3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

color change

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 AM

color change

im looking to get the max painted next week but cant decide to with black or white. i cant find pics of white maximas or black ones. my interior is all black and i painted some things white so it looks good i just need the exterior painted now. post pics if you have a black or white maxima.
thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 AM

white is my fav ... here yea go

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Ignore my friend's Rustang

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Love the pearl white. Miss my old white 1. If I ever paint my red max its goin to white =)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Got Retrofit?

Black!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM

I grew up in the paint/body business and was raised that changing the color of a car is an unpardonable sin, "unless you do a $5k job and take the car completely apart." Also, an exception to the paint/body commandments about changing color, is that you can go two tone as long as you keep the original color to tie in with all the jambs and chips.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

White and black are my favorite colors for maximas, but i must say if i had to choose i'd say black.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm asking blindly here but is it possible to get that rare sexy blue paint the 3rd gen comes in or its too late or too hard to mix paint to that xact color

if you cnt do that rare blue go black!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BklynsmoeVE
I'm asking blindly here but is it possible to get that rare sexy blue paint the 3rd gen comes in or its too late or too hard to mix paint to that xact color
Of course it's possible! Most shops can mix virtually any color/paint code you could possibly think of
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Of course it's possible! Most shops can mix virtually any color/paint code you could possibly think of
That's awesome, wish I had a hook up for a nice factory quality paint job
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM

james92se: dude wut are you rocking for a spoiler???? **** looks sick!!

bklynsmoeve: if you know a thing or 2 about body work and pre-paint prep you can actually get a good paint job outta maaco lol its shocking yes but u have to spend alil time to remove ur lights and moudlings and get the car ready for apint. sand it down and take care of any body work that needs to be. then just have them spray it basecoat/clearcoat w/ an extra 1 or 2 coats of clear for wet sanding/buffing lol
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

Sapphire blue is color code TK3
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by krashkid0305
bklynsmoeve: if you know a thing or 2 about body work and pre-paint prep you can actually get a good paint job outta maaco lol its shocking yes but u have to spend alil time to remove ur lights and moudlings and get the car ready for apint. sand it down and take care of any body work that needs to be. then just have them spray it basecoat/clearcoat w/ an extra 1 or 2 coats of clear for wet sanding/buffing lol

He's not talking as much about the quality of the paint job as he is about completely gutting the car (engine, interior, etc.) in order to get in the door jambs, engine bay & other areas that if you don't make sure you get, it'll look ridiculous when you open your hood or doors. I thought about repainting my maxima when I first got it because I wasn't a fan of the red... until my dad reminded my 17 year old self at the time of all those things. I've learned to love my red car.

Nate
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Wow, Nate, 11 posts in 5 years! That's gotta be some sort of record

You should post more often we need all the VE guys we can get

Krashkid.. It's a widened/reworked (fiberglass) Q45t spoiler
Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 AM

James...what are you hiding from us. IIRC the blue Max had the rims and the kit, now everything is on the black. Seems like you swapped the brakes and the springs as well. Seems like we boosted as well.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 02-16-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 AM

thanks for the pics guys. they both look good but james's pics convinced me to paint it black plus his pics showed me how it looks with a drop with the lip kit and its sick 10+. now to do some body work n get the max ready.

james is that a stillen kit?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Yup james has the stillen lip kit on that maxima. Im betting that was hids old black one before he sold it. Which I bet he took the stuff off of and put it on the blue one or I might be wrong lol since he does have another black ve5
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
James...what are you hiding from us. IIRC the blue Max had the rims and the kit, now everything is on the black. Seems like you swapped the brakes and the springs as well. Seems like we boosted as well.
Actually the car in these pics came before the blue one. You can see the blue one actually when I first got it (for $200!) in one of the pics. Anyway, the black one in the pics here was from Pennsylvania and had quite a bit of underbody rust. I fixed a good deal of rust on it (like on the rear wheel wells, etc) but just got tired of it. I stripped it and sold it as a stock car.

Everything from the black car is now on the blue one. Although I do have now ANOTHER black VE 5, just not the one in these pics
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Just paint it black emerald. Now that is rare.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM

go black and white and have a panda 3rd gen
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM

james92se: dude wut are you rocking for a spoiler???? **** looks sick!!

Krashkid: I rly don't know a thing or two lol about paint at least, that's y I was asking but thanks for the info tho honestly that's y I was asking I was wondering if these places like maaco wld do a rly nice paint job and if so would it be like $1000+?

