3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Opinion: Should I jump on a local JY VE5 to swap over to my GXE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Opinion: Should I jump on a local JY VE5 to swap over to my GXE?

Hey Guys,

I finally have a little cash, and a complete VE5 (albeit- w/ 205k miles) finally showed up in my local U-Pull-It JY. So, I've been wanting to swap in a VE5 LSD trans forever into my '89 GXE. My autotragic trans is now slipping, so perfect timing, and I can also get all the rear disk swap parts, rest of the shifter/axle/pedals, etc. for the 5spd swap, and some suspension and trim parts from the SE. So, I am wondering what you all think about the mileage of the car, if it is an acceptable risk to use a trans w/ over 200k on it. It seems to shift fine into the gears but obviously I can't test it first. And, I will have to pay for each part I take from the JY instead of just having it as a total parts car. I think all the parts I priced out came to a little over $600. That may have been with the engine. I can't remember. So, give me your $0.02. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM

whats your junkyards return policy? the one here you can buy whatever, do whatever with it within 30 days and you can bring it back within the 30 days for credit. if its the same for you and you get parts there alot, you have nothing to lose

i personally would trust a medium-high mileage engine/tranny than a low mileage one
Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 PM

Ya, I think that is the same return policy. I just have to pay a little more (like maybe 10%) in order to be able to return the part w/in 30 days for a credit. I figure, even if the trans isn't good, at least I'll have it and can rebuild it.

What about the engine? I think I should probably stick with my low mileage VG (~95k, currently not running 'cause of injector issues) instead of getting the VE from that car and doing a complete swap over. What do you think?

There's also some Q45s in there to get the pistons from in order to make a 3.4L VG and to get the calipers from for a BBK. Anyone need some? I already have a pair.

Last edited by mrkanda; 09-19-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 PM

Augustus did a VE swap, you have to swap wiring too. but yeah at least you still have the tranny
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Hell yes you should swap over.

If it's $600 total, I should hope that includes the engine as well. If so, just swap that in too.

Mileage on the tranny is about like mileage on an engine. It all depends on how well it's been maintained. As long as it goes into all the gears fine, you should be okay. Change the axle seals and strike rod seal while you've got it out, obviously.

And, now that you've got a little cash, perhaps the money you've owed me for the door lock timer for over a year now (that I've been exorbitantly "cool" about) will magically appear in my PayPal account........................................... ..
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 AM

If your gonna have to replace soon anyway then you might as well get what you really want.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Do it man. Nothing better than a VE5.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Hell yes you should swap over.

If it's $600 total, I should hope that includes the engine as well. If so, just swap that in too.

Mileage on the tranny is about like mileage on an engine. It all depends on how well it's been maintained. As long as it goes into all the gears fine, you should be okay. Change the axle seals and strike rod seal while you've got it out, obviously.

And, now that you've got a little cash, perhaps the money you've owed me for the door lock timer for over a year now (that I've been exorbitantly "cool" about) will magically appear in my PayPal account........................................... ..
Hey "Cool" James! You're right! I will send you the money. Thanks for reminding me . Uncle Sam just gave a us back a little, since I was basically unemployed for all of last year. It's a miracle that they actually listened to our petition instead of sending it all to back taxes. Anyway, I might actually install that door lock timer to see if it works now too . Haven't had a reason to this whole past year 'cause the car wasn't running due to injector and tranny issues. Anyway. Thanks for being cool.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:24 AM

I don't want to discourage you but you should try to get the whole thing from the JY.

Here is what you need and I hope I remember it all.

Engine with tranny, axles, hubs.
ASCD cable is shorter
Accelerator cable is longer
ECU and engine control harness
Engine Compartment harness (this goes from the SMJ all the way round to the washer bottle)
Cooling unit because the VE compressor hoses are bigger
you can get away with not swapping out the heater core, I forced the smaller VG hoses onto the larger water **** and VE block. Water **** must be swapped, the VG type sticks out too far and presses up against the EGR valve.
You might want to change the steering rack lines as the VE type have that sensor.
You will have to rewire the fuel pump (easy)
Swap in the VE fuel pump and sending unit, the VG sending unit is different in appearance and certain resistance measurements.
Rewire the turn signal switch, horn and cruise control.
Cluster should be swapped.
Grab the heated mirrors while you're at it.
****** the tail lights as well...

Give it a shot mang go for it.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I am seeing him say trans swap, not drivetrain swap.
$600 is high for a trans swap from a jy (in my opinion). 200k is a little high, but I would probably do it (inspect input shaft for play, if there is any, rebuild it, or skip).
the only thing I can recall you will need to source is clutch and veggie flywheel (why put a used clutch in?).
If you have time/money for it, do it. stop asking, and do it.

oh, augustus, you forgot the heated mirror switch. heated mirrors are the 2nd best thing I got from the jy for my max (1st was the s13 steering wheel)