3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Electric trunk opener, "slow"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Electric trunk opener, "slow"?

The electronic trunk opener, does it pop upon when button is pushed or do you need to hold the button for a few seconds?

Just installed one in my car today, and planned to hook it up to my aftermarket remote central locking, but the remote system only sends power to the actuater for apx 1 sec, and when I feed the actuator +12v it needs like 2-3 sec to pull it open, is that normal?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by jvc1986
The electronic trunk opener, does it pop upon when button is pushed or do you need to hold the button for a few seconds?

Just installed one in my car today, and planned to hook it up to my aftermarket remote central locking, but the remote system only sends power to the actuater for apx 1 sec, and when I feed the actuator +12v it needs like 2-3 sec to pull it open, is that normal?
Do you mean the trunk pop button that is on the driver door panel?

The trunk should pop instantly when the button is pushed.

However, something in the system goes "bad", and I haven't figured out over the years what exactly it is (then again, I haven't really looked into it). For example, on one of my VE's, the trunk pop button doesn't work at all about 80% of the time. Sometimes though, if I repeatedly press the button 10-15 times, it works. But that's rare. I'm not sure if there's a relay or something in there that goes bad, or what. On that one, I just always use my key to open the trunk
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Yes, thats the button
I have not installed the button itself yet, just tried feeding the actuator directly with +12v, so if it's supposed to open instantly there must be a problem with the actuator itself, i'll take a closer look at it tomorrow, hopefully it can be fixed
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM

The actuator should pull the cable in immediately, but draws quite a bit of power so you need to hook it up to a sufficient source, maybe that is the issue. Wire the actuator directly to a fully charged battery or a source capable of 10+ amps, it should pull the cable in for a second and release it, then after another second, you'll hear a click, and it will be ready to go again. If you don't remove power, it will pull the cable back in immediately after the click. Do this test without the cable connected to the latch first.

Also, your alarm's aux. output is probably only capable of driving a relay, or a device that draws very little power, even if it's just closing and sending a ground signal. Wire it to a relay that switches the 12v source and ground the actuator directly to the chassis.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Is that trunk opener on the door replaceable?? I accidently dropped my door panel while I was trying to figure out wat was wrong with my driver window, and the actuator was still plugged in. Was wondering if I can get one from another max out the junk yard?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 AM

You were right Hectic, I tried last night (after posting here) to connect it to my +12v 10a supply and it worked perfect, it draws about 12 amps.

And since my project car has a low battery charge (not enough juice to start the engine) that is the reason, I will replace the battery today.

Will check the output of the remote system, may need to add a relay to it.

Thanks all
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Do you mean the trunk pop button that is on the driver door panel?

The trunk should pop instantly when the button is pushed.

However, something in the system goes "bad", and I haven't figured out over the years what exactly it is (then again, I haven't really looked into it). For example, on one of my VE's, the trunk pop button doesn't work at all about 80% of the time. Sometimes though, if I repeatedly press the button 10-15 times, it works. But that's rare. I'm not sure if there's a relay or something in there that goes bad, or what. On that one, I just always use my key to open the trunk

just in case , did you check that the
trunk pop canceler lever is in the correct postition
its in the square hole under the latch catcher\holder