Originally Posted by Nates78Ski
He's not talking as much about the quality of the paint job as he is about completely gutting the car (engine, interior, etc.) in order to get in the door jambs, engine bay & other areas that if you don't make sure you get, it'll look ridiculous when you open your hood or doors. I thought about repainting my maxima when I first got it because I wasn't a fan of the red... until my dad reminded my 17 year old self at the time of all those things. I've learned to love my red car.
Nate
Nah honestly I Was asking about the quality, I wasnt interested in just painting it jus for da hell of it and hav a dif color I wana add class and styling ( even tho the Ve is maxed out in the class and style category ) lol but you know what I mean. AlSo I wasn't rly even thinking about the gutting part for some reason I thought it was entailed but hypothetically speaking let's say that was done correctly and completely..what would a nice paint job go for let's say one as nice and shiney as when it came outa the factory.
Btw that's awesome you got a red ve its cool too ur dad skooled u a lil on da consequences of painting ur car made you appreciate the color more.

Originally Posted by chrome91
go black and white and have a panda 3rd gen
Hahah chrome that was funny man I cnt rly imagine the third gen keeping its coolness with the panda treatment
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM

James92se: yo james those are some sickkkk picss that's a super clean ride a lot of kudos. two things - I never thought you'd b a single tip exhuast guy lol I didn't thnk many ve owners liked da single tip I always thought the double adds to the uniqueness.

Also where the hell is ur centerpiece? I never seen that before on anyone elses third gen, is there a reason you did that or you just wanted a solid black look in the back or somthin? It looks hot but at the sametime I can't put my finger on whether it fits lol def magazine worthy third gen tho
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM

yeah his centerpiece is removed, you can paint over it too or you can get metal made up to fill it (which i may do)

i know another guy on here removed it, and people kept asking him what year Mitsubishi Lancer it was

EDIT James is that a FMIC? i didnt know you were boosted
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Actually the car in these pics came before the blue one. You can see the blue one actually when I first got it (for $200!) in one of the pics. Anyway, the black one in the pics here was from Pennsylvania and had quite a bit of underbody rust. I fixed a good deal of rust on it (like on the rear wheel wells, etc) but just got tired of it. I stripped it and sold it as a stock car.

Everything from the black car is now on the blue one. Although I do have now ANOTHER black VE 5, just not the one in these pics
Got any recent pics of the Blue?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BklynsmoeVE
James92se: yo james those are some sickkkk picss that's a super clean ride a lot of kudos. two things - I never thought you'd b a single tip exhuast guy lol I didn't thnk many ve owners liked da single tip I always thought the double adds to the uniqueness.

Also where the hell is ur centerpiece? I never seen that before on anyone elses third gen, is there a reason you did that or you just wanted a solid black look in the back or somthin? It looks hot but at the sametime I can't put my finger on whether it fits lol def magazine worthy third gen tho
Well, it's just a single tip because it's the GReddy catback. That whole bugle horn looking tip is kind of their "thing".

Here you can see what it looks like without the rear valence covering it up:

I actually used to have the center piece painted black but I spilled fiberglass resin all over it when I was working on fitting the Q45t spoiler, so I just removed it. It wasn't supposed to be a style statement or anything, just laziness on my part

I had also already began to build a shaved trunk lid for it

yeah his centerpiece is removed, you can paint over it too or you can get metal made up to fill it (which i may do)

i know another guy on here removed it, and people kept asking him what year Mitsubishi Lancer it was

EDIT James is that a FMIC? i didnt know you were boosted
Yep that's the johnnyracecar.com FMIC. I was never fully functioning boosted but I did build a complete turbo setup for it (minus oil lines/fittings/other small misc. stuff). By the time I finished the "kit" I'd already decided to sell that particular car/body, so I removed it all and the "kit" is in the attic to go on the blue car later this year.

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Got any recent pics of the Blue?
Here's my most recent, taken a couple weeks ago after all the snow/ice we got. As you can see it needs some paint work and I'll hopefully be doing that this summer

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Well, it's just a single tip because it's the GReddy catback. That whole bugle horn looking tip is kind of their "thing".

Here you can see what it looks like without the rear valence covering it up:

I actually used to have the center piece painted black but I spilled fiberglass resin all over it when I was working on fitting the Q45t spoiler, so I just removed it. It wasn't supposed to be a style statement or anything, just laziness on my part

I had also already began to build a shaved trunk lid for it

Yep that's the johnnyracecar.com FMIC. I was never fully functioning boosted but I did build a complete turbo setup for it (minus oil lines/fittings/other small misc. stuff). By the time I finished the "kit" I'd already decided to sell that particular car/body, so I removed it all and the "kit" is in the attic to go on the blue car later this year.

