3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Diagnostic Test...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Diagnostic Test...

The lady I bought my car from bout it from this nissan dealer around my area back in 1992-1993 so I took it back there yesterday... because my fans wont come on and my tranny is still leaking after replacing a seal and the guys outside were just looking one guys was like "God Bless!"... gotta admit the g35s look good when cleaned up real nice but ANYWAYSSSSSSSSSSSSS so yeah he told me its $95 for a DIAGNOSTIC TEST... should I just go ahead and let them do it since it is a nissan dealership? other places ive been said they cant pull any codes if the check engine light is not on... and im stuck...what to do my peeps?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 PM

does your car overheat?
or did you just notice the fans dont come on?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Just because it's a Nissan dealership doesn't mean you "should" do anything. In fact, usually that's the reason you don't have them do anything, because dealerships rip off the customer. They want $95 to tell you something they can diagnose in minutes, I say pass, but it's up to you. Fans not coming on is probably your coolant temp sensor, it's not hard to replace, at least give it a shot. If you can't locate and fix the tranny leak yourself, you'll probably have to drop some cash to get it fixed, it's not like you have to go to the dealership though.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Just because it's a Nissan dealership doesn't mean you "should" do anything. In fact, usually that's the reason you don't have them do anything, because dealerships rip off the customer. They want $95 to tell you something they can diagnose in minutes, I say pass, but it's up to you. Fans not coming on is probably your coolant temp sensor, it's not hard to replace, at least give it a shot. If you can't locate and fix the tranny leak yourself, you'll probably have to drop some cash to get it fixed, it's not like you have to go to the dealership though.
This is called...common sense. We all have it, but we don't always use it.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician
does your car overheat?
or did you just notice the fans dont come on?
It doesn't overheat at all which is strange to me and before they stopped working I noticed that they use to stay on the both of them then they would jump on and off but now they don't spin at all... I know one fan is suppose to keep engine somewhat cool and the other is for the a/c i think that correct but hey none of them turn on.

Sup Hectic? yeah its always probs with these cars man... 18 years old tho so yeah anyways... Since this is my first time going to get this done... so I'm clueless about it... I was told that there is another place that can do it for $49... I figured since its a Nissan dealer they would know about Nissan's... who wouldn't? Which is why I came on here to ask before I gave them a whole $95... and I have asked questions about them once before and they tranny leak but people don't really respond like they use to...

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
This is called...common sense. We all have it, but we don't always use it.
Like I told the last guy who wanted to be a smartass if you are not gonna answer the question dont post anything at all... go find something to play with on ur car.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Just went out side its 4am but hey it is the connection to the coolant temp sensor that is somewhat messed up how I have no idea but it wasn't on there all the way... but I pushed it on and both fans jumped on and at high speed... only prob now is that will they always be on? and if so how to control that? I don't A/C now idk what happend to that when I got the "new" engine i think that one was already on there... not sure...
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Like I told the last guy who wanted to be a smartass if you are not gonna answer the question dont post anything at all... go find something to play with on ur car.
How about a new sensor...unplugging the sensor should trigger the fail safe condition where the fan is always on, because the ECU has no idea what the engine temp is so it switches the fans on just to be on the safe side. Have a member email you a copy of the FSM it's good to have if you don't have it already. Is that better?

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 09-10-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 PM

How about a new sensor...unplugging the sensor should trigger the fail safe condition where the fan is always on, because the ECU has no idea what the engine temp is so it switches the fans on just to be on the safe side. Have a member email you a copy of the FSM it's good to have if you don't have it already. Is that better?
+1 Respect... will do... thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Replace the coolant temperature sensor. My car did the same thing(both fans were always on at full speed, even though the car was no where near hott!) Its about 15 dollars at a parts store, that should solve your problem like it did mine.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Way out West

Just a heads up about OBD I (which all 3rd gens are).

The ECU is almost worthless about storing or giving codes.

Funny you have coolant temp sensor problems because that is the ONLY code mine ever threw in the 8 years I have owned it.

You can check the codes yourself pretty easy. I think there is something in the stickies about the process. I am not going to type it all out. ECU is on the passenger side of the center stack. Takes about 5 minutes or so.

It is unlikely you have any noteworthy codes. Possibly the CTS one, but you already know about it. 5-5 is more likely
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

+1 on that part

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
It doesn't overheat at all which is strange to me and before they stopped working I noticed that they use to stay on the both of them then they would jump on and off but now they don't spin at all... I know one fan is suppose to keep engine somewhat cool and the other is for the a/c i think that correct but hey none of them turn on.

Sup Hectic? yeah its always probs with these cars man... 18 years old tho so yeah anyways... Since this is my first time going to get this done... so I'm clueless about it... I was told that there is another place that can do it for $49... I figured since its a Nissan dealer they would know about Nissan's... who wouldn't? Which is why I came on here to ask before I gave them a whole $95... and I have asked questions about them once before and they tranny leak butt people don't really respond like they use to...

That is sooo true.

Bingo