3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM

Squeaky Brakes

Ok so ive had a 3rd gen for just about three years now and it has been the best car i ever owned. but recently when i let go of the brakes when ive stop, or i just tap them to decelarate i hear my brakes make a quick squeak. The brakes are opertaing fine its just extremly annoying. does anybody have any insight with this problem?

Last edited by RustyMaxima; 05-01-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

pads maybe?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM

spray some break cleaner on your pads and routers...it might be as little as some dirt or grease....if still doesn't go away...then probably u need to change your routers and pads...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
spray some break cleaner on your pads and routers...it might be as little as some dirt or grease....if still doesn't go away...then probably u need to change your routers and pads...
routers? is that how its spelled in canada? wow. kinda funny.
i thought they were rotors
Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
routers? is that how its spelled in canada? wow. kinda funny.
i thought they were rotors
yea it's rotors, don't listen to him hes definitely drunk. And it's brake not break.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Are your pads worn down to the squealer? squeaky brakes are usually caused by micro vibrations between the pad and the rotor. Generally, if you apply some brake lube to the back of the pads, the slides, and the caliper bolts you can reduce the vibrations by creating a small 'buffer zone' with the lube.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phatmatt
yea it's rotors, don't listen to him hes definitely drunk. And it's brake not break.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
STFU n00b!

Remove the pads.. if there's plenty of material on them, then sand the surface down with garnett sandpaper (the plain orange stuff you get at the hardware store). don't use any of the funky synthetic compounds or anything. the garnett paper is cheap and works great.
use about 40 grit or so and sand the hard outer surface off until you get to fresh material. hit the rotors with the same and knock the dark blue surface off the top of the rotor. If there's plenty of thickness you might have them turned, but I've found it to work without doing that much of the time.

so basically sand the old hard surface that's full of impurities off the pad. stick a little brake anti-squeal goop on the back of the pad and put it all back together.

Now the fun part if you have a GXE w/ drums and it's the drums squealing.... only way to fix that is to throw them away. I put 3-4 sets of shoes and replaced the drums twice, and they still squealed after a few thousand miles. I hate drum brakes.....
Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM

thank you

thanks everybody for the help funny thing is i did brakes about 2 months ago. (nissan pads) i just bought some duralast rotors but its not when im braking if i come to a complete stop and then let go of my brakes the brakes squeak.( when the cailper lets go of the rotor) could it be the cailper seizing?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyMaxima
thanks everybody for the help funny thing is i did brakes about 2 months ago. (nissan pads) i just bought some duralast rotors but its not when im braking if i come to a complete stop and then let go of my brakes the brakes squeak.( when the cailper lets go of the rotor) could it be the cailper seizing?
it might be the little return pins in the calipers. they might be sticking if u havent lubed em.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM

the squeking sounds like either the contact between the back of the pad and the caliper piston ot brake dust between the rotor and the pad. As matt said, that anti squeak lube helps with the contact between the back of the pad and the piston, though generally more heard on braking then when letting off the brake.

The brake dust issue is more or less creating a thin barrier between the pad and the rotor so while it's trying to bite it's sliding a bit on the dust causing a squeaking noise. Same idea as if your foot slipped on gravel the contact between your foot and the ground being interupted by loose gravel and makes a noise, but much slower, much larger debris and much less force between the 2 surfaces. If your caliper piston is sticking it may be producing more brake dust in the first place, and the dragging would cause that noise. Quick easy way to check is clean both surfaces either with brake cleaner and/or using Matt's method (never used Matt's but makes great sense and I respect Matt's ideas), once cleaned should have no squeaks at first, until brake dust builds back up again from using your brakes and the sticking piston. If it stops after cleaning then starts again, and you have used anti squeak lube on the back of the pads I would look for which caliper is causing it (you'll probably have an idea from when cleaning them up) and look into all moving parts you can see and if still no dice, rebuild kits aren't that expensive, and it's really not a hard job.

Also forgot to mention, if the dust has been going on for a while it may actually cause some glazing to the rotor surface, might help in locating an issue. Now I need to stop talking since my threads seem to get longer every time.