3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension refreshments

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Wrong...the 1990 SE shell I swapped my VE into has them.
ok, so maybe all ABS models then? that seems to be what courtesy has. wonder how much if affects brake bias when a car with those gets lowered without adjusting those things... making the LSV's think that the rear is more loaded than it really is.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 06-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Changed the radiator cap and it's been better.
interesting..i didnt think that was next in line but ima try it anyway.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
ok, so maybe all ABS models then? that seems to be what courtesy has. wonder how much if affects brake bias when a car with those gets lowered without adjusting those things... making the LSV's think that the rear is more loaded than it really is.
I'm not really famaliar with how and what exactly those lsv's do..if you wouldnt mind you think you could elaborate? Do you believe you are comprimising braking power when you drop a car and dont adjust those? thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BklynsmoeVE
interesting..i didnt think that was next in line but ima try it anyway.

I'm not really famaliar with how and what exactly those lsv's do..if you wouldnt mind you think you could elaborate? Do you believe you are comprimising braking power when you drop a car and dont adjust those? thanks!
they have a valve inside them that opens up more as the rear end of the car drops down onto the wheels. so if you have 3 adults in the rear seat you've got some 400+lb of extra weight mostly on the rear axle, so the rear end of the car sags some, which cranks the LSVs open proportional to the amount of sag, and allows more braking force to be used on the rear brakes.

Now if you drop the car an 1.2 inches by putting Eibachs on it, the LSV's will behave as though <however much weight would normally make the rear of the car sag 1.2" on stock springs>, and adjust the brakes accordingly, not knowing that the weight isn't actually there.

The front brakes will be unaffected by any drop as there are only LSV's on the rear, so what you end up with is the rear brakes getting extra bias when the car drops, relative to the front. But the rods on the LSV's are threaded, and therefore adjustible, so if you meausre the rod length when the ride height is stock, then drop the car, then readjust them to that length again post-drop, then it should more or less behave just like when you had stock springs.

Tho the stiffer your aftermarket springs are, the less reactive the LSV's will behave b/c the LSV's are calibrated to estimate weight based on the amount of drop, which is a function of lbs/in spring rate. Stiffer spring rate means less drop for the same increase in weight.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 06-07-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM

I too bought a front end kit from ebay but he was fairly local to where i was. didnt really have any issues with the front end kit except for the fact i have 18' wheels and find the rubber control arm bushings are already wearing after only 6 month's. i need to know where i can get a polyurethane bushing kit or control arm bushings atleast. ive been having a heck of a time trying to find them es nor prothane make them for the 3rd gens. ive noticed some people have used the 4th gens and modified them to fit in the front lower control arms but i have yet to see any pictures of that. if anyone knows where i could find some polyurethane bushings that would be much appreciated
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
I too bought a front end kit from ebay but he was fairly local to where i was. didnt really have any issues with the front end kit except for the fact i have 18' wheels and find the rubber control arm bushings are already wearing after only 6 month's. i need to know where i can get a polyurethane bushing kit or control arm bushings atleast. ive been having a heck of a time trying to find them es nor prothane make them for the 3rd gens. ive noticed some people have used the 4th gens and modified them to fit in the front lower control arms but i have yet to see any pictures of that. if anyone knows where i could find some polyurethane bushings that would be much appreciated
Boy did you res-erect an old thread. I forgot this one existed.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM

cool info on the energy suspension parts bud, now those alignment bars...those are for the rear? Am i correct? I havent seen anything like that before. And the top strut bar, is there a part number and a place to get that too? I am looking at getting rid of some body roll that I have. And is there a rear strut bar as well? I have refreshed everything up front with the exception of the struts, and now i think I am going to go back in and do it agian with the energy subs
Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 AM

TK3 VE 5

Um, I think my car fits that description, too.

Dark blue metallic paint, VE powered, 5 spd.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by maximo018
Boy did you res-erect an old thread. I forgot this one existed.
The "suspension refreshments" shall never end
Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

carefull

I will carefull
Old 10-30-2014, 01:49 AM

Needing some advice after suspension reresh

So I'm running B&G sports springs & KYB struts/shocks, and I had some control arm bushings and sway bar end links that needed changing they were busted up as it turns out. So I did a complete refreshment with new control arms both sides, energy suspension way bushings and Mevotech sway bar end links which are also polyurethane. The problem is everything is stiff, almost too stiff now even after greasing everything up. Did I do something wrong?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:15 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by londonflu
So I'm running B&G sports springs & KYB struts/shocks, and I had some control arm bushings and sway bar end links that needed changing they were busted up as it turns out. So I did a complete refreshment with new control arms both sides, energy suspension way bushings and Mevotech sway bar end links which are also polyurethane. The problem is everything is stiff, almost too stiff now even after greasing everything up. Did I do something wrong?
Stiff ride? Seems like an expected outcome from the lowering springs no?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Stiff ride? Seems like an expected outcome from the lowering springs no?
No James I had those installed, about a month ago, but felt nowhere near as stiff as it does now, since doing the suspension refresh, plus brakes & rotors. Is there a break-in period perhaps?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 AM

Do the old suspension test where you push down on the fenders a couple of times to see how much the shocks bounce. This will indicate the travel. Maybe it is contacting the bump stop too early. With the es bushings you will definitely notice a rigid ride.

Last edited by Tiniform; 10-31-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
Do the old suspension test where you push down on the fenders a couple of times to see how much the shocks bounce. This will indicate the travel. Maybe it is contacting the bump stop too early. With the es bushings you will definitely notice a rigid ride.
Thx, I will try that. If it's a case the of bump stop making contact way too early, shall I just cut them? If so how much do I cut-off?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:08 PM

The same amount as the drop. Mine is suposedly a 2" drop so that is the amt I cut the bump stop.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
The same amount as the drop. Mine is suposedly a 2" drop so that is the amt I cut the bump stop.
My B&Gs were supposed to be 1.6", should cut them all the around or just the fronts Tini?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by londonflu
My B&Gs were supposed to be 1.6", should cut them all the around or just the fronts Tini?
So I cut 'em and now the struts are operating as they should, rather that riding on top of the bump stops, the rears were fine.
Thx Tini!

Last edited by londonflu; 11-01-2014 at 05:22 PM.