3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear Deck Subwoofer Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:43 AM

Rear Deck Subwoofer Setup

So even though I may be selling my car I'll still try to contribute one possible good thing to the community. So the rear decks of our cars with the Bose speakers use undermounted 6x9s. Well I installed some Infinity Kappa 3-way 6x9s and they pretty much sounded like *** even when amped properly. I couldn't figure it out until I realized the way the bose was setup to seal around the 6x9 enclosure and use it to channel the sound into the car. Anyway I removed all the factory setup entirely and then took off the top cover.

Well I guess maybe the non-bose Maximas had regular sized speakers. Well I figured that it was 6.5 even though Crutchfield lists it as 5-1/4". And I never really liked the concept of 6x9s...sound from a round speaker is supposed to be better than that of a oval.

You can also see how bad it looks when the 6x9 is mounted to the bracket outside the car. And so the 2nd part to this undertaking was the lack of bass in the car. I didn't want highs from the back and I didn't want to put a box in the trunk.

First thing was to seal up all the holes. I used this stuff called "Peel & Seal" from Lowes. Its very similar to dynamat except its only 16 dollars a roll instead of 100.

Cut the holes for speakers and punch holes for the rear deck cover mounting pounts. Then get the 6.5" free air ED subs in the mail.

And install them. They weighed enough to sit there. I did this same thing for my friend MofoAKAu. He bought regular 6.5" speakers and then screwed them down into the factory holes. The holes do line up with the 6.5" speakers. Anyway they do provide pretty good bass. It's not chest pounding attention from the outside getting bass but its good bass with music better than the 6x9s. The speakers look kind of cool too. Has a cf cone. I actually left the grills off the rear deck and you can kind of see them from the outside.

Last edited by tv4184; 09-19-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Need to resize pictures
Old 09-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Right on. I kinda dig the setup. It's something different & that goes a long way - especially when you, as the owner, like it. I completely dropped my rears, amped the front components & added a sub in the trunk. I have no complaints. Cool idea, man. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:43 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Nice work!

Have you thought about adding some enclosures to the underside of the deck (essentially making the 6.5s sealed)?

I know they make boxes just for that for 6x9s on decks, not sure about 6.5s, but you could easily fab something up
Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Something like this? Doesn't seem like it'd be too obtrusive. You'd have to do a little something to secure it, but it shouldn't be an issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-6-5-CARPETED-S...item336086e29c

Is there a defined difference with the peel and seal? I've seen it used before, but have never heard much regarding an improvement in sound quality.

Last edited by tresboi; 09-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM

yeah the peel and seal makes a huge difference. Essentially the trunk is the "sealed enclosure". It works pretty well. If you try boxes it could get in the way of the trunk operating mechanism unfortunately. I guess if someone else tries this they can let us know how that goes. I saw an IS300 that did this with 4 subs and a setup that hung from the rear deck.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I put the scosche 6x9 boxes in under the deck, with the speakers. wasn't enough difference for me to recommend it. was too much work to undo, so they are taking up space.

oh, they do NOT interfere with trunk opperation, btw. I still don't recommend it.

edit: (i feel the need to clarify slightly; I am running some lower grade speakers in the rear. the OP's speakers may benefit slightly by adding enclosures.)

Last edited by BenStoked; 09-19-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Good stuff. I'm surprised that you didn't like the sound of 6x9's though. IMO, they sound awesome in the 3rd gen when bolted to the stock mounts. Unless there are front speakers blaring in your ears, then you might as well not even use 6x9's in the rear because they're drowned out by the badly proportioned output that come from door speakers..
Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Like the set up. Bet it sounds good, but of course you are right, you're not going to get chest pounding bass from those speakers. Like with anything, it is the speakers you install. If the 6x9's you had sucked....it was definatley the speakers.

It took my 3-4 sets of speakers to find anything close to what the stock Bose speakers sounded like....which sounded good when I originally bought my car. It ultimately took me buying Kicker Comp 6x9's (sub rating and power handling) at about $100 each to get the pounding sound and volume from the rear speakers. Well worth the $$ IMO, to me.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Way out West

^^ I agree with Chris here.

I have some polk audio 6x9s and they sound good when I don't have my sub hooked up. With more power, I think they might even have better bass. The previous 6x9s I had were Infinity Reference and they didn't cut it.

Good work, overall. It's probably nice to have a full trunk available. If I drive my car somewhere for work, I usually stick my golf clubs in the back seat on a blanket.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 PM

real nice... any pix of the finished product?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Looking at your set up, you cross those speakers over properly and get the right amount of power to them, you'll be very pleased.

Again, good work!