Here's my most recent, taken a couple weeks ago after all the snow/ice we got. As you can see it needs some paint work and I'll hopefully be doing that this summer

Looking good james im going to start building my spare maxima engine this year for boost as well. Also trying to get other various gtr 34 pieces to modify the body look before repainting her TK3 again. Skyline R34 styling with maxima powa lol
Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM

FFFuuuuu, my Max has spent more time at the garage than driving so far

first i needed a new radiator, then i got the full exhaust done, and a few days ago a motor mount finally **** out and when i took it in this morning, oil was spewing badly. $900 bill i dont know when it started spewing oil, but it was at the garage for a hour and they called me about how bad it was

i should have a fine machine after all this work gets done though
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 PM

FFFuuuuu, my Max has spent more time at the garage than driving so far

first i needed a new radiator, then i got the full exhaust done, and a few days ago a motor mount finally **** out and when i took it in this morning, oil was spewing badly. $900 bill i dont know when it started spewing oil, but it was at the garage for a hour and they called me about how bad it was

i should have a fine machine after all this work gets done though
I finished the swap and put the VE on the road in Sept...no issues since. I'm just tightening up everything I can in a get it to feel like new kinda way. Clean an simple boys, don't want to attract "Five finger Jack".

Inspirational as usual, James...and I'm getting that aluminum radiator .

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 02-16-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Ewww james your tk3 fender has gold pin strips lol. I can't stand how they ever though of putting pin stripes on a maxima lol
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Sooo sick lookin james. What are you using for headlights? E36 3 series? Is there anythin special that needs to be done to make them fit or is it just minor to no modification? What needed to be done to the q45 spoiler to make it fit?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 PM

the BMW headlights do require some mods to fit, and IIRC James and only 2-3 other people are the only ones to have done it properly

James how did you get the rear centerpiece out? tried it on a junkyard car once and it just kept snapping and i dont think i could do it without scratching the paint. also does it expose anything that shouldnt be around moisture (rain/snow) or no?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Craig brace was the other member with theeuro e36 headlights that looked pretty darn good and i also think brad92se might have been the other member and then there was goon but his were a complete one piece.

As for the center piece, IIRC you need to remove the trunk lid inner trim and i think its either a few 8mm or 10 mm nuts and it will come right off.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Sooo sick lookin james. What are you using for headlights? E36 3 series? Is there anythin special that needs to be done to make them fit or is it just minor to no modification? What needed to be done to the q45 spoiler to make it fit?
They're E36 headlights combined with Wade "clear covers". That plus a bunch of ABS plastic and a week's worth of fabrication/plastic welding and you've got the one piece/sealed units you see in my pics. It is actually a ton of work to do it how I did it.

James how did you get the rear centerpiece out? tried it on a junkyard car once and it just kept snapping and i dont think i could do it without scratching the paint. also does it expose anything that shouldnt be around moisture (rain/snow) or no?
It's attached to the trunk with eight nuts. I'm pretty sure they're 8mm. Just remove the carpet on the underside of the lid and you can see the nuts. Remove the nuts and the center piece comes right off.

When it's off it will leave 8 little holes corresponding to the 8 nuts. But they're pretty little. I went around like that or over a year. I mean, I guess moisture probably does get in there, but very little. It would have to rain literally laterally to get into those holes with any significance.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM

worst case you can bolt it back in right? i already ripped out the lid carpet so i can get the nuts out easily and see how it looks, might try it tomorrow
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Craig brace was the other member with theeuro e36 headlights that looked pretty darn good and i also think brad92se might have been the other member and then there was goon but his were a complete one piece.
Craig and Michael/awsm66 used the Wade covers like me but didn't fully enclose them. So when it rained and stuff they'd get all wet in there. They had the Wade covers just sitting there in front of the E36s

Brad has the Euro ones and had the best Euro install I've ever seen but they just still didn't quite fit right. They're just too bulky to get in there perfectly.

And yeah, goon's were truly one piece including the corner light.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM

worst case you can bolt it back in right? i already ripped out the lid carpet so i can get the nuts out easily and see how it looks, might try it tomorrow
Yep you can just bolt it right back in
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

I have euro e36's but need to redo them becuase the first owner did a very ****ty job of installing them
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM

james did u cut off the bottom part of the bumper so u can see ur intercooler?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM

pretty sure thats just a lip kit
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

Its just the lip kit from stillen

Quick Reply: color change