3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Right side vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Blown

Right side vibration?

I have a vibration in the front right of my 92 SE. This vibration is the same with two differnt sets of wheels and tires so I do not think it is a balancing problem. When I am driving down the road at a steady speed I have a constant vibration coming from the front right of the car. When I let off the gas it is more pronounced. When I turn the wheel slightly to the right it gets a little worse. I am thinking it is my right side axle, but I am just wonding what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I guess it could be your axle. Is it OEM or aftermarket? I had a similar problem with an aftermarket axle. Mine didn't change based on if I turned the wheel right/left though. Mine would shudder, and it did it worse in certain speed/rpm ranges. If I accelerated pretty hard, it shuddered bad and be really noticeable. If I just puttered along, I'd still notice a shudder/vibration and a certain rpm range but it was pretty subtle.

I had my OEM axle rebuilt and stuck it back in and it fixed the problem
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by James92SE
I guess it could be your axle. Is it OEM or aftermarket? I had a similar problem with an aftermarket axle. Mine didn't change based on if I turned the wheel right/left though. Mine would shudder, and it did it worse in certain speed/rpm ranges. If I accelerated pretty hard, it shuddered bad and be really noticeable. If I just puttered along, I'd still notice a shudder/vibration and a certain rpm range but it was pretty subtle.

I had my OEM axle rebuilt and stuck it back in and it fixed the problem
ummm....I have never replaced it since I have owned the car, but that does not mean it has never been done. I just ordered a new (not rebuilt) axle from my local advanced auto parts store, so hopefully that will do it.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM

check the boot, mine was torn last year and the car would vibrate bad and make a repeating clunk when i made a right turn, boot was torn. i guess it was torn for a while and **** got in it so i needed a new axle as well
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM

My driver side axle has been vibrating really bad at speeds between 55-75. It gets real bad around 60mph. My original axle had a torn boot, so the mechanic replaced it with a similar one. since then it has been vibrating so badly that it feels as it the whole front end wants to fall off the car. How much does an OEM one cost, or how much to rebuild one, the old axle only has one torn boot, and its right near the clip, maybe I can get one of those aftermarket boots from O-rileys. ALso has anyone ever driven with a broken upper plenum gasket? WOuld it cause a power loss?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by maxinout93
My driver side axle has been vibrating really bad at speeds between 55-75. It gets real bad around 60mph. My original axle had a torn boot, so the mechanic replaced it with a similar one. since then it has been vibrating so badly that it feels as it the whole front end wants to fall off the car. How much does an OEM one cost, or how much to rebuild one, the old axle only has one torn boot, and its right near the clip, maybe I can get one of those aftermarket boots from O-rileys. ALso has anyone ever driven with a broken upper plenum gasket? WOuld it cause a power loss?

I am pretty sure fixing a torn boot is not your problem. If it is vibrating that bad then you may want to check and make sure your lug nuts are tight. I think the earlier comment about the boot being torn is just an indicator that the axle may have slung it grease out and now had dirt/junk inside of the boot which will lead to the axle failing.

you can get an axle from probably $50-70$ (non nissan), if you get a rebuilt one it may be a little cheaper, but you will have to front the core charge unless you show up with your core.

***also what you are describing sounds like a classic case of your wheels needing to be balanced. Also if the tires are older or defective they could be seperating, causing a bad shaking. Also make sure your wheels are not bent.

Last edited by cardana24; 04-27-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Well the tires are new and balanced on the front, the rear right passenger side tire makes a humming noise at high speeds, and the rear driver side tire is filled with fix-a-flat, dont know if this would cause it to be so bad. But After I had that axle put in on the driver side, it has been vibrating really bad, it kinda smooths out at speeds of 75 to 85mph. Also I have 2 different struts on the front of the car. one side is gxe and the other side came from an SE. the car seems to sit crooked and not straight, I dont know if this would b an issue either.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Wow.. you're not supposed to drive around too much on the fix-a-flat.

Head to a tire shop and get a good used one, should cost you about 20 bucks mounted/balanced. I'd do that first. You're never going to have everything all balanced driving around with a foam filled tire intended for emergency purposes only..
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Wow.. you're not supposed to drive around too much on the fix-a-flat.

Head to a tire shop and get a good used one, should cost you about 20 bucks mounted/balanced. I'd do that first. You're never going to have everything all balanced driving around with a foam filled tire intended for emergency purposes only..
LOL foam filled tire. I had to laugh at that one! I will go to the tire shop first thing in the morning. Thanks for the advice too.