having different diameter tires on the drive wheels that is). Seriously, try Redline MTL in it. There is a thread for this subject in the 3rd gen forums. This stuff is really great for an ailing trans. KEep in mind that you will may need to replace the CV axles soon too, as havin both inside and outside wheels turning at the same rate through turns is hell on axles. Give the MTL a go and good luck! MIKE