3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Price quotation from les schwab

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Price quotation from les schwab

Well... I just went into the local Les Schwab to get some 215/50/17's on my car that way my speedometer isnt off. And the best price they could get me is 400 dollars for Zexius XI-427, and that is with me trading in all four of my new nexen tires with 95% tread left. that just seems a little high.. does anyone have any suggestions on where i can get a good trade in with my tires?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Yes. Go to a non-national chain tire shop aka a used tire shop.

Get some Wanlis, Sunny, Triangle, or Maxxis tires.

They're Chinese, and they'll run you only about $250-280 installed for all four tires, mounted and balanced. And many of these shops will give you free lifetime flat repairs and rotations.

Chinese tires sometimes get a bad rap, but much of it is hysteria propagated by American tire companies, combined with paranoia/ignorance from the general consumer. I've personally had zero problems with all four of these brands. These are what I would consider to be the "high end" of the Chinese tire brands. There's probably a couple more I'm forgetting.

The only way I'd shell out big bucks for a pricey American tire is if I was going to be truly road racing, autocrossing, etc. Which I don't, and likely never will.

But nonetheless, that's how you can get tires for MUCH MUCH cheaper and not have to trade-in your current good tires (what a rip-off in and of themselves - Les Schwab will MAKE money off your tires by selling them off).
Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM

I deal with the local Les Schwab here in Northern Nevada and you are correct, their prices do seem a little high at first when compared to Internet tire sales advertisements.

However, the guys I deal with give excellent service (no place else does a guy literally run to meet/greet me in the parking lot). I get free initial mounting/balancing, free rotation/balance on demand, free road damage repairs without questions, good alignment services, and friendly knowledgeable people to deal with. And, don't forget the free popcorn.

I can, and have, gotten similar service at other Les Schab stores in the Western US. My elderly parents got similar service from a Les Schwab in Springfield, Oregon.

They are a local business in a small town employing my neighbors. So ... a little high on prices? ... maybe, but I'll keep going there. That price buys me a lot more than just rubber.

BTW - the only trade-in for tires I ever got involved with was me trading a Les Schwab dealer three remaining used Kumho 4x4 tires for one matching hubcap after a third Kumho disintegrated while still under warranty, 150 miles from home, and while running on dry pavement (that's right, three catastrophic failures on one set of tires). The Yokohama's he sold me ran 40,000 miles on the same truck without even a flat. LOL I still think I came out ahead on that one as he's the one that got stuck with three hugely flawed Kumho's and I walked away with a perfectly serviceable hubcap. Those tires weren't worth hauling home as I would have just received a warranty adjustment and yet another Kumho tire. Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and move on. I will never ever run any Kumho tire in any form or incarnation again. Cheap tires ended up costing me a bunch in the end. End of rant ...

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka
Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Way out West

Les Schwab is the highest priced place in the NW. However, they do have great service. It's kind of a trade off, I guess. The tires on my car now (in my sig) are Zexius from Les Schwab. A guy I know works there and was looking out for me and grabbed a set they had to sell as used, even though they had like 50 miles on them.

You can usually get better deals on new tires from America's Tire, Big O, Tire Factory (almost as high as Schwab). Like James said, a lot of the Korean and Chinese tires are decent. If you want to buy new tires, I would call around. When I bought 17s for my car a few years ago, Tire Factory had some really good tires (Kelly/Springfield) cheaper than anything Schwab had by about $100 for the set. That was 245/45/17

You can really only get a decent price for your used tires if you sell them on CL. Even then, I would guess you could only get somewhere around $200 for them. Nexens are $400 new at some of those places on 82nd.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2093817089.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2098549974.html

Last edited by Cliff Clavin; 12-06-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Nexens are $400 new at some of those places on 82nd.
Hey I've been on 82nd! My sister-in-law's dad's upholstery shop is on 82nd

I feel all in-the-know now
Old 12-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

I got four dilante Chinese tires 205/55/R16 for $300 all season tires great for a very low price. Free mounting balancing and valve stems from my friends tire shop.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM

What size do you have on there now? I might be interested, gf's car needs tires and they are really low profile 17's.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Hey I've been on 82nd! My sister-in-law's dad's upholstery shop is on 82nd

I feel all in-the-know now
You sure it's an upholstery shop? 82nd's a little sketchy
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You sure it's an upholstery shop? 82nd's a little sketchy
Haha, yeah, it does look a little sketchy. It really kind of reminds me of some of the areas around my neighborhood in Dallas. But man he always has some cool cars in there. Every time I've been there I just sit around oogling all the cool hot rods he's got in there