3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Weird Engine Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Weird Engine Issues.

I just got done putting my 89' SE back together after a suspension rebuild. I put in a new clutch, control arms, wheel bearings, struts and bushings all around. Only the clutch was out, but I decided to do a rebuild because pretty much everything was original and the car had 196,xxx on it.

Starts up fine like it always does and the suspension seems tight. Does good on take off. Then (usually just when I go to shift from first to second) the car just looses all power. The engine doesn't die when this happens. I have tested by throwing it into neutral when she does this and she stays lit and idles. I just suddenly have no throttle response and now power. Sometimes it comes back all the way and other times she starts jolting along the road (dead throttle, little jolt, dead throttle, little jolt). I double checked and I am almost sure I put the electrical back exactly the way it was before. I for the life of me can't figure it out. Any suggestions??
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Mostly_Harmless_Mike
I just got done putting my 89' SE back together after a suspension rebuild. I put in a new clutch, control arms, wheel bearings, struts and bushings all around. Only the clutch was out, but I decided to do a rebuild because pretty much everything was original and the car had 196,xxx on it.

Starts up fine like it always does and the suspension seems tight. Does good on take off. Then (usually just when I go to shift from first to second) the car just looses all power. The engine doesn't die when this happens. I have tested by throwing it into neutral when she does this and she stays lit and idles. I just suddenly have no throttle response and now power. Sometimes it comes back all the way and other times she starts jolting along the road (dead throttle, little jolt, dead throttle, little jolt). I double checked and I am almost sure I put the electrical back exactly the way it was before. I for the life of me can't figure it out. Any suggestions??
maf? moisture in some electrical harnesses? loose wiring? does it ever happen when the car is idling? if you can find out whether you are losing spark vs losing fuel, that will help you narrow down alot as far as what's causing it.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM

sounds like tps. usually youll get a burp at certain throttle postitions though. i cleaned the connection to my tps with similar problems and it's been fine since.
i think i still need to replace it, as i was getting the jolting you described only at partial throttle.. but well see