3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Adjustment to Camber

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Adjustment to Camber

How much adjustment is available with the factory camber bolts on the steering knuckle? For example Toyota set up allows 0.75 degress changes with the factory original and more if another special Toyota camber bolt ($5.50) is used.

Does Nissan have the extra camber bolts as Toyota does? What are the part numbers?

The Toyota OEM seems to allow higher torque than the aftermarket camber bolts. I assume that the extra torque is because the bolt is stronger.

93 Maxima GXE
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

The 3rd gen has no front camber adjustability from the factory.

You will need camber bolts (or wedges) if you want some camber adjustment, but they're not available from Nissan. But you can get them online from virtually anywhere (eBay, Rock Auto, etc.) for about $20 bucks for the set

Some aftermarket struts have some built-in adjustment though on the top bolt hole where it attaches to the the knuckle. I have some Gabriels (IIRC - I'll go check in a little bit) on my black VE and noticed the other day the top bolt hole on the it is a pretty wide oval obviously to gain some camber adjustment

But either way, the camber bolts work just fine. I've been running them for nearly 10 years now with no issues at all, ever, on an Intrax drop (1.75").
Old 01-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
The 3rd gen has no front camber adjustability from the factory.

You will need camber bolts (or wedges) if you want some camber adjustment, but they're not available from Nissan. But you can get them online from virtually anywhere (eBay, Rock Auto, etc.) for about $20 bucks for the set

Some aftermarket struts have some built-in adjustment though on the top bolt hole where it attaches to the the knuckle. I have some Gabriels (IIRC - I'll go check in a little bit) on my black VE and noticed the other day the top bolt hole on the it is a pretty wide oval obviously to gain some camber adjustment

But either way, the camber bolts work just fine. I've been running them for nearly 10 years now with no issues at all, ever, on an Intrax drop (1.75").
I actually just had my car aligned (Its on eibachs) and the shop said he got the alignment done and within factory specs and didnt need to install the camber bolts i had left for him inside the car. I guess i will see how the tires wear after a few thousand miles, but as it is otherwise, it feels fine, no pulling etc.

James where did you place the camber bolts, on the top or bottom hole on the strut-to-knuckle mount? I was searching on this awhile back and came across a big discussion thread on a WRX forum debating on top hole vs bottom hole to install the camber bolt
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Well, yeah, he probably was able to get the wheels in factory spec. Keep in mind though factory spec has some rather large parameters. You can have up to a full degree of negative camber or half a degree of positive camber and still be in factory specs. Caster has a pretty large range too but toe not so much.

So, with Eibach's, you're probably right at a degree of negative camber or so. My guess would be that he wasn't able to "adjust" your camber per se, it's just that the drop isn't low enough to push you out of that range. People have always said with Eibachs over the years they've gotten away with no camber bolts and been in spec so this makes sense.

I've always done my bolts up top. I don't know how the WRX strut/knuckle is setup but it seems most obvious/logical to do it up top on the 3rd gen. I mean, negative camber is the top of the wheels leaning inward, and so the camber bolts up top allow you to push the top of the wheel back out. If you did it on the bottom, you would be pulling the bottom of the wheel in. I guess theoretically if you did it on the bottom to pull the wheel in you'd actually be essentially losing width between the front wheels? It would be minuscule though I'd think and probably wouldn't matter much. Either way, from the first day I ever got camber bolts it's never occurred to me to put them on the bottom. I had no idea anybody on any car did them on the bottom

So, if you got your car aligned that must mean it's back on the road/finished?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Camber bolt reusing

Hi Thanks for all of you that replied.
The Maxima service manual has do not reuse the campber bolts and nuts after disassemble. If you only install one adjustable camber bolt on top, are you installing a new bolt and nut on the bottom knuckle?

The manual says no adjustment for the Maxima camber, but that's what other non-Toyota manuals said about the Toyota factory bolt. I was hoping for a +0.7 degree adjust with the Maxima original factory bolts that have a torque spec. of 110-125 ft*Ibs, while the adjust camber bolts are weaker and have max. torque of 55 ft*Ibs torque rating.

The local auto stores seems to have Standard brand for the bolts.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM

I've never heard of not re-using the stock bolts. I can pretty much definitively say that everybody here has surely always re-used the stockers.

With the camber bolt up top just re-use the original lower.

I'd really like to know the reasoning behind Nissan saying to not re-